POLL: What to do with a flat tire & tube?

What do you do with a punctured inner tube while riding?

Use an appropriate "fix-a-flat" in a can.
No votes
Pull the tire off roadside and replace the tube.
No votes
Call a flatbed.
33%
I don't know.
13%
My tires are tubeless.
20%
Other (please explain below).
33%

Total votes: 15

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: POLL: What to do with a flat tire & tube?

Post by Designer »

I use Ride On Tire Sealant inside my Tires to seal most all punctures the moment they happen.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

Post by DMIntruder »

I voted other because it is highly dependent on the situation. Where you are and how far from help or home you happen to be.

I have had a flat ONE time and it was a front. I was 3 miles from home. I called a friend and had him bring me some Fix-A-Flat. I was stressing and was not thinking about the fact that I had tubed tires, I just wanted my bike back home. I shot this crap in there and took off for home. It did not take long to figure out this was a mistake. The stuff held air for about 1 minute and was rapidly losing inflation. Luckily for me I hit all green lights. AS long as I kept throttle on and weight on the front to a minimum it was somewhat drivable. But when I had to stop for turns it became evident this was a mistake. Besides being nearly impossible to control the bike with a front flat I did some damage to my tire and it needed to be replaced after that.

Perhaps I should have voted for the flatbed....

I would not ever recommend trying to use a tire sealant. My tube was blew and had a 6 inch gash in it. I hit some metal piece on the road. Obviously with tube damage that severe sealant isn't going to work.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Designer wrote:I use Ride On Tire Sealant inside my Tires to seal most all punctures the moment they happen.
You mean this stuff? Ride On

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

YoDude9999 wrote:
Designer wrote:I use Ride On Tire Sealant inside my Tires to seal most all punctures the moment they happen.

Yo-

Yes, that's the stuff. It's interesting that it is show as....."an alternative to lead-based Wheel Weights',....

I noticed that my Front Tire/Fork/Handelbars vibrated alot less after I started using it years ago in conjunction with the existing lead Wheel Weights already installed,.....(please do disregard the weirdo Californians who don't like Lead Wheel Weights,....they're nothing more than overly-reactionary alarmist bizzaros)

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Designer wrote:
YoDude9999 wrote:

Yo-

Yes, that's the stuff. It's interesting that it is show as....."an alternative to lead-based Wheel Weights',....

I noticed that my Front Tire/Fork/Handelbars vibrated alot less after I started using it years ago in conjunction with the existing lead Wheel Weights already installed,.....(please do disregard the weirdo Californians who don't like Lead Wheel Weights,....they're nothing more than overly-reactionary alarmist bizzaros)
Even though I live in CA, Ed you are correct, "overly-reactionary alarmist bizzaros". I just don't happen to be one of them. It just happens to be the only place I've found that my technical experiences are found to be of value.

Yo-

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

YoDude9999 wrote: Even though I live in CA, Ed you are correct, "overly-reactionary alarmist bizzaros". I just don't happen to be one of them. It just happens to be the only place I've found that my technical experiences are found to be of value. Yo-
Ah so! So velly solly Yankee Dog! :bow:

Did not mean to include you in that Quite Irrational Cluster-phuck that Globalizes Disaster to include All Lead into an 'Evil Incarnate' that believes it must be expunged wholesale from the World in order to save it. WaddaBunchaArseholes :uhh:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Ed, I agree, this state sucks ass about certain things, probably almost everything. It seems to be the, 'testing grounds' for things to come in the future, that eventually end up spreading throughout the land. I am sorry for that. I offer to you my apologies for what the state has been and done to erode away a lot of the things that should never have happened, but of course, it means nothing to you because I personally can't do jack shit to change anything here.

I'm sure you've heard there's a want from some whom wish to break up CA into six smaller states. I personally would love to see this happen. In reality, it would likely have a profound effect on the Nation as a whole, probably for the better, as I could only hope.

Yo-

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Well, I guess Ed was pissed about the whole lead thing.

Yo-

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

I'm so confused. My tires have spring time fresh air. Does that count?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Man this is my first time reading this thread... and WOW look at the answers. :bonk: :bonk:
back in the day when we were riding much lighter bikes than what we have now we always carried a few extra tubes, some really long, wide flat bladed screw drivers with us.
There was no problem just laying the bike down on its side and the removing the wheel and using the screw drivers to take the tire off the wheel, replacing the tube and putting the tire back on the bike... you just had to be extra careful not to pinch the tube against the rim when re installing the tire.
then the real problem began trying to find a air pump, but back then air was free and every station or tire place had one...And we always carried a hand pump... it didn't always do the trick but it did get enough air in the tire to get you to a big enough air pump , just couldn't go too fast. [emoji106]

I carry the instant liquid stuff in the can..like "ride on" it will do the trick once you've filled the hole up with a rubber stick. it is a mess when they go to change the tire ( If you decide to change the tire afterwards) and most dealers will charge you extra to change one with the filler in it.

there is always going to be that argument about replacing the tire after patching it...that will go on forever..
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I said "other" because it depends on where you are, what you have and the type of flat.

I have pulled the wheel, took the tire loose on one side and pulled the tube, patched it and put it back together.

Another time the tube had a big tear in it and it required replacement, had to get a friend to bring me a tube.

My experience with the patch in a can has never been good with a tube, worked pretty good with a tubeless tire & wheel though.

I usually carry one of the 12vdc air compressors ( when going more than 10 miles from home), have a cig lighter on the bike, and air isn't a problem.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.