Kill Switch

OldMan
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 1993 Vs 1400 Intruder

Kill Switch

Post by OldMan »

G'day.
I have a VS1400 in Oz. My kill switch and kickstand have been disconnected so the bike starts with the kickstand down and to turn off I have to turn the key to off position. I'm a bit of an electrical neanderthal but usually, manage to bumble my way through with a digital multimeter. However, the O/L wire from the kill switch (engine stop switch is sitting loose in the headlight bucket and should go to the sidestand relay) has nowhere to connect. Any suggestions or an alternative solution? Remember, assume I'm as sharp as a beach ball with auto electrics.

Thanks
Oldman
Blessed with a great wife, 7 kids, an Aussie Bulldog and a VS 1400 (Joe).

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Kill Switch

Post by WintrSol »

Normally, the third fuse in the fuse box provides power to the side stand relay (SSR), on the O/Y wire, which, when active, provides power through the O/BL wire to the run/stop switch. The output of the run/stop switch is the O/W wire to the starter button switch, coils, fuel pump relay, and igniter. How you disabled the SSR and run/stop switch is what is needed here.

Have you connected the O/W wire (output of run/stop switch) directly to the third fuse in the fuse box, and disconnected the O/Y wire to the SSR from that fuse? If so, the O/BL wire from the side stand switch has no power, and doesn't need to be connected to anything.

If you just jumpered the O/W wire to the O/Y wire, leaving the SSR connected, then you need to insulate the end of the O/BL wire so it doesn't short to ground and blow the fuse.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Thanks for the reply. I bought the bike as an accident write off in 2017, and so inherited the electrical changes. I guess I will have to try and trace the wires back to work it out. Thanks for your help. Your description of how it works is helpful.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

I really hate 'inheriting' someone else's hacks. Good luck sorting this out, but for now, tape the end of that loose wire, just in case.
Florissant, MO

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Thanks, for the moment, I have shrunk wrapped the end. Again I'm sure I get it sorted even if I have to run a fresh wire back. Thanks for taking the time to answer, much appreciated. Here's a reecnt link of me firing it up after some work.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I would be inclined to think the PO jumpered the O/Bl, to the relay, to an O/W in the headlight bucket and jumpered the kickstand switch somewhere like inside the left rear side cover. Both things are fairly easy things to do.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Ok. I joined the 12v O/W in the headlight bucket to the kill switch O/l so that at least it won't start with the kill switch off. This results in having the ignition O/W with nowhere to go i.e to kill the engine. Are any suggestions or just give it up?
Where would I physically run the O/w wire (controlled by the kill switch) to stop the engine i.e. coils?
My apologies for the naive nature of my questions. Cheers.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Do you have the schematic drawing? If yes, get come colored pencils, and we can go through it. If not, send be an email address via PM and I can send you a scanned copy - not the clearest, but adequate.
Florissant, MO

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Download this and you can enlarge it.

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

That'll do. [emoji106]
Florissant, MO

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Thanks to you both.

Previously there was an O/w 12v wire coming in - this was connected to O/w to the starter switch. The kill switch wire O/l was disconnected along with many others (Y/g).

I have connected the kill switch wire O/l (see 1) to the incoming 12v O/w and now the O/w from the starter switch is disconnected (see 2).
This means that the engine won't start unless I have the kill switch turned to on - but I can't stop the engine with the kill switch.

In the headlight bucket, I have 7 wires disconnected ( 2x12v feeds, 1x ground, 3 x Y/g and 1 x O/w).
The 12v and ground are not a problem and are covered.
The 3 x Y/g I assume dare bypassed clutch switches etc.
Then there is the O/w which is the starter switch referred to earlier.
Hope that makes sense.
PS the headlight is temporarily disconnected while working on the electrics.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

The O/W goes to both the starter and tees off in the handlebar to go to the kill switch. Coming out of the kill switch is a gray wire that goes to the side sand relay.

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Just confirming that the S/S has been bypassed.
Just need to figure a way of getting the kill switch to kill the motor. Cheers.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

OldMan wrote:Just confirming that the S/S has been bypassed.
Just need to figure a way of getting the kill switch to kill the motor. Cheers.
I misread the diagram. There is an orange blue wire coming from the sidestand realy that provides power to the kill switch. Coming out of the kill switch as orange white and it tees off after the switch to send power to the ignition system and to the start switch.

If the SS relay is jumpered they have also had to jumper into the ignition wiring which is orange white.

You are going to have to find where they jumpered into the ignition system and put the power back on the orange blue, and run it to the kill switch so that the power can come from the switch.

I would look at how they jumpered the SS relay. What they should have done was jumper the orange yellow to the orange blue, that would have taken the SS relay out of the system. I would be looking for where they jumpered power into the orange white system and they probably did it inside the headlight housing.

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Thanks for your patience and reply.

You are correct. There is no O/l wire coming into the bucket, just an O/w.
I will see if I can find where this was physically done, it doesn't seem to have been done in the bucket, but yes, that would be the obvious place. I will try and pull it all apart and see if I can find it. Atm, the O/w is the power, and I need to find where they jumpered the O/l to the O/w - and then reconnect O/l to O/l and O/w to O/w. Let me know if I have got that right?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

that sounds correct. Just keep in mind that the orage white is power out of the kill switch. The orange blue is power in from the side stand relay. If they jumpered it wrong at the SS relay, the bike may not start or it may not shut off.

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Ok, so I'm pulling the wiring bucket off and tracing the main harness looking for where the O/l was jumped with the O/w. Nothing.
As you can see from the pic, coming from the main harness is the O/w, O/g, Y/g, W/b and they are all joined but there is no O/l!
While I'm at it I will clean up all the crappy connections and wiring - which are a mess.

I have gone back under the seat and can see the two O/w from the coils but there is no O/l at all!
Where should I be looking from here?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Sorry, can't see your pics.

Is the orange/blue that you have coming from the handlebar switch?

Keep in mind that the orange/white would be jumpered to any hot wire, anywhere in the system and the O/Bl could have been removed or the ends cut off where it comes out of a loom.

OldMan
Learning My Moped

Post by OldMan »

Sorry, the pics show up for me. Yes, the O/l is coming from the switch.
Both O/w I can see and trace from the coils to the main harness under the seat.

Where would the O/l start at the loom? Anyone have any idea physically the starting point?
I guess if I can't find it, I'll just give up on the kills switch - as it seems there is no easy solution. Probably a bit above my skills!
Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

The orange/blue starts at the sides stand relay. it gets its power from the orange/yellow. The only place it goes is to the kill switch.

The orange/white goes from the kill switch to a tie point that one side goes to the start button, the other side goes to the coils, the ignitor, and the fuel pump relay. Somewhere in that circuit, someone has applied power to the O/w wire to get the bike to run.