Anyone put a Windshield on S83 with drag bars

Uxbridge Brule
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 S83 83 750Maxim 06 WR250

Anyone put a Windshield on S83 with drag bars

Post by Uxbridge Brule »

I'm looking to put a windshield on my 2007 S83 with stock drag bars. The Memphis shades slim is what I'm looking at but with the risers I'm wondering what height would work with little head buffering. They come in 15" and 17" heights ( I'm 5' 11). I like the Memphis Shades because they can be taken off easily or at least that's what the website says. If anyone has put on a windshield Memphis or not I'd love to know what has worked or didn't and why.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Anyone put a Windshield on S83 with drag bars

Post by navigator »

The Memphis slim mounts to the forks so the risers do not affect mounting. The fork mounts are adjustable for the height and angle.
On one of the wifes bikes I flipped the mounts over to move the windshield rearward. That did not change the buffeting, but helped remove the illumination from the signals. She complained about light from the signals lighting up the glass, running a black sharpie around the edge cured that.

i run a 17" Memphis slim on my S50 with drag bars, I'm 5'7, it works fine.
I put a 15" on the wifes S50 because we cut her seat height down, she is 5'6.

You can to some degree, angle it to change the air and buffeting. ( I use the standard mounting kit.)
You want to look over the glass rather than thru it.
Sit on your bike and have someone hold a tape measure over the headlight for you. I suspect you will want the 17"

The mounting kit is sold separately from the glass. They have a quick connect one for a little more cash than the standard one, but the glass with the standard mount removes quickly....just be sure to tighten the lugs so the don't vibrate off.

I highly recommend the Memphis slim.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have the buckhorn bars and use the 17" high Memphis shades slim. I had the 15" but the wind coming over the top caused a hell of a rattle from my modular helmet and if I was riding with the chin guard up it tried to pull the helmet off the back of my head, even at speeds as slow as 30 mph. When my wife ran over the bike and destroyed the windshield I used the chance to up it to 17".
The way the brackets mount to the forks the type of bars won't matter.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Uxbridge Brule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Uxbridge Brule »

Thanks for the replies good to hear from people who have used the products. My concern about the risers was more to do with their height and would the 15" be toshort to give any real wind relief. Nice hearing there are some different ways to mount them, never would have thought you could flip them. I plan to use the bike for some touring and might look at a modular helmet I think 17" it is I like my helmets to stay on my head. :lol:

Travlin
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: Ummmmmmmm a 1400

Post by Travlin »

What are you trying to do with the windshield? Get the air off you face or just take the wind pressure off your chest.?

My 87 has drag bars and MS on it. Mines short, I think an Allycat?? Mount slipped down I take air in the face and not in the chest. Slip it up 2" for traveling on the hiway and at 75 80 wind is out of my face, hits me on the top of the helmet. I'm 5'10".

Keeps the wind from leaning on me at all speeds.

Uxbridge Brule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Uxbridge Brule »

Trying to have less wind on my chest. The speed limit here is 100km and if you ride at 120km you are keeping up with trafic do that for a tank and it can make a day trip long. Any one have any pictures with their windshield on the bikes?

Painlesstom
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2004 VS1400GL

Post by Painlesstom »

I've got a windshield on my 2004 VS1400, would post a pic but doesn't appear to be any way to add an attachment. :dunno:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have the Memphis Shades Slim on my 1400 and it works great. Like was said above it mounts to the forks so the bars don't make any difference.

I am 5'7" and have the buckhorn bars so I sit up straight and the 17" works great.

If the drag bars cause you to lean forward the 15 inch might be better.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Painlesstom
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2004 VS1400GL

Post by Painlesstom »

Here's my 2004 vs1400 I swapped drag bars and windshield from my 2009 S50.

Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 1400 Intruder

Post by Night_Wolf »

My 2006 has the drag bars & a MS shield; picture taken @ a local Show & Shine

Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Intruder Alert Canada/Night_Wolf's Lair

Alberta Adventure Riders

2006 VS1400 Image 2020 V85TT Image

Uxbridge Brule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Uxbridge Brule »

Thanks for the pictures, the bikes look great. I ended up going with the National Cycle Ranger shield because my wife saw me doing research and liked that it can take an impact better than the MS shield supposedly. It looks great but was a bugger to put on and adjust. I haven't done too many rides with it yet and might have to get rid of it because at anywhere over 80kph(50mph) it's like getting hit by 1000 little fists. I've tried adjusting the height and angle 4 or 5 times. If I move my head to the right or left of the windshield smooth clean air. I even tried a Amazon knock off clip-on wing it helped but the first time I tried to adjust it at the gas station the clips holding one side on shattered. I had to ride home one hand on the throttle the other holding the wing. I guess you get what you pay for.