Shifter Problem

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Shifter Problem

Post by JamesC »

So I was replacing my shifter rod (the old one had bent) and I broke the nut that goes through arm with ball joint that slips over the shift shaft. Now I can't adjust my shifter and it is way to high. I can press it down into first, but that's about it. I've never used a "bolt extractor" or what's the other one called; "E-Z out". Anyway, was wondering if they work. This is going to be rough because that bolt goes through TWO holes, to clamp the arm onto the shift shaft. Has anyone had any luck with these products and what brand works best? Thanks, guys.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Re: Shifter Problem

Post by JamesC »

I just thought of something. The hole for the arm goes all the way through, so I don't have to "pull" it out, I could "push" it. But what could I sink into the other end that would allow me to turn it? In case anyone is wondering what I'm talking about, it's No. 43 and bolt No. 47 in this diagram:

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempart ... y-k1-k2-k3

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

I would try drilling it through first - use a drill bit a little bit smaller than the bolt thread. You might find the bolt starts turning out while you drill it.

If it all goes to shit you can always drill a larger hole through the whole thing (IE: drill out the threads) and use a longer bolt with a nut in place of just the bolt.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Would I have to start with a center punch, first? It's a steel bolt through an aluminum piece.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

JamesC wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:25 pm
Would I have to start with a center punch, first? It's a steel bolt through an aluminum piece.
Yes

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Did you break it putting it in or taking it out?
If it was taking it out you are going to have a major problem trying to get it out either way. If it was tightening it down you may be able to center punch it and while drilling it out it may run it on through.
Use a good penetrating oil on it, I prefer PB Blaster.
Always center punch when drilling out a bolt or on any surface that the drill bit can walk on. Be very cautious about drilling straight with the bolt.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Problem Solved....!!! I took it my friends house, who has been a professional motorcycle mechanic for decades, and he got it out in 10 minutes. I broke it putting it in, and he did what Herb said to do. So we adjusted it to where I felt comfortable shifting, and then he "notched" it for me so if I ever have to take it off again I will know where to line it up. I will also buy a friggin' torque wrench, as I don't want to go through that again.

I always appreciate the help I get on this site. I'm so glad it is back up and running. I remember a few years ago the old site went down and I was devastated.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. :bow: