Decompression adjustment help.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Decompression adjustment help.

Post by Herb »

Sirdax wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:30 pm
I did that. Okay, well,I'm pretty acclimatted to the motorcycle community. I don't wanna throw $$ at trying to eliminate things. You were awesome at the insight. . That was awesome!! I really appreciate it. But, if it's not a starter problem or, decompression valve solenoid problem, wth. Lol. It's kicking my butt. Is there a possibility that, something is wrong in the front cylinder , not letting the valve solenoid to be working correctly? Or, am I just being too . Well, ya know. Once ya get frustrated. Ya kinda go crazy on things. Lol
Frustation at not being able to solve a problem can be the most frustating thing in the world and electrical problems can be a real bitch. Especially if it is actually the mechanical portion.

I don't remember the internal of the mechanical protion of the compression release. I have most of an old engine here and will pull the valve cover tommorow to see what it actually does. It has been over 10 years since I had an engine apart and wasn't specifically looking at the compression release system.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Sirdax wrote:
I did that. Okay, well,I'm pretty acclimatted to the motorcycle community. I don't wanna throw $$ at trying to eliminate things. You were awesome at the insight. . That was awesome!! I really appreciate it. But, if it's not a starter problem or, decompression valve solenoid problem, wth.
We didn't know the level of Experience(s) you have with motorcycles, so perhaps our suggestions might have been a bit basic (?) Always wise to test and check before throwing money at problem solving. :ShitGrinandThumb:
Since it is a 2006 and was not running when you bought it. there's no telling how long it has been sitting. :space: I assume you performed all the cleaning of the electrical connections, right?
My suggestion of pulling the Plugs will beget less resistance of the Pistons movement, much more so than the Decomp Systems "helping hand" in assisting the Starter Motor to turn the Engine over. :space: With the hopes that you would see the Starting System turning the Engine over as it should....and allow you to check the Action/Timing of the Decomp Systems operation.

Sirdax wrote:
......Lol. It's kicking my butt. Is there a possibility that, something is wrong in the front cylinder , not letting the valve solenoid to be working correctly? Or, am I just being too . Well, ya know. Once ya get frustrated. Ya kinda go crazy on things. Lol
Only natural! :space: When trouble shooting if the first ideas aren't it, you keep searching the less often likely sources.

By pulling the plugs and taking Compression out of the mix, you make for the least possible resistance to movement and a good test of your suspected Front Cylinder problem.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Sirdax
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 06 Suzuki vs1400 boulevard s83

Post by Sirdax »

I appreciate the help guys, I really do. Well, my level of experience is more than the average person, I'd say. My dad had 7 motorcycle shops from the 70's - 2000. I was raised in them. Was babysat in them all the way till I was 30 yrs old I've probably changed more tires than almost anyone. Lmao. Chains sprockets. Did some racing, myself and, built my bikes. Growing up. Used to clean carbs and calibrate on the old boat weights goldwings. Whew, what fun that was. Lol. But, I've just never been so set aside myself on this 1400 . It's getting to where I wanna throw it in the lake. And, never see it again. I see where there was a post , letting me know the decompression solenoid was a cheap fix. Well, only ones I can find look 100 time worse than the one I have. And it's reading ohms from closed pos to open pos. Nice and smooth. I ordered another starter. Also battery. Even tho this battery is reading 12.4 v. I guess I'm gonna spend a lot to figure out it was something I'm just missing. No seeing. Thanks guys. I'll keep ya posted.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Please keep us informed of what you find.

I am sure that someone else will have a similar issue and maybe we can point them in the right direction.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

I said the starter solenoids are cheap to replace. You didn't say you'd changed that so if you haven't....that's what I would recommend just to rule it out.