Bike doesn't start - multimeter show a going down Volts pressing the run button.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Bike doesn't start - multimeter show a going down Volts pressing the run button.

Post by hillsy »

Jump the bike with your car battery but don't have the car running. If it runs OK then your bike battery is stuffed.

You can test for charging and stator output with the car battery.

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 90 Suzuki VS 1400

Re: Bike doesn't start - multimeter show a going down Volts pressing the run button.

Post by Juan71 »

hillsy wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:01 pm
Jump the bike with your car battery but don't have the car running. If it runs OK then your bike battery is stuffed.

You can test for charging and stator output with the car battery.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7wxKFsUGgEisaSY77

this is what happens when I start the bike with the cables to the car (but car not running).

this is what i don't understand.
seems to be a bad regulator (that have crashed the battery).
P. S. the battery was connected a total of 1 Year to the bike and i couldn't run the bike for a gear Box problem!
P. S. 2: what do you mean with stuffed?
it's the good or bad meaning?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Gianni,...since you reported this:
Juan71 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:29 am
'Cause if i connect the cables to the car battery the bike starts and the multimeter show me 14.2 at hidle and at revs (going down).... but if i turn off the cables from the car, the things going as showed in this video (seems to be a bad regulator) .
Yes, i did it ! :o/
but If i don't run the car the bike doesn't start!

I don't see any reason for you to take the time to do this;
hillsy wrote:
Jump the bike with your car battery but don't have the car running. ....
And since I had already read you said this :
Juan71 wrote:
Now, after one hour, the bike it's die... no lights of neutral and oil showed.
but i'm sure that if i recharge the battery, or connect the cables to the car...it runs!!!
I tend to lean towards suggesting you needing a New Battery. Which would be the basis to further Testing and Problem Solving.
Because I suspect you might have a Wiring Problem in addition to the Battery issues when I read what you said that after only one hour the bike dies, and you say you have no Neutral or Oil light.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

OK - I'm getting confused here.

Is your video with the bike running and the car battery CONNECTED? Because it looks like you've jump started the bike and then DISCONNECTED the car battery.

If the voltage readings are jumping all over the place like that with the car battery CONNECTED then you (at the very least) have a wiring issue.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I wouldn't worry about harming the battery while doing the tests.

Considering that you charge up the battery and it won't start the bike, the battery is the most likely culprit.

Unless the charging system is WAY overcharging it cannot harm the battery. If it isn't charging enough to keep it charged the engine will die when it gets down to about10 vdc.

It only takes about 5 minutes to run the basic charging test with a fully charged battery. That test checks for charging output. A very simple test with high and low limits of battery voltage with the engine running.

There is a stator test you can perform without the battery or engine running. The test is in the electrical section of the manual. There is no test procedure on the newer (IIRC 92 or 93 and up) but the regulator test in the manual is for the 87 to 92(?) regulators.

I have been riding and following tech subjects on the 1400s since 1987 and have never heard of a charging system that overcharges on a 1400. Every problem I have heard of has been an undercharge issue.

I have, however, heard of, and had, batteries that something broke inside and left a complete open in the battery. I had it happen with a brand new battery that caused the engine to shut down while doing 70 mph on the freeway.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

Many Thanks to all for your time!
In the order i will buy a New battery, a battery load tester and cross my fingers and toes!
... in the meantime going to check with multimeter the stator, the regulator and the ignitor Unit.
My only doubt is the reading difference between my multimeter end the suzuki one that's on the manual.
will post results.
P.S. the mechanic moved the regulator to the left side of the bike right on the exhaust, screwed to the battery case (before i have moved it from the original site to the left side underseat cover).

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

In all the myriad of things that have been said,..have you ever disconnected the battery from the bike ( you can leave it installed) charged it and waited a day or so and then measured it's Voltage?

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I used to have a headlight wired up to load test a battery. Charge the battery, check voltage, hook up headlight and recheck voltage every 5 minutes. If the battery stays above 11.5vdc for 10 minutes it is good.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

Designer wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:05 am
In all the myriad of things that have been said,..have you ever disconnected the battery from the bike ( you can leave it installed) charged it and waited a day or so and then measured it's Voltage?
Hi Designer,
I'm going to make this check!
Thanks.
herb, i think to make the check you are talking about, too.(do you mean 11.5 or 12.5 V?)

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Juan71 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:01 am
Designer wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:05 am
Hi Designer,
I'm going to make this check!
Thanks.
herb, i think to make the check you are talking about, too.(do you mean 11.5 or 12.5 V?)
I was using a sealed beam headlight on the high beam side. if it stays about 11.5 it should be good. However, if you start the bike with a car battery hooked up and it dies when you remove the jumpers, either you have a bad connection at the battery cables or the battery is bad

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

Hi folks,
Sorry for the delay, the problem was the battery!
after a few days with a New one, all work like a charm.
the multimeter get corrects values for all the recharging components, and the battery never go down 12.90 V.
Thank you to all for your help.
with all your replies and opinions, now i know perfectly how to check all the recharging system,.
I very very appreciated it, Thank you very much for your time!
P.S. the old battery reading is 12.58 as fully recharged... as hillsy have replied, seems to be a bad cell problem!
Cheers
Gianni

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Juan71 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:22 am
P.S. the old battery reading is 12.58 as fully recharged... as hillsy have replied, seems to be a bad cell problem!
Cheers
Gianni
Yah Hillsy's kinda smart

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

Well folks,
i would like to thank expecially Designer for his reply that helped me avoid wasting time doing what wouldn't definitively help...and instead giving me a concrete test that help me find the problem in a right and quickly way .

Cheers
Gianni
Designer wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:22 pm
Juan71 wrote:
'Cause if i connect the cables to the car battery the bike starts and the multimeter show me 14.2 at hidle and at revs (going down).... but if i turn off the cables from the car, the things going as showed in this video (seems to be a bad regulator) .

hillsy wrote:
Juan71 wrote:
but i'm sure that if i recharge the battery, or connect the cables to the car...it runs!!!
I tend to lean towards suggesting you needing a New Battery. Which would be the basis to further Testing and Problem Solving.
Because I suspect you might have a Wiring Problem in addition to the Battery issues when I read what you said that after only one hour the bike dies, and you say you have no Neutral or Oil light.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Juan71 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:43 am
Well folks, i would like to thank expecially Designer for his reply that helped me avoid wasting time doing what wouldn't definitively help...and instead giving me a concrete test that help me find the problem in a right and quickly way .

Cheers Gianni
Designer wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:22 pm
Juan71 wrote:

hillsy wrote:
Juan71 wrote:
You are most Welcome Gianni, glad I was the most helpful to you.

If you have any more problems, please do come back post them here so you can get the best help when you need it. :ShitGrinandThumb: