Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Something's Wrong after a long ride

Post by WintrSol »

JamesC wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:22 pm
Are you saying I don't need one of these kits:

https://www.partsgiant.com/p383769-all- ... o&f=121251

I've added Seafoam to the tank but it hasn't helped with this problem.
That kit has way more hard parts than you would need, and doesn't include the hard part that wears the most - the needle jet, because it is pressed in. If you use a JIS screwdriver, instead of a Phillip's, you won't bugger the screws, so won't need those, either.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

DanIII
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 suzuki s83

Post by DanIII »

This kit contains the bowl gaskets and needle valves for $15.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

Thanks, WinterSol. Yes, I saw starter plungers on both carbs on pages 5-5 and 5-6, but I only saw the front one move when I turned the choke knob. The rear carb is harder to see, but I will check out pages 5-18 and 19 and see if I can tell what I should be looking for, then try again tomorrow. But I still think the carbs need to be synched, cleaned, and tuned. I bought it with modifications (exhaust and air filters) but the caps are still on the A/F screws so I know it was never adjusted. What about the link for the kit I posted, is that necessary?

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Oh, sorry Dan111. I didn't see the kit you provided and I didn't read WinterSol's advice about not needing all those "hard parts". It's late and been a long day. Thanks, guys.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

I ordered this carburetor kit from Amazon:

I also posted about my problem on an Intruder Facebook group. I was contacted by a guy who has and FB page called "Fix My Motorcycle". He messaged me and I told him I wanted my carbs cleaned, synched, and tuned. He said he recently did this job on a 1400 just over a week ago. He works in the New York City area, which is where I live, but he doesn't have a shop. He comes to you and will be doing the job in my garage, which I like because I want to watch the work being done. I hate dropping off my bike at a shop and it's been 3 weeks and the bike is still sitting in the shop and then being handed a bill way over estimate being told; "well we ran into this, and we had to order these parts". The guy said he doesn't like giving an exact quote, but he said the other Intruder he did the carbs for cost $400, which sounds reasonable to me. I will let you guys know how this works out, He has me scheduled for next week.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

It's always good to find a reputable wrench in your area.
Most shops don't have a clue about syncing the carbs on a 17 year old bike...most won't take on the job.
Just make sure he does a idle sync AND a throttle sync.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

So Eddie from www.fixmymc.com and his helper Dave came over today to help me clean, tune, and synch my carbs. I had stripped off as much as possible from the bike so they were able to get right to work. They got the carbs off and cleaned the hell out of them. They were gunked up pretty bad. He also used the carb kit I ordered from Amazon that someone posted above. Then we ran into a problem. The floats on the rear carb had split. He told me that the ones on the front carb are plastic, but they have to use brass on the rear carb because it is exposed to a lot more heat, and sometimes they expand which can cause them to split. He tried to solder the two halves together on the one that was split, but no go. Luckily, someone from Connecticut on eBay had some for sale. Eddie's from NYC so he's trying to call the guy so he can pick them up tonight. If so, tomorrow we can put the carbs back on and start tuning and synching. I am happy with his work so far, he's very professional and courteous and explains everything he's doing. I also appreciate all the advice I got from you guys here at Intruders Alert. I will keep you posted about how this turns out. Thank You, fellas.

subin
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 s83

Post by subin »

From what I remember, when you turn the "choke" knob, it should pull both carbs' plungers. Make sure this is correct before going further.
Sync the carbs is relatively easy comparing open the carbs and rebuild them. I would do that next, after making sure the starter plungers are working correctly.

Also, there is something call "coaster valve", if I recall correctly. There were a few of the members in the old intruderalert forum saying that they need to shim them to avoid engine from dying after closing the throttle. I never experienced this with my 2007 s83, though.

Members, please correct me, if I am wrong. Thanks!