is the guy who modified stock tanks for larger capacity still around?

The1Chef
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Vs1400 and Warrior 1700

is the guy who modified stock tanks for larger capacity still around?

Post by The1Chef »

Mccd or something like that

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: is the guy who modified stock tanks for larger capacity still around?

Post by Herb »

I haven't heard anything, on this board, about someone doing that.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

I do recall seeing pics of a guy making a larger tank but not sure whether that was here or on another forum.

I searched on here and found some posts referring to a 7 gallon MCD fibreglass tank from a few years back - but then I Googled MCD and only got hits for McDonalds or Mad Cow Disease.... :lmao:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

I was going to make a mold for a larger fuel tank
I just needed 3 more bad tanks to cut up,I have one bad tank
Everyone a spoke to with bad tanks thought they where worth as much as a good tank and there seemed to be a lack of interest in a larger tank so I kinda gave up on making a mold
That and the filler made these kinda cost prohibiting at 100 bucks a pop

I suppose if some one was ambitious they could use foam to mock up a tank and create a blank to make a mold

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

Have a chat on facebook intruder pages. It seems that place is much more active than this IA board and in the last month I have seen 6 or 7 people asking about bigger tanks

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

MCD was his name but the link is dead

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

I shared your info on facebook.
there is intetest.
you may get some donor tanks...

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

The1Chef wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:28 pm
I shared your info on facebook.
there is intetest.
you may get some donor tanks...
Interesting
After reading posting in your thread I started thinking about making a larger tanks for the Intruders again
By using 4 tanks I would cut the tanks then weld the peaces together to make one steal tank
If I dont blow myself up I would only have one tank to create a mold from also if it dosnt look right then it may all be a wash for the donor tanks

By using foam I can get away with the one tank I have to build a tank on the tunnel then carve the foam away to form the tank.
Using this method I can create many tanks using one tunnel to create a few mold s from and keep styling options open

The filler neck and cap would be a concern but a small hurdle
I would also use a more standard fuel out let on the lower outside of the tank

Right now the big problem is I lost my work space when this covid BS popped up and had to move into an Apt
I had a few lines on shops with an office for my dispatch company (which also took a turn for the worst because of the Coved Fing BS) but I thought these places where just a bit expensive for moving a company that only had 3 customers that didn't pay for the service and was supposed to help build the company. OK Long story, Im still pissed. But anyway Ill problem solve that in Time. I still have a very expensive phone system.

The1Chef
Keep me updated If there still is a market for for a larger Intruder tank Ill consider building a few that owners can choose from to fit their bikes style

The cool thing about automotive foam is you can create any form you want then build the mold and you can have as many tanks as you can build

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

Here a thought..

check this link out. Gman used to be an active member here about 100 years ago. He started making these tanks for the 1500 and any other bike HE owned. He said he would make one for the 1400 if he got his hands on one but never did.

https://www.gmanindustries.com/shop/pc/ ... ks-c43.htm

If you can make resin tanks like those, or metal ones im sure they would sell.

But there arent many tanks out there anymore that are in good shape to buy and lots of people ask still so you would have no problem selling replacement tanks.

As for the filler neck and cap, I believe those are readily available for purchase so if you could incorporate the metal neck into the mold and provide at least a link to the caps or provide them, that would keep you busy Im sure

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

so you are explaining that you would be able to make many tanks and they would be made out of resin?

THEN DO IT FOR SURE.
You would have no issues selling them but they would have to look good and compliment the bike.

I will say it. MCD tanks, the ones I mentioned were ugly IMHO and expensive.

Everone likes the tanks from germany.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

I agree The tank has to complement the bike
Some bikes can sport a big fat bulbous tank but the intruder needs to be sleek and needs clearance for the forks
This places a limit on size
It kinda seems to me that the designers had a vision of stile and built the bike around that idea. which may explain why they did what they did to make the bike look like a model. Even looking at it you can see the tank is just to small and little room to make it bigger
Everything on these bikes is tight and flows with specific lines

I havnt done the math but I am guessing that to build a tank that fits the bike I may not be able to add more then a half gallon to the tank and maintain the lines of the bike. Unless we wanted a tank that looks like a pumpkin

I tried a couple other tanks one off of a V Star and it just didnt look right. I cant remember what the other tank was but same thing it looked funky

