Battery Tender

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Battery Tender

Post by JamesC »

A while back I purchased a 12v 1.25A Delran "Battery Tender Plus" from Autozone. I used to be able to get a voltage reading right from the wire that is connected to the positive and negative terminals on my battery. I just got a new YUASA AGM battery for my 1400 Intruder. I can no longer get a reading from the battery tender wire. I get a reading if touch the probes right to the terminals, but not from the tender wire. I noticed that the positive cable looks to have a fuse built into it. Could I have blown that fuse? And if so, would connecting it to the Batter Tender drain my battery? If anyone can answer this for me, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
:bow:

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Battery Tender

Post by WintrSol »

Yes, there is usually a fuse in that cable, on the positive wire. I suppose it could have blown if that part of the cable touched ground; the end that connects to the tender should be recessed in the connector and protected, but anything can happen.

Would connecting what to the tender drain the battery? Do you mean a direct connection from the battery, with the tender unplugged? If so, there will be a small drain on the battery from the sampling circuit in the tender, but I've never measured it. Try replacing the fuse first, then search the cable for damages that may have caused the fuse to blow. Mine was connected directly to the aux terminals on the fuse box, so routing was simpler, and less likely to be pinched by the seat.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

Well, on the positive wire that connects to the battery, what I assume is a fuse is encased in black plastic, so there is no way to see it. What I am asking is if it is blown and I connect the "pigtail" from the battery to the battery tender, would that drain the battery? So you hooked up your battery tender "pigtail" to your aux posts? Hmmm, that sounds like it would be much easier. I have strip lights hooked up to mine (with an on/off switch), but I suppose I could route my pigtail wire to them, also. I'll check it out. Thanks, Wintersol.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

The fuse holder should have a removable cover. It may be hard to see, but if you pull at it seam should reveal itself.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

subin
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 s83

Post by subin »

Like WintrSol said, the fuse container has a cover and you can lift it to see the fuse.
If the pigtail connectors on the battery side are installed correctly, the fuse is good, and your multi meter is in good working condition, you should be able to get a reading at the pigtail side.