Don't touch the exhaust

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: Don't touch the exhaust

Post by jonnycando »

I wonder if reversion isn't just back pressure gone wild? A certain amount is needed for good bottom end and midrange torque....Too much and you get spitting out the air intake. In other words....what ever you focus on, the cure is the same.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Jonny -there is 2 kinds of shock waves, sonic and thermal. Amazingly thermal is the fastest. The shock waves are not blasts of gases but a shock traveling through the air like you feel on your chest from loud speakers at a concert.

Place a peice of paper in front of a speaker and see what happens. This shock bounces back and travels close to the outer edge of the pipe. Some attempts have been made to mechanically stop reversion such as fish tail exhaust and reversion cones --google it.

At a certain RPM the shock bounces back and if it arrives at the same time that the exhaust is still open on overlap and the inlet is also open the shock goes right through the engine.

This technology is also applied to inlet manifolds. Look at any modern car with long inlets stretching over the engine to accommodate the length required to use shock. Get this inlet shock correct so that it meets the inlet valve open,-- a super charge of fuel air mix is possible, so much so that it can compete with the similar performance of a turbo.

An engines performance starts with the air filter and ends at the tail pipe, a very careful choreographed design < Unless you realy know what you are doing . Don't touch the exhaust

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

... verrry interesting ...

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

98VS1400 wrote:
Fred wrote:An engines performance starts with the air filter and ends at the tail pipe, a very careful choreographed design. Unless you really know what you are doing, Don't touch the exhaust
Next time, open with this...
Im giving you my time and knowledge of 7 years in technical college and 40 year of experience in the motor trade.
Other people can understand it and are interested even if you are not.

You ungrateful cunt.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Im giving you my time and knowledge of 7 years in technical college and 40 year of experience in the motor trade.
Other people can understand it and are interested even if you are not.

You ungrateful cunt.
Fred, why are you calling one of my moderators, "an ungrateful cunt"?

Is there a need for that or are you just pressing your luck to the maximum of my tolerance?

I have a REAL problem with you not RESPECTING the other members here.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Respect-- now thats an interesting word for this forum. I would'nt mind a little bit blowing over my direction too.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Fred, you have to EARN that respect! It's not a given prerequisite! At least not in YOUR case!

Yo-

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

:confused: You mean LEARN that.....

Ive told you before I am not American , I dont speak American and dont act like an American, please reset your tolerance levels of individuals not conforming to your un cosmopolitan expectations.

If I was American I would say yeah ha done gonna git me a bad boy and screw that puppy down ''dude' This I assume is in reference to some maniac prison escapee performing horrible things to helpless animals. Heay its what some one wrote on the oil filter thread. :bang: :lolfall:

Im going for a hair cut,----yeah I got some. [emoji41]

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Yep I agree....respect is earned. I give it to no one is not respectable. Well, I will for the sake of peace meet new people with respect, and fortunately I am usually rewarded with some!

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Unfortunately ol' Fred here hasn't figured that part out yet.

Yo-

JPJ61
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS1400GLP

Post by JPJ61 »

Fred speaks the truth. There is science to exhaust tuning and zero back pressure does not make streetable horsepower. We learned this lesson in the 1980s with headers on otherwise stock street v-8's , all we got was lousy throttle response and poor fuel economy.