Changing Brake pads

Tripseven
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Sold it for an 82 Corvette

Changing Brake pads

Post by Tripseven »

My bike now has 3600 miles on it, up from the 2800 when I got it. The rear seemed mushy and the front wasn't much better. I looked at the pads and was suprised that they needed changing. Sooner rather than later.

I've never done it before, but it looked straight forward, both front and rear took me twenty minutes total to change out.

Now either this is the easiest bike EVER to change pads on,or I completely missed something.

I pulled the dust cover,
pulled the two little kotter keys,
pulled the pins, (got nailed in the forehead by one spring)
found both springs, :big grin:
Pulled one pad half way out and used it to lever the drum back into the caliper,
Repeated for the other pad,
put the shims on the new pad and slid it into place,
repeat for the second pad,
pushed one pin in, hooked the springs under that pin,
started the second pin, poked the spring down,
pushed the pin into the second pad mashed the spring down, and drove the pin home
put both kotter keys back in,
Replace dust cover.

Repeat for front brake. Except getting nailed in the head, and losing the springs for a few minutes.
Sat on the bike and pumped the brakes a few times seems perfect.
Took my life in my hands for a ride...

My only question is whats the average miles these pads will last? I'm sure these were the factory pads, so that makes them 10 years old with a measley 350 miles per year driven.

I'd love to be in the movies, but I have a face for radio, a voice for writing, and arthritis

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Re: Changing Brake pads

Post by Jolsen »

Depends on where and how the bike was stored. I needed new pads every 2k miles on one of my race machines. Last set on the sender 1400 I got 7k before I changed them. I glazed the pads bad I don't cruise well. :cheers:
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

I changed my front pads recently. I'm sure they've been changed at least twice before. I had an annoying squeal from the front brakes even with modest lever movement. I would get looks from people. Finally, I changed the pads to EBC semi-sintered and put a dab of silicone adhesive on both backing plate tins, letting it cure overnight. Squeal is gone and it brakes like a charm. Rear brake pads are still good. And yes, change the fluid.

Salty
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Salty »

Yes make sure you use disc brake anti squeal on the back of the pads too...ASK ME HOW I KNOW :lolfall: