Im thinking these tanks will almost bolt up

Post by The1Chef »

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/330041249 ... .jpg_.webp

https://i.ibb.co/Ph6YCQ8/Screenshot-202 ... ternet.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293922940938?_ ... 096.m3021

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152852728249?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1

https://i.ibb.co/wsF4W5f/Screenshot-202 ... ternet.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333899608492?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1

If you use a tank lift kit to mount the front to the intruders front tank mount to be able to raise or lower the tank over the frame, I think then just find a way to secure the front mount and the rear mount would be such an easy mod. Its 1 hole but I think the tunnel design of the tank will fit the frame perfectly.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Im thinking these tanks will almost bolt up

Post by hillsy »

Let us know how it turns out.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Back in the early 90 's I borrowed a set of harley tanks off of a friends bike He had it down for a cam change) and tried to find a way to make them work.
While I could figure out how to make them fit on the 87 I found that anyway I mocked them up to fit the forks would hit the tanks in lock to lock turns. The tanks are too far foreword when they are in front of the seat and too fat at the front to clear the forks.

I found a guy with a Sportster with a 5gal tank that let me measure the tank and found exactly the same issue the sides of the tank would have to be bashed in about 1.5 inches to clear the fork tubes because of the rake on the 1400.

There may be tanks that can be made to fit but I am not willing to spend the bucks required to find out that it is a waste of time and money.

If anyone is willing to try to make it work I would sure like to know the results.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

I like the way you think,....As I am looking over these tanks and recalling the mods I did to the Stock 1400 tank, I have some reservations.

Raising the front of the Tank worked well for me, however as these tanks appear, doing that will make for a for-sure problem with the Upper Triple Tree/Fork. I'm betting there will also be quite some work needed to even make them mount well.

And they look really wide/fat. Similar tanks I saw on 1400's were a subtraction in appearance from the Lithe, Beautiful shape of the Stock Tank.

I do have pictures of how I made mine have 4 gallons, but my computer guy is slow in repairing it from a Crash I had two weeks back. When I have it back up-and-running, I will post the How-To to make it happen for you.

Patience, Grasshoppah. ( from the TV show Kung Fu) :ShitGrin:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

The problem is with the Fork and seat location
The Intruder back bone is much shorter then with many other motorcycles
I have tried tanks off of a
Yamaha V star
Honda Shadow
and something else I cant remember

Seems to me that to fit any tank other then the Intruder tank one would need to move the neck forward or may be to trim the seat and or move the foot controls back if needed. Or fabricate some triple trees to move the forks forward or maybe both

The intruder have puny dinky tiny tanks It seems to me that any modification that adds any real volume will offer ugly results and any mod that looks good will not offer much more volume and probably would be cost effective in the long run. The bikes frame and the compact design dosnt support a larger tank with out it looking like a bag watermelon

I do wish you only the best of luck in your pursuit getting more fuel on these bikes. I think that ever sense their inception this has been a goal of many owners

I think there was a company in Germany that manufactured seem decent looking Higher volume tanks but the cost plus shipping was astronomical. Now I think there un available unless you get lucky and find a used one

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:32 pm
The problem is with the Fork and seat location The Intruder back bone is much shorter then with many other motorcycles

Seems to me that to fit any tank other then the Intruder tank one would need to move the neck forward or may be to trim the seat and or move the foot controls back if needed. Or fabricate some triple trees to move the forks forward or maybe both.
Correct in your observations about the seat-to-neck distance relationship as to affects tank size.

Triple Trees akin to the Old Harley Springer might work ( the one they often call "shouldered"). Frame mods to move the neck forward and/or seat back would be much more work and money.
FallenAngel wrote:
The intruder have puny dinky tiny tanks. It seems to me that any modification that adds any real volume will offer ugly results and any mod that looks good will not offer much more volume and probably would be cost effective in the long run. The bikes frame and the compact design dosnt support a larger tank with out it looking like a bag watermelon
All good points. I like your "'Bag Watermelon" description. :ShitGrinandThumb:
FallenAngel wrote:
I do wish you only the best of luck in your pursuit getting more fuel on these bikes. I think that ever sense (since) their inception this has been a goal of many owners
And that Day is here!
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12783

I will be posting Pictures of how I modified the stock tank to get more capacity.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

The1Chef
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Vs1400 and Warrior 1700

Post by The1Chef »

My tank is already 7 gallons. My frame is a single downtube.

The hangers I showed were a way to LOWER tge tank to where it fits then ajust one rear mount to deal with. The tunnel is huge and I think If the mount was long enough to both lower it and move it back a little, the only issue to me would be the seat. once its bolted at the rear they hanger wont move forward.

I still think they would work.

I was trying to source tanks for the sad thats all..

