Post by The1Chef »

yes Designer has big tank info.

ask away

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Larger Tank for the 1400 with input from Designer

Post by Designer »

Yes, I liked the appearance of the Stock 1400 tank. IMHO, it is the best looking tank for the 1400.

So I modified it to get more capacity and got about 4 gallons total, netting about 180 miles per fillup. I also increased the reserve so I now get about 18-20 miles from it. And made the Filler Cap much nicer-looking too.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 1400 Intruder

Post by Night_Wolf »

Designer wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:03 am
Yes, I liked the appearance of the Stock 1400 tank. IMHO, it is the best looking tank for the 1400.

So I modified it to get more capacity and got about 4 gallons total, netting about 180 miles per fillup. I also increased the reserve so I now get about 18-20 miles from it. And made the Filler Cap much nicer-looking too.
how?
Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Intruder Alert Canada/Night_Wolf's Lair

Alberta Adventure Riders

2006 VS1400 Image 2020 V85TT Image

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Night_Wolf wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:56 pm
Designer wrote:
how?
By using,.............MAGIC! :ShitGrin:

Okay, I'm pulling your leg. :bow:

The basic concept I used was to eliminate as much of the "tunnel" down the middle of the Tank, and to "reverse" the front mounting point.

I use the K&N Pod Air Filters, so the Stock Front Air Filter Box and connecting Rubber Boot are not there and thus the 'Tank Tunnel" recess needed for them both was not necessary any more. So, that "space" in front of the K & N could now be used to hold gas if the Tank were modified.

Plus, I noticed the Front Tank Mount put yet another recess unto the Tank. I reasoned that if the Tank itself had a projection/extension into a newly designed "Receiver/Mount" bolted to the Frame, (instead of that recess) that Tank projection could add even more Fuel capacity.

And it does. :wink:

Plus, I took out more of the "Tank Tunnel" from the back of the K & N Filter to the Rear Tank Mount. That lowered the Fuel Cock a bit and so I made an extension to the Pipe inside the Tank begetting a "Reserve" of 18-20 miles (instead of the woefully small stock reserve).

Moving the Gas Cap up and over helped too. Now I have 3.9 usable gallons before reserve. :rock:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

The1Chef
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Vs1400 and Warrior 1700

Post by The1Chef »

Designer wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:35 am
Night_Wolf wrote:
Designer wrote:
how?
By using,.............MAGIC! :ShitGrin:

Okay, I'm pulling your leg. :bow:

The basic concept I used was to eliminate as much of the "tunnel" down the middle of the Tank, and to "reverse" the front mounting point.

I use the K&N Pod Air Filters, so the Stock Front Air Filter Box and connecting Rubber Boot are not there and thus the 'Tank Tunnel" recess needed for them both was not necessary any more. So, that "space" in front of the K & N could now be used to hold gas if the Tank were modified.

Plus, I noticed the Front Tank Mount put yet another recess unto the Tank. I reasoned that if the Tank itself had a projection/extension into a newly designed "Receiver/Mount" bolted to the Frame, (instead of that recess) that Tank projection could add even more Fuel capacity.

And it does. :wink:

Plus, I took out more of the "Tank Tunnel" from the back of the K & N Filter to the Rear Tank Mount. That lowered the Fuel Cock a bit and so I made an extension to the Pipe inside the Tank begetting a "Reserve" of 18-20 miles (instead of the woefully small stock reserve).

Moving the Gas Cap up and over helped too. Now I have 3.9 usable gallons before reserve. :rock:
Just shared that....
Thanks Designer

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

you dont happen to have any supporting pictures do you?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

The1Chef wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:15 pm
you dont happen to have any supporting pictures do you?
Welllll,. :Umm: .........I might, :uhh: ...........that is, :naughty: ...........if Night Wolf wants to see them too. :ahha: ..........

:ShitGrin:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Night_Wolf wrote:
Designer wrote:

how?
Ask, And Ye Shall Receive! :bow:

First, I made a Template of the Stock Tank's Tunnel

Then fitted it over the Pod Air Filter, Wiring Cables and stuff on Black Thunder. Marking off what I thought were adequate clearances for all such stuff;

Then I fabricated the Sheet Metal to follow the New Profile I drew on the Template;

Then I machined a New Boss for the Aircraft-styled Gas Cap.

