Why does my bike cut off when I come to a stop?

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1998 Intruder 1400

Why does my bike cut off when I come to a stop?

Post by D98vs1400 »

I dont understand why my bike has a drop in idle as I come to a stop and half the time it fully shuts off. When on the road, shes fine, then as I'm slowing, when I pull in the clutch the engine RPMs drop. I have to keep slight throttle going after pulling the clutch to prevent her from shutting off. ;IDunno: :bang:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Why does my bike cut off when I come to a stop?

Post by Lechy »

First do an AF adjustment both carbs, next increase the idle speed using the black knob rear carb right hand side. Then do a carb synch, or do a synch at the same time you do the AF adjustment.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

KennyFSU
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1991 Suzuki Intruder 750

Post by KennyFSU »

Vacuum leak?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

KennyFSU wrote:Vacuum leak?
A drop from normal idle followed by a slow return (if it doesn't die) when the throttle is closed usually indicates too rich. Poor sync and too low idle setting can contribute.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

WintrSol wrote:
KennyFSU wrote:Vacuum leak?
A drop from normal idle followed by a slow return (if it doesn't die) when the throttle is closed usually indicates too rich. Poor sync and too low idle setting can contribute.
well that's good to know. I just did a sync last week followed by a resync after a few days, on monday. The idle and throttle sync were on point after the 2nd sync. So that means all eyes point to richness? I might need to dial back my A/F screws? Maybe bump idle up a little? I have it currently at around 1000-1050 (using a digital tach to get those numbers).

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

While you are checking all this also check your charging. Erratic charging may also be a problem here.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Try resetting the pilot screws to 1-3/4 turns back from gently seating them, then tweak from there.
Florissant, MO

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

hillsy wrote:While you are checking all this also check your charging. Erratic charging may also be a problem here.
How is that done? Checking battery while off, while turning on, while on, and while on with throttle? Or are you refering to just checking rectifier?

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

WintrSol wrote:Try resetting the pilot screws to 1-3/4 turns back from gently seating them, then tweak from there.
So are you saying, turn them all the way in gently until they stop and then turn back 3/4 to 1 turn open, and then tweak?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

D98vs1400 wrote:
hillsy wrote:While you are checking all this also check your charging. Erratic charging may also be a problem here.
How is that done? Checking battery while off, while turning on, while on, and while on with throttle? Or are you refering to just checking rectifier?
Pretty much all of those. Connect a voltmeter to the battery terminals and check idle voltage v rev voltage.

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

hillsy wrote:
D98vs1400 wrote:
Pretty much all of those. Connect a voltmeter to the battery terminals and check idle voltage v rev voltage.
What am I looking for? Should the voltage stay steady regardless of throttling or idling?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

D98vs1400 wrote:
WintrSol wrote:Try resetting the pilot screws to 1-3/4 turns back from gently seating them, then tweak from there.
So are you saying, turn them all the way in gently until they stop and then turn back 3/4 to 1 turn open, and then tweak?
Yeah, fractions are hard to show without confusion; that should be 1.75 turns out.
Florissant, MO

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

D98vs1400 wrote:
hillsy wrote:
D98vs1400 wrote:
What am I looking for? Should the voltage stay steady regardless of throttling or idling?
Depending on your meter, Voltage should rise above idle and level off. With some meters, because of how they work, it may drop somewhat as rpm continue to rise. But, if it wanders around, you have a charging problem. Just let us know what the readings are at what rpm, and we can guess from there.
Florissant, MO

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

WintrSol wrote:
D98vs1400 wrote:
Yeah, fractions are hard to show without confusion; that should be 1.75 turns out.
Oh I see. Ok cool. Thanks!!

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

hillsy wrote:Depending on your meter, Voltage should rise above idle and level off. With some meters, because of how they work, it may drop somewhat as rpm continue to rise. But, if it wanders around, you have a charging problem. Just let us know what the readings are at what rpm, and we can guess from there.
Ok I see. Thank you! Will keep you posted

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

WintrSol wrote:Yeah, fractions are hard to show without confusion; that should be 1.75 turns out.
Oh I see. Ok cool. Thanks!![/quote]

Ok so after I got home from work, I made the adjustment. The front carb had the screw out quite a ways so maybe that was the culprit but I set it to 1.75 turns from all the way in, on both. Still sounds good so will take a spin and see if it still stalls.

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

hillsy wrote:Depending on your meter, Voltage should rise above idle and level off. With some meters, because of how they work, it may drop somewhat as rpm continue to rise. But, if it wanders around, you have a charging problem. Just let us know what the readings are at what rpm, and we can guess from there.
Ok so I just got home from work and measure it out.
VOLTAGE:
-off= 13.69
-turning on= dipped to 11.6
-on idling= 14.52
-throttling@3000RPM= steady 17.95

Interesting note: while I was waiting to get a steady idle reading cuz her voltage just kept climbing, the bike kinda stuttered a few times here and there as if she were about to turn off. Like a weird quick pause of the engine... ;IDunno:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Maybe your voltmeter is out because just shy of 18 volts is way too high. Should be about 15 max.

Also 13.7 stationary is not right either - should be 12.8.

If it realy IS 18v you will fry your battery.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

[quote="D98vs1400]
VOLTAGE:
-off= 13.69[/quote]
Was this directly after running the engine? Also, where did you place the meter probes?
That is very low, unless the battery is near dead. Again, where are the probes?
-on idling= 14.52

Interesting note: while I was waiting to get a steady idle reading cuz her voltage just kept climbing, the bike kinda stuttered a few times here and there as if she were about to turn off. Like a weird quick pause of the engine... ;IDunno:
Those are very strange readings. If the probes were at the battery terminals, the battery is really bad. If somewhere else, it could be poor connections between that somewhere and the terminals.
Florissant, MO

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

WintrSol wrote:[quote="D98vs1400]
VOLTAGE:
-off= 13.69
Was this directly after running the engine? Also, where did you place the meter probes?
That is very low, unless the battery is near dead. Again, where are the probes?
-on idling= 14.52

Those are very strange readings. If the probes were at the battery terminals, the battery is really bad. If somewhere else, it could be poor connections between that somewhere and the terminals.[/quote][/quote]
I had alligator clips extension cables attached to the probes and connected the other ends of the clips directly at the terminals. Yes it was directly after running the engine. I had just gotten home from work, went inside to grab voltmeter and got to work checking. Siiiiigh, aaaaand here I was happy thinking I had great readings lol. :bang: