Battery Dead.

keges335
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Battery Dead.

Post by keges335 »

So about a yr ago I bought a new Stator and Regulator and a new AGM battery. Late last summer started to charge battery a few times. Then started going dead after a ride,. Stored it for the winter and of course wouldn"t start Charged Battery and same thing sitting for a few days Dead. Had Battery checked and said it was bad. Bought a new a AGM battery went for a ride 10 mile total . Went to start it yesterday Dead. I have a Volt meter going to ck Voltage .Question is could a Regulator or Stator drain a Battery that fast ,.? 96 Intruder 1400 :putput:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Battery Dead.

Post by navigator »

Short answer, Yes.
If it is not charging properly, the engine won't run very long on the battery alone.
Check the output of the stator at the 3 yellow wire connection.
Check the voltage at the battery. both running and stopped.
Check for current draw at the battery.
Do you have any accessories hooked up that may be drawing power?

keges335

Post by keges335 »

Just LED Side lights and and Rear License plate lights which I have had on the Bike for about 3 yrs now,. :putput:

Mushman
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1999 Suzuki Intrder 1400

Post by Mushman »

I know it's been awhile since your post. If you still have a problem with the battery I can offer some experience I had ('99 1400) I had nothing but trouble with battery going dead. I replaced battery, stator, regulator and the problem seemed fixed but not for long. I finally found out I had a defective fuel pump relay. Replaced it and it's been fine since. All voltage numbers back up and holding. Do all the above suggestions but keep in mind the possibility of a bad fuel pump relay ruining your ride. Good luck.

keges335

Post by keges335 »

Ok thks I did put a new Gel Battery in about a mth ago.After it tested bad. I ran the Bike 3 different times with a total of 20 miles on it,.I went out yesterday and would n"t hardly turnover. So were back to Square one again,. I installed a new Stator and Regulator about 2 yrs ago,. I am going to charge Battery agian I have a really good Voltmeter and will try running and and not running,. I read your reply about Fuel Pump relay,How did you come to that conclusion,.,? Anybody else have suggestions,.?

Thks Keith,., :putput:

Mushman
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Mushman »

In my case, the fuel pump was not working. Ran direct voltage to pump, checked ok, checked resistance - 2 ohm ok, found that there was a volt drop going to pump. Cleaned & lubed ignition switch, checked wiring to fuel pump relay. Checked ok. Relay failed bench test, also found that after letting go of the starter button the motor would still be cranking, very possible that defective relay was causing a back feed to the starter motor circuit.

keges335

Post by keges335 »

No mine would start ok,.,But after a few trips down the road ,.Battery would go dead,.,I know a couple of times as you know Battery is very diificult to remove and install . And did hit the Positive cable when installing Battery to the frame and arched it,.,Does that blow out Stator or Regulator,.,?

:putput:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

keges335 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:21 am
No mine would start ok,.,But after a few trips down the road ,.Battery would go dead,.,I know a couple of times as you know Battery is very diificult to remove and install . And did hit the Positive cable when installing Battery to the frame and arched it,.,Does that blow out Stator or Regulator,.,?

That alone should not.....but you should disconnect the negative first....and reconnect the negative last.

keges335

Post by keges335 »

ok. I noticed also a little bit of Acid corrosion on the end of the + Battery cable where it bolts to the Battery had some Acid deposits on it,. I thought maybe I should buy a new + cable,.?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

keges335 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:21 am
ok. I noticed also a little bit of Acid corrosion on the end of the + Battery cable where it bolts to the Battery had some Acid deposits on it,. I thought maybe I should buy a new + cable,.?

Clean the cable end to bare metal with sandpaper, same with the battery terminal.
put on a light coat of dielectric grease or Vaseline.

Mushman
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Mushman »

Agree with navigator re: cable/terminals. I mentioned my problem because the relay was killing the life of my batteries, as they always started off great they would get weaker. 'Lectrics...sometimes a necessary evil. Hope you're up and running soon.

keges335

Post by keges335 »

Thks to everyone I will with my Voltmeter and ck my grounds as well.,

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Electrical gremlins can be a real pita at times. HOWEVER, the electrical systems today are nothing compared to the old Lucas electrics that were on the Nortons, BSAs and Triumphs.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.