I wanted it to be "Frenched" in and Relocated it to the "High Side" of the Tank (when on the Kick Stand.)

Wanting more Fuel Capacity, I "reversed" the Font Tank Mounting so the projection was the Tank, not the Mounting Bracket into a recess in the Tank.;

Then it was simple matter of making a "bracket" that would receive the tanks projection;

With the Tank Fuel Cock now being located much lower, I extended the Fuel Inlet Pipe on it. So in effect, I have more fuel for my Reserve.

And there you have it! :ShitGrinandThumb:

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

Wow....
I didnt think that was a stock tank. Thought you flew it in...

good job man

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

and you gained justbover 1 litre?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

The1Chef wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:03 pm
Wow.... I didnt think that was a stock tank. Thought you flew it in...
good job man
Thanx for the compliments. :bow: It was a fun Project. :ShitGrin:

Personally, I think the 1400 tank is the prettiest tank. :cheers:

The1Chef wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:04 pm
and you gained justbover 1 litre?
I've forgotten long ago what the useable Gallons of the Stock Tank are so as to compare.

I know that I can get 4 gallons in this one. :ShitGrinandThumb:

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Post by FinTruder »

Where from original tank breathes? In hot day my old tank cap is banging shortly after starting a ride. Does it breathe from key hole? It surely hisses from it in off mode.
Disassemble, assemble, repeat

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

FinTruder wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:26 am
Where from original tank breathes? In hot day my old tank cap is banging shortly after starting a ride. Does it breathe from key hole? It surely hisses from it in off mode.
Most of the time they rattle
Yes there is a vent in the cap the hissing may be an obstruction in the cap
Take the cap off and use a penetrating oil in a spray can or compressed air through the key slot to remove an obstruction
Or carb clean and then oil occasionally work the key this will prevent jamming and help to clean the tumblers in the lock
If using an aerosol do it over a clean rag to see what and how much comes out
You may be surprised

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling

Post by FinTruder »

Yeah, my cap is very tight and hard to put in place AND its jamming now and then. But that sound is weird, like someone throwing rock on it inside the tank. When i lay my hand on it it really kicks. I think those heated gasoline fumes want to come out from snug cap and bang.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

FinTruder wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:57 am
Yeah, my cap is very tight and hard to put in place AND its jamming now and then. But that sound is weird, like someone throwing rock on it inside the tank. When i lay my hand on it it really kicks. I think those heated gasoline fumes want to come out from snug cap and bang.
Pressurized fuel fumes is never a good thing in an uncontrolled environment
Try cleaning the cap out
These do rust and can get sticky
You can also use transmission fluid to lubricate the inside of the cap
I like it because it is a light oil and dirt dosnt stick to it as much as the heavy oils
I found it works really well in control cables to

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

FinTruder wrote:
This condition ties in with the Engine Performance/Exhaust issues you had just posted about in another Thread.

Let's see if after you get the Cap Venting fixed if it changes anything you previously reported on.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Designer wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 2:23 pm
This condition ties in with the Engine Performance/Exhaust issues you had just posted about in another Thread.

Let's see if after you get the Cap Venting fixed if it changes anything you previously reported on.
Poorly vented fuel tank causing a lean condition??

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Yes, a lack of sufficient fuel delivery due to a partial vacuum in the tank can do that.

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling

Post by FinTruder »

Designer wrote:
FinTruder wrote:

It would make sense. I will buy new cap today and let's see what happens

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

FinTruder wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:18 pm
Designer wrote:
FinTruder wrote:
It would make sense. I will buy new cap today and let's see what happens
Well, you can do that,......However, to save your Hard-earned money and save on Valuable Riding Time, let's see what happens when you do what FallenAngel suggests here;
FallenAngel wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:13 am
Pressurized fuel fumes is never a good thing in an uncontrolled environment
Try cleaning the cap out
These do rust and can get sticky
You can also use transmission fluid to lubricate the inside of the cap
I like it because it is a light oil and dirt doesn't stick to it as much as the heavy oils
I found it works really well in control cables to
Maybe even try some Penetrating Oil if the Transmission Fluid doesn't seem to be working at first. Then use the Trans Fluid to keep things moving inside the Cap.