Driver back rest

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Driver back rest

Post by Leckbass »

Guys, lower back has been hurting on long rides and thinking about a driver backrest. Any suggestions? Right now I have a Corbin seat.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Re: Driver back rest

Post by enforcer »

Protac used to make them. I think they were about $150. Something to check into.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

I had a Protac on my S50: http://www.protac.net/
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

Great thanks, I'll check it out

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Protac is what I've put on my S83, stock seat. No more sore back.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

I'm not exactly sure what is so great. When I had my Intruder, handlebars and foot placement cured most of my sore back. The seat did the rest.

The Harley doesn't have one, but again the foot placement and handlebars are just right. And there is a sight contour to the seat. There is a cutout and bracket in place if I'd like to add one, but I don't see the need.

The V Star is the first bike I owned to include one, and with the stock bars I didn't need it. I've since changed to drags and only now use it to keep me leaned slightly forward. More of a crutch than a rest. I'm contemplating a switch to mini apes, which I'm almost certain would negate the need for the backrest altogether. Only time will tell, but I standby my observations thus far.

To add, my BMW didn't have one either and that grew to become one of the most comfortable seating positions I've ridden to date.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

Back has been sore no matter what I do lately so I figured it would help slightly on the motorcycle

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

I have back issues as well, but haven't on my bikes thus far, with the correct control setups.

But, to each his own. I hope Protac can help you out.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

The back rest, alone, made little difference for me, except after I got a good set of highway pegs mounted. Then, when my feet were up, my back pressed against the back rest, taking the load off my arms, and making it feel like I was sitting in an easy chair. I guess it depends on your body, as my friend has one on his C90T, and it makes a big difference for him, with or without using the highway pegs.
Florissant, MO

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

WintrSol wrote:The back rest, alone, made little difference for me, except after I got a good set of highway pegs mounted. Then, when my feet were up, my back pressed against the back rest, taking the load off my arms, and making it feel like I was sitting in an easy chair. I guess it depends on your body, as my friend has one on his C90T, and it makes a big difference for him, with or without using the highway pegs.
I bought highway peg this winter and have been adjusting them to no end...can't find a sweet spot that I like. Never feel comfortable using them.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

I set mine up lower than most do, so that my knees remain below my hips, and legs down, as though sitting in a relaxing chair, not a LazyBoy. They straighten my knees a bit, instead of having my feet under me, but not straight out, as some place them. Thing is, feet forward made me lean back some, straining my shoulders and wrists, which is where the back rest comes in.
Florissant, MO

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Never had a drivers back rest on any of my motorcycles.My back is not that great but last year at age 69 did my second longest day on a over 900 mile one from near the Colorado/Kansas line to home.Low bars,pegs at a good spot to stand often is what works best for me.My 1400 sure was not great for that.Made some extra pegs for it on trips.My Vstrom and plain jane sportster were both great stock for it.My lots of sport bikes were not bad as the lean took pressure of my lower bike and like my Vstrom used a tank bag on out of state trips to lay on some.Back then the rear pegs on them were lots lower so you could use them solo for another spot when laying on the tank bag.The more you move and the more places to put your legs and feet the better off you are IMO.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

I put the highway pegs back on and then adjusted them so I could lean the outer edge of my boot on it.

Legs felt a little spread out, but comfortable.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

Did about 50 miles on them this morning.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I mildly bruised the lowest disk in my spine, and goodness; I could sure tell riding what I had done to myself!...turned my shocks down to the mushy setting....that helped. But it took three weeks of healing to really seal the deal. All in all, back problems respond best to going on about life. Obviously if you are herniated and it's tickling your spinal cord, that needs different work. Some Corbin seats seem to have a back rest socket. And the back rest that goes in it might be had on Ebay....people get them and find they didn't like them for whatever reason and flog them at good prices. My Rocket 3 came with a Corbin seat which had a backrest socket, and I found one to fit on Ebay. I am not sure you can get the seat prepped for a backrest new, with getting the backrest at the same time, so a Protac or something similar might be best if you are not investing in a whole seat.