The neck needs a flange to secure the cap so that would have to be incorporated in the shell and to be street legal it has to be metal
Then there is the mounting points that have to be made of metal and bound into the shell
I coudnt watch the video you posted but I think Designer has a bike with the German tank. I think it looks OK but there is something a little Off about it.
And I believe the asking price was around $1500.00 plus shipping or maybe more?? Just didnt seem cost effective to me.
Some one mentioned that we could get a cylinder tank that mounted to the lower front of the bike. And again it didn't seem cost effective and it looked a little ugly to me.
Why not just carry some extra gas in the saddle bags
I started toying with the idea of just making my saddle bags extra tanks or maybe an insert for each side that would go in the lower part of the bags so I would still have some storage even if limited.
Then through a couple of valves T fittings and fuel pumps run of the saddle tanks until dry then switch to the main body tank Like you would an Airplane.
Or a transfer system to pump fuel from the saddle tanks to the main tank. Just pull ever remove the cap and watch as the tank filled up. Shame these bikes didnt come with a fuel gauge

I remember asking in a fuel thread why Suzuki made these tanks so small
The reply was
"So you have to get off of it"
I couldn't argue with that

The1Cheif
The things I have to consider are
Style
Volume
Comparability to road conditions and Environment, I really dont want to accidentally blow anyone up
and cost

I think for me the most cost effective solution is the saddle bag tanks with a transfer system

Just something to consider

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

If I remember correctly one of the people doing larger tanks was cutting the tank on each side of the center, adding a 1-inch strip of steel on each side, and reattaching the side panels. It was all welded, ground down, and pressure tested for leaks. He said it added almost a gallon and they didn't look bad. I thought about buying one but didn't think the benefit was worth the cost and for my bike to be down for 4-6 weeks.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

even if you just made stock replacements

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Herb wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:34 pm
If I remember correctly one of the people doing larger tanks was cutting the tank on each side of the center, adding a 1-inch strip of steel on each side, and reattaching the side panels. It was all welded, ground down, and pressure tested for leaks. He said it added almost a gallon and they didn't look bad. I thought about buying one but didn't think the benefit was worth the cost and for my bike to be down for 4-6 weeks.
I remember that thread
On the bike it didnt really look to bad but in my opinion it didnt look right ether
If I remember correctly He had a few leaks that he ended up using sealer to stop. One of the problem's I see with extending the sides would be the fork clearance in the parked and locked position.
I would have done it a little different
I would use three tanks a used as much as I could off of the main part and as much as I could off of the outer shells
This would require less welding and and heat transfer. Probably wouldn't add much fuel volume but I think would have cleaner looking lines.
With 5 tanks I could raise the top of the tank in the same manner.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

The1Chef wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:58 pm
even if you just made stock replacements
Making a mold for a stock tank would be easy enough
I thought about that when the post popped up that herb mentioned
The mounting hard ware and filler neck would be the expensive part
It may be possible to incorporate a flange into the finished tank to secure the factory filler so the stock cap could be used
And the mounting hard ware in the tank tunnel could also be used also by creating a flange of some sort

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Or you could simply wear your spare fuel. :uhh:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

navigator wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:15 pm
Or you could simply wear your spare fuel. :uhh:

Russell Mitchell of "Exile Cycles" actually did that. He strapped an old bronze fire extinguisher to his back and used it as the fuel tank for his bike.
Not an option

one more dumb idea
I think he also incorporated the clutch lever on a suicide shiftier on the same bike

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

lol

no not a plan....

so just fyi. I dont need a tank. my bike is altered and I welded half tanks together to make a one piece then I stretched it... I think any harley tank will fit it now.

so I have no stake in this. I just see how many people are frustrated looking for a tank. some just bolt on any tank because they cant find one.

Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 1400 Intruder

Post by Night_Wolf »

MCD used to build tanks; there is a fella in South Africa building tanks, but I have heard there have been "issues" with delivery I have info that a Vulcan tank (900 & 16 liters, IIRC) can be made to fit with a simple modification. I'll see if I can find the information again, as I know I have it saved
Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Intruder Alert Canada/Night_Wolf's Lair

Alberta Adventure Riders

2006 VS1400 Image 2020 V85TT Image