Holy diaphragms

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Holy diaphragms

Post by Fred »

Never mind all this glue and epoxy on You tube --I found a good way of fixing holes. First of all its not really a hole is it --its sort of an abrasion revealing the fabric in the rubber diaphragm. You cant stick to this -- not for long so here's what to do.

Make the hole bigger,--1 to 2 mm is good. You could melt a hole with a soldering iron---carefully. Then get a hot glue gun and place a blob of hot glue on the hole and squeeze it through,---either side. Wet your thumb and fore finger and squeeze the blob of glue just enough so it makes a type of rivet identical from one side to the other. This can not come out as It is one solid lump and not relying on adhesion to the diaphragm. Works for me--well lets say its still in there and lasting longer than super glue.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Holy diaphragms

Post by Herb »

having problems with the holes myself, and being a cheap bastid, I tried repairing them with RTV. While it lasted for awhile, it seemed to want to come off and required fixing again.

I had some of the rubber coating that is sold to coat handles of tools and cloth gloves. I bought it to repair chipped places on a dishwasher rack. Worked well on the rack.

I found that if I put a drop on each side of the hole, wet my fingers and pushed it into the fabric, that fred mentions, it would set up good and still be flexable in about 2 hours.

Since3 I first tried it I have repaired new holes a couple of times and the first repairs were holding good. Since it is much thinner than the RTV it seems to push into the fabric much better.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

That seems to be the trick--to bog it from both sides. How many holes have you got,--- I only got one on the front !!!

I Have seen those cheaper after market diaphragms they look ok and all seem to say they work well.

Thing is they don't have the air bleed hole that the BDS 36 needs. Im not sure if it can be adapted and the web site that seems to go out of its way to explain every little detail omits any information about the BDS 36.

Have you thought about a womans contraception diaphragm. On investigation they do a large that is big enough. Ive never seen one or are familiar with them at all apart from Internet pictures. Ive had a few embarrassing conversations in the pharmacies to find that they are not used in Thailand. Maybe in America you can get them.

If they are non leaded resistant they could work. What a hoot if they did.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Actually I posted the low cost diaphram info on the other carb thread.

The site says that one of their diaphrams will work on the BDS36, with modification. I would imagine that the MOD has to do with the extra bleed hole.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Oh --I had'nt seen that, but making a hole of 1mm is difficult --its a little more than a pin prick, probably a red hot pin might work. Still expensive in comparison to a toilet plunger that looks remarkably similar.