But I do like that 230$ tank. I may get it for me but that still wont help a stock frame until someone with a stock frame tries it My opinion

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

The1Chef wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:54 pm
On what make of bike???

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

The good kind.
Is there any other?!!

img upload site

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

FallenAngel wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:30 pm
The1Chef wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:54 pm
On what make of bike???
He is one of,....The Few, The Proud,.:ShitGrin: .....who has a side-mounted Dual Throat Carb. So he doesn't need a Frame Space needed for the Stock placement of Front Carb.

Hey Andy, Back in "the day" when You, Daveguy1962 and I were making our side-mount Manifolds, I wasn't aware you modified your Frame too. :blink: Got any Pictures of what you did? :bow:

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

A little embarrassed to post because of the state she is in right now lol So busy with work I am finding little time to spend on it but here you go.
I did have the stock carbs in it for some time. it has plenty of room in the tunnel under the tank.

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

Its been sitting in the garage 12 years. For now I will get her running and back on the road. This coming winter I will dismantle it completely and repaint. This time the frame stays black!! Not much goes with orange over gold lol. Going to paint the tins black primer for now but I have a plan to blend in some of the current paint as flames or something so it will go with the frame.

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

By the way Ed, I had never noticed the paint on your springer before. That is awesome and is almost what I had in mind for my repaint sort of but was told I could not do it.

I wanted to do candy green with big flat black flames and use my gold and orange with some red on the tips of the flames. Your tiny little flames are awesome btw

I never understood why they said I couldnt do it.
Something about incompatable chemicals. But now that I see yours I know I can do it.

Did you paint it yourself?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

The1Chef wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:26 pm
By the way Ed, I had never noticed the paint on your springer before. That is awesome and is almost what I had in mind for my repaint sort of but was told I could not do it.

I wanted to do candy green with big flat black flames and use my gold and orange with some red on the tips of the flames. Your tiny little flames are awesome btw

I never understood why they said I couldnt do it. Something about incompatable chemicals. But now that I see yours I know I can do it.

Did you paint it yourself?
AWESOME work there, Andy.......REALLY awesome. :rock:

I like the way you think. That Frame/Side Cover/ Head Fill work is Top Notch,...add in your Custom Side Mount Carb Manifold, and you rank right up with The Pros. Top Drawer work there, My Friend. :ShitGrinandThumb: :cheers:

I have always liked your Paint Color, too.

The Springtail Chopper paint I did almost all myself. I wanted to use the Gloss Black/Flat Black Paint Scheme as a starter,....using Metalized Copper as Accenture. Metalized Copper being both "flat" (non-glossy),...but also shiny ( as is gloss paint)..

I will post pictures of how it was done for you tomorrow if you like.

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

Thanks Designer,
Almost ready to ride!! A little wiring to clean up again, a coat of primer on the tins and, bleed the front and bake brakes and I should be zooming around terrorizing the neighbors with straight shorties😁

I WOULD LOVE to see some of you paint process.
Please and thank you

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

The1Chef wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:57 am
Thanks Designer,
Almost ready to ride!! A little wiring to clean up again, a coat of primer on the tins and, bleed the front and bake brakes and I should be zooming around terrorizing the neighbors with straight shorties😁
Most excellent! I am confident in your abilities to properly "vocalize" your Straights. :naughty:
The1Chef wrote:
I WOULD LOVE to see some of you paint process.
Please and thank you
You are Welcome. :bow:

I will gather the Pictures and post them forthwith. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

The1Chef wrote:
Thanks Designer, I WOULD LOVE to see some of you paint process.
Please and thank you

Hey Andy! :ShitGrin: Here's the pictures of how I achieved the Paint Scheme on my SpringTail Chopper.

First, I started out with a Gloss Black Tank & Fenders, and drew out the Flames I wanted on each and made a Stick-on Mask I'll use the Front Fender herein to illustrate how it all went.

Knowing I wanted the Flame Tips to be Metalized Copper, I made the Backing of the Stick-on Masking at the Flame Tips to be separate from the Main Masking.......so I could lift them up and spray the Copper

After applying the Masking, I lifted the Flame Tips Up and sprayed the Metalized Copper. \
You can see the Dual Spring Rear Shocks of the SpringTail in the background.

When the Copper paint dried, I pulled off the remaining Backing, stuck it to the Fender, and sprayed the Flat Black, And here's how it turned out

Same process on the Tank & Rear Fender

Which turned out looking like this

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

sweeeeet jib bud.
that looks so awesome!!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

The1Chef wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:56 am
sweeeeet jib bud.
that looks so awesome!!
Thanx! There is no "Stealth Mode" when Riding this chopper.

When I park it, there's almost sure to be someone looking at it,....trying to figure out what it is.

The1Chef
Learning My Moped

Post by The1Chef »

want to really confuse them throw a bucket under it. they will think its a Harley for sure