Lights Out!

Swapiti
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 01 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Lights Out!

Post by Swapiti »

My bike won't turn on! Yesterday my low beam headlight went out on my way to work. I used my high beam the next morning, went to work, then came out to start it and NOTHING came on. No signal lights, brake, or dash lights. I thought I just turned the key the wrong way and drained the battery. I took the battery out and charged it fully. The battery is only a month old and works great, so I doubt it's that. I pulled the left side cover and checked the fuses but they all looked good... Any advise?

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: Lights Out!

Post by jonnycando »

Well, my guess would be the charging system has gone kaputt. But there may be yet another issue lurking....such as a short, not all shorts will blow a fuse, and if they don't burn up they will drain the battery. After you charged the battery did you get something? That would be helpful info.

Swapiti
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Swapiti »

After a charged battery i still didn't get anything..

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

Load test your battery. If it tests good, check your fuses with a meter.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

Neobudda
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 96 vs 1400

Post by Neobudda »

I would check your ground connections. Had a very similar issue a few years back and it turned out to be the ground that's located near the rear brake reservoir. vibration and weather had worn away a rubber spacer, tightened the connection and all was well. Check fuses as well.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

enforcer wrote:Load test your battery. If it tests good, check your fuses with a meter.
Yes, use a meter. You can't always tell a blown fuse simply by looking at it. Use a meter and BE SURE!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Swapiti
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Swapiti »

UPDATE.
First thing I did was to check my battery for voltage (read 13.26 VDC), made sure my terminal connections were right and on tight with a wrench, then checked my grounds and the continuity of ALL the wires. I took the battery to get load tested and they told me that it needed a better charge to test it, so I put it on my trickle charger for two days. Checked it again (13.24VDC), brought it to two places to get it load tested and it wouldn't apparently hold a charge long enough for either of them to test it. Swapped out the old battery for a new battery and a new LED headlight bulb, and all the lights turn on now! :cheers:
I thought that the battery would have still been good being only 4 weeks old, but I will never assume it's not the battery again!! :bang:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Well, who knows what was wrong with the battery you had...but infant death is the most common failure in electrical things. That said, Intruders are very touchy when it comes to the battery. It has to be tip top at all times or all sorts of strange things will happen. I do recommend a Battery Tender and keep your bike connected to it at all times while it is parked at home.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

Intruders are the most battery dependant bikes on the planet. And any battery can go bad, even one that's brand-new. Keep the rubber side down.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I bought a new battery and 2 days later I was going down the road and the bike quit. The battery only had 4 volts in it. Put a batter from another bike in it and the charging system checked good.

Battery just chit itself.

Chit happens...
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.