2005 s83 starting issues

Tarlyt8000
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 s83 boulevard

2005 s83 starting issues

Post by Tarlyt8000 »

Hi all

Having a few problems with my s83

Basically ive fitted 19 inch apes and had hoses and cables made longer and my buddy has extended the wires for the switch controls and hidden them inside the bars

We are now having problems getting her to turn over/start up

I thought my battery had gone bad so have just replaced it with a motobatt brand new battery

Before i fit the new battery we struggled to get it to turn over so we jumped it off my buddys car and it started so we thought the battery was bad

Since fitting new battery it doesnt turn over as before but then out of nowhere it turned over and started once but when turned off and tried again it didnt turn over

Would that point towards a bad earth or something as it was totally fine before we started stripping it for the bar change

It started fine everytime

Bike is uk version with immobiliser

Thanks for your help :rock:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: 2005 s83 starting issues

Post by Herb »

I had that kind of problem but it was the terminal at the starter was dirty/corroded. In damp weather it would start fine but with the engine hot or dry weather it wouldn't even turn over.
I realize that when you do work and something goes wrong your first inclination is to think you did something wrong but that isn't always the case.
the best thing to do is t-shoot the issue like it was a new problem that came out of the blue. Even if it is something that you did wrong you will still find the problem.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Tarlyt8000 wrote:Hi all

Having a few problems with my s83

Basically ive fitted 19 inch apes and had hoses and cables made longer and my buddy has extended the wires for the switch controls and hidden them inside the bars

We are now having problems getting her to turn over/start up

I thought my battery had gone bad so have just replaced it with a motobatt brand new battery

Before i fit the new battery we struggled to get it to turn over so we jumped it off my buddys car and it started so we thought the battery was bad

Since fitting new battery it doesnt turn over as before but then out of nowhere it turned over and started once but when turned off and tried again it didnt turn over

Would that point towards a bad earth or something as it was totally fine before we started stripping it for the bar change

It started fine everytime

Bike is uk version with immobiliser

Thanks for your help :rock:
Is it just not turning over or is it turning over slow??

It can be a bad ground(earth) and a short in your wire job.
Check your started connections make sure there clean
Next time you try and start it and it acts up(dosnt start normal) Hold the starter button and move your bars.
If it turns over then you have a short in the re-wire
If it dosnt improve jump the starter at the relay
Make sure it is out of gear

Also did you bypass the clutch and kick stand safety??

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

+ 1 on bypassing the clutch switch.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

If it is turning then the solenoid has made contact. your problem is not enough ampage. You are correct in thinking bad terminals or earth wires. You need to make sure you have a good earth or it will try to get back to the frame/battery any way it can like the choke cable and weld it solid.

You have a similar wire as the starter wire on the engine to frame.This must be in good condition.

It has nothing to do with the primary circuit like inhibitor switches on clutch etc.

Tarlyt8000
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 s83 boulevard

Post by Tarlyt8000 »

Sorry guys havent been on in a few days

My pal said he had checked the clutch switch so we searched elsewhere and found the terminal on the main feed wire coming off the battery to be very loose so we reclamped it to the wire and the bike started

The next day i went to the bike and tried to start it and same again. Nothing

Luckily just as my pal pressed the start button i wiggled the connector on the clutch switch and it tried to start so we bypassed the clutch switch and hey presto.....

Starts and runs perfect everytime

Thanks for your replies :putput: [emoji106]

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Sweet GOOD JOB
Snap on Tools calls that the "Wiggle test"