Beautiful Ride then she Died

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Re: Beautiful Ride then she Died

Post by FallenAngel »

surass wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:44 pm

Here's what I got....I did the wiggle test with the ignition in the ON position....nothin still. Then with the ignition in the OFF position, I checked the volts on the battery and got 10.6 volts that was test leads on the pos of batt and a bolt on the frame to ground. Then did the same with the ignition in the ON position and the volts went way down to around 0.04 volts. does this mean my ignition is good and my batt is bad? Need your help! :bang: doesn't seem like my batt is holding a charge very good it is three years old but has been on a trickle charger the whole time when not ridin of coarse.
I have to agree with Herb and Hilsy
If the battery has been on a charger and you only have 10.6 volts it is time for a battery
You can still use it for testing purposes but it needs replaced

surass
Learning My Moped
My Bike: s83

Post by surass »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:54 pm
surass wrote:

Here's what I got....I did the wiggle test with the ignition in the ON position....nothin still. Then with the ignition in the OFF position, I checked the volts on the battery and got 10.6 volts that was test leads on the pos of batt and a bolt on the frame to ground. Then did the same with the ignition in the ON position and the volts went way down to around 0.04 volts. does this mean my ignition is good and my batt is bad? Need your help! :bang: doesn't seem like my batt is holding a charge very good it is three years old but has been on a trickle charger the whole time when not ridin of coarse.
If the battery has been on a charger and you only have 10.6 volts it is time for a battery
yup, just finishe jack her up and removing the old batt gotta take it in for a core Thanks FA! Hope this is all that it is but I'm not always that lucky :bang:

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

surass wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:44 am
FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:54 pm
surass wrote:

yup, just finished jacking her up and removing the old batt, gotta take it in for a core. Thanks FA! Hope this is all that it is but I'm not always that lucky :bang:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

surass wrote:
[Hope this is all that it is but I'm not always that lucky
Outside of wiring you have 3 things in the charging system - stator, regulator rectifier and battery. A lot of the time one of those failing can take out another.

But you won't know until you have the battery sorted.

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

hillsy wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:22 pm
surass wrote:
[Hope this is all that it is but I'm not always that lucky
Outside of wiring you have 3 things in the charging system - stator, regulator rectifier and battery. A lot of the time one of those failing can take out another.

But you won't know until you have the battery sorted.
Everything is sorted out now! Just fired her up and took a short ride and it was beautiful!!! Thanks to all who helped me with this!!!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

surass wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:37 am
Everything is sorted out now! Just fired her up and took a short ride and it was beautiful!!! Thanks to all who helped me with this!!!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks for the Good News. :clap: Now get in nice Riding Time. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Not to be a Spoil Sport,...I might suggest you keep an eye on the way it performs. As I mentioned back on June 3rd,...There is a possibility that your Charging System is not all it should be.

The New Battery seems to have fixed things,...let's make sure the Charging System keeps the "New Battery Was The Fix" fully charged so it is indeed,..."The Fix"

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

surass wrote:

NOw use your volt ohm meter to check yo9ur charging system

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FallenAngel wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:23 pm
surass wrote:

NOw use your volt ohm meter to check yo9ur charging system
I had them load test the batt at the shop and it was fried....must of been going bad for a long time as my dash lights were pretty dim the last few years but now they are bright and getting the full amps that they should and she starts easy and runs good. :ShitGrinandThumb: :cheers: I will keep and eye on her and get some good rides in! Thanks FA ,Herb, Designer , hillsy and everybody that contributed to the return to the road!!! :cheers: You guys ROCK !!

Sincerely,

surass

:bow: :cheers:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

When it comes to Intruders, always assume it's the battery. If the tires go flat, check the battery first.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

So easy now to put your voltmeter on to the battery terminals whilst the bike is running to see if it's charging properly.

You should get around 13.5v at idle and around 14.5 at revs.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Surass,... you post very kind words. :bow:

I feel I can speak for others and say,...Thank You for saying so,...we were all glad to help you out. That's what we do on This Board.
:ShitGrinandThumb: :cheers:

But please,....do what hillsy suggests here;
hillsy wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:26 pm
So easy now to put your voltmeter on to the battery terminals whilst the bike is running to see if it's charging properly.

We need to ascertain the viability of your Charging System.

The last thing you need is to find out it wasn't charging your New Battery when you are out,...far away from home,... while having a Good Day's Ride.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

hillsy wrote:

You Rock man :cheers:

Thank You hillsy! Will def do! :cheers:

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Designer wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:29 pm

I feel I can speak for others and say,...Thank You for saying so,...we were all glad to help you out. That's what we do on This Board.

hillsy wrote:

The last thing you need is to find out it wasn't charging your New Battery when you are out,...far away from home,... while having a Good Day's Ride.
Absolutely Designer will do You Rock man! :cheers: This forum Rocks too! :cheers:

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Post by FinTruder »

I wonder if people changed voltage regulators place, where did you guys placed it?
Disassemble, assemble, repeat

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Designer wrote:

hillsy wrote:

Integrity of the charging system has been ascertained!
Thanks again everybody, weees back on the road! :putput:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

surass wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:44 am
Designer wrote:

hillsy wrote:

Very Good News to hear.

And!,........... just in time for Father's Day, too.

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Designer wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:14 pm
surass wrote:
Designer wrote:

hillsy wrote:

Very Good News to hear.

And!,........... just in time for Father's Day, too.
Yup and I be goin for a ride :putput:
Thank You! :cheers:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

surass wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:00 pm
Designer wrote:
surass wrote:
Designer wrote:

hillsy wrote:
We need to ascertain the viability of your Charging System. The last thing you need is to find out it wasn't charging your New Battery when you are out,...far away from home,... while having a Good Day's Ride.

Very Good News to hear. And!,........... just in time for Father's Day, too.
Most excellent ! Have Good Time. :ShitGrinandThumb: And may I wish you a Happy Father's Day. :cheers:

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Designer wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:06 am
surass wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:00 pm
Designer wrote:
surass wrote:
Designer wrote:

hillsy wrote:
We need to ascertain the viability of your Charging System. The last thing you need is to find out it wasn't charging your New Battery when you are out,...far away from home,... while having a Good Day's Ride.

Very Good News to hear. And!,........... just in time for Father's Day, too.
Most excellent ! Have Good Time. :ShitGrinandThumb: And may I wish you a Happy Father's Day. :cheers:
It rode and run beatiful on fathers day for about 15-20 minutes then it started missing again and so I headed home and she died 3 times and then would not start. I heard and big vacuum sucking sound from the gas tank each time this has happened. Sat 4 hours in the hot sun waiting for AAA to tow me home. All ideas welcomed! :bang: :bang: :bang:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

1. Be sure you have sufficient fuel and the petcocks are in the correct positions.
2. if you get a vacuum sucking sound when you remove the gas cap, the venting within the cap is plugged. Disassemble the cap and clean it well.