pop/clunk from clutch?

Blackout
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 17 FLHXS

pop/clunk from clutch?

Post by Blackout »

She's been sitting this winter due to a recent move and some electrical issues that kept it from starting :bang: . Now I have the starting issue fixed :clap: but a clutch issue has popped up.

When pulling in the clutch lever at about halfway I hear this pop/clunk sound from the clutch area on the right side of the bike. I changed the fluid at the end of last summer and know I need to bleed some air from the line because the bike wants to walk when in first gear but I don't think that's causing the sound, I also don't recall this noise the last time I rode it.

I thought maybe it was just sticking and tried to take it for a ride only to find that my head bearings are shot :hellfire:, and trying to ride it more than a couple of blocks would probably end up with us both needing surgery.

So right now she's up on blocks in the garage while I wait for bearings to arrive, but I'm wondering what could be causing the pop/clunk sound if the clutch isn't sticking. :confused:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: pop/clunk from clutch?

Post by jonnycando »

The discs stick together and everything that moves gets kind of stuck as well, so everything makes a noise when you pull the handle and force it to loosen up. You'll really hear a clunk when you try to take off the first time! But after she gets rolling and warmed up she'll be her old self. Winter is hard on bikes. If it is in otherwise good shape and just layed up, it's good idea to start it once or twice a month and run it up to temperature. On Intruders always park it with fork turned to the right. That will keep the clutch master cylinder as high as possible and help avoid sucking in air.

The steering head bearings do have a service life. Luckily mine had already been replaced when I bought my Intruder......very worth doing.

Blackout
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Blackout »

I was able to take it for a short ride last weekend. That's when I noticed the pop/clunk sound when pulling the lever, and then also found out about the head bearings, but didn't hear anything (like clutch plates freeing up) when I took off.

That's why I wondered if it really is stuck plates, or something else. Is that the most likely culprit or could it be something else?

TIA

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

It's true there is normally some kind of sound....being hydraulic....the pushrod may have just a bit of clearance and when you squeeze the handle, the servo pushes on the pushrod, and clunk!...it hits the release mechanism.....normally you won't hear it when running much, but if you got a blob of air in the line it could make a wider clearance for the pushrod to use up before it hits the release, then maybe more clunk. But if the line is well bled, I am pretty sure it will quiet down as the weather warms.

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Bleed the line, if it has been stood for a while the fluid is probably de-natured with condensates. Drain half the oil out of the engine, top up with MMO take it for a good hard blast with loads of shifting, get it good and hot. Change out the oil and replace the filter and you should find your problem solved.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Blackout
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Blackout »

Thanks all. I was finally able to burp out some air from the clutch slave cylinder and the lever now feels the best it's been since I bought her last year.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

You might want to get a rebuild kit for the clutch master cylinder....nice tight seals are the best insurance against air suckage!

Blackout
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Blackout »

I considered that, and will certainly look at rebuilding the clutch master if I have any more trouble with it.

Thanks!