93 vs 1400 will not start

country92
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1994 suzuki intruder vs 1400

93 vs 1400 will not start

Post by country92 »

When i hit the start button the fuel pump kicks in but nothing else does. i have replaced starter, solenoid, relays. it has the decompression solenoid but when i hook power straight to everything it works. im completly stumped. any advice?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: 93 vs 1400 will not start

Post by hillsy »

Clutch switch?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

country92 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm
When i hit the start button the fuel pump kicks in but nothing else does. i have replaced starter, solenoid, relays. it has the decompression solenoid but when i hook power straight to everything it works. im completly stumped. any advice?
I understand your frustration there. There are two "safety" switches that might be the culprit. Those being, the side stand switch and the clutch lever switch. Before you go and spend even more money, I suggest you run at least one test first. The clutch switch is probably the best place to start. I have seen then become problematical due to oxidation of the metal contacts inside and even get fouled with bug guts.

Try by passing this switch by removing the two wires from the switch and jump the connection ( you can use even a paper clip to do so) If that "fixes" the issue, I would take it apart (careful of the small parts inside) and clean & wire brush the copper metal parts and reassemble it. This has worked well for myself and many others and would save you time and $$$.

See if this works and get back to us with your results. I am here to help..

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:36 am
country92 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm
I understand your frustration there. There are two "safety" switches that might be the culprit. Those being, the side stand switch and the clutch lever switch. Before you go and spend even more money, I suggest you run at least one test first. The clutch switch is probably the best place to start. I have seen then become problematical due to oxidation of the metal contacts inside and even get fouled with bug guts.

Try by passing this switch by removing the two wires from the switch and jump the connection ( you can use even a paper clip to do so) If that "fixes" the issue, I would take it apart (careful of the small parts inside) and clean & wire brush the copper metal parts and reassemble it. This has worked well for myself and many others and would save you time and $$$.

See if this works and get back to us with your results. I am here to help..
The slide for the switch is plastic, the one on my 87 broke the little tab that sticks down and engages a hole in the clutch handle. The trouble is the switch is spring-loaded to the off position.

On my 99 the wiring to the side stand switch came loose and dropped down against the header pipe shorting it to ground and blowing the ignition fuse.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

country92
Tricycles are Cool

Post by country92 »

Thank you every one. It was the clutch switch that went out. It's my first bike so I wanted one that I needed to fix before I rode it. I got to hear it run for the first time. Thank y'all so much

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

country92 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:33 am
Thank you every one. It was the clutch switch that went out. It's my first bike so I wanted one that I needed to fix before I rode it. I got to hear it run for the first time. Thank y'all so much/
Just to add to the General Board Knowledge what was wrong with it? Was it broken or just dirty/oxidized?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

country92
Tricycles are Cool

Post by country92 »

It was broken. The spring had rusted away I think lol