Beautiful Ride then she Died

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Re: Beautiful Ride then she Died

Post by FinTruder »

My bike came back from repair shop. Surprised that only flaws were broken regulator and stator. Engineers tested cylinders and valves with no bad outcomes. Still front cylinder breather puffs vapor out and mechanic said there is nothing to worry about, "all parts are good"
Popping issue vanished also, can bad electric system really make bike bang?

I'm considering myself lucky. Bill wasn't so much and for gratitude i purchased new tyres and winter place from this guy.

Happy again
Disassemble, assemble, repeat

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

FinTruder wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:04 am
My bike came back from repair shop. Surprised that only flaws were broken regulator and stator. Engineers tested cylinders and valves with no bad outcomes. Still front cylinder breather puffs vapor out and mechanic said there is nothing to worry about, "all parts are good"
Popping issue vanished also, can bad electric system really make bike bang?

I'm considering myself lucky. Bill wasn't so much and for gratitude i purchased new tyres and winter place from this guy.

Happy again
Bad electrical systems often appear to be carb problems.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

navigator wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:33 am
FinTruder wrote:
My bike came back from repair shop. Surprised that only flaws were broken regulator and stator. Engineers tested cylinders and valves with no bad outcomes. Popping issue vanished also, can bad electric system really make bike bang?
Happy again
Bad electrical systems often appear to be carb problems.
What navigator says is true. I can speak from experience on that,....twice. Glad you are Happy once again.
FinTruder wrote:
Still front cylinder breather puffs vapor out
I have a Mod that will eliminate the residue/Dirt/crap that ends up accumulating all over the Front Cylinder Head from this Vapor.
Would you like to see it?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

surass
Learning My Moped
My Bike: s83

Post by surass »

Stretch wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:27 pm
OK, so I had a really similar experience here with my '95 1400. 80+ miles into a 100 mile commute, and everything went dark. No power, no crank, no lights, nothing at all. I am not sure who first pointed out the ground cable, but after a week of trying to trace down the problem, they were correct (if only I had found this forum then...). Ground off the Neg. terminal had arced out. After a new battery, checking countless connections, etc. that was all it was.

Sorry if this is obv. or repetitive...just been there before.

~Stretch
Well I just pulled and checked all the fuses and all were good. Then I went back to the ground wire unbolted and cleaned and retightened....still no lights no power no starter no horn ....nothin....this is very frustrating all ideas are welcome :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

surass wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:22 am
\
Well I just pulled and checked all the fuses and all were good. Then I went back to the ground wire unbolted and cleaned and retightened....still no lights no power no starter no horn ....nothin....this is very frustrating all ideas are welcome
How did you test the connection??

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:46 pm
surass wrote:
\
Well I just pulled and checked all the fuses and all were good. Then I went back to the ground wire unbolted and cleaned and retightened....still no lights no power no starter no horn ....nothin....this is very frustrating all ideas are welcome
How did you test the connection??
multi-meter

:bang: :bang:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Poss to ground and you have voltage reading at the cable and frame??

OK try this
Turn your ignition on and wiggly wires
If and when you find the short your head light will come on so you shouldn't have to stare at your dash
You can also set up a mirror in front of the bike

I wish I could help more but IM sure you will find the problem

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:39 pm
Poss to ground and you have voltage reading at the cable and frame??

OK try this
Turn your ignition on and wiggly wires
If and when you find the short your head light will come on so you shouldn't have to stare at your dash
You can also set up a mirror in front of the bike

I wish I could help more but IM sure you will find the problem
Thank You FA! I will try the wiggly wires technique in the morning. This is entirely frustrating but I do indeed appreciate your help!! :cheers:

Will post back what I find :bang:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

surass wrote:
Stretch wrote:
OK, so I had a really similar experience here with my '95 1400. 80+ miles into a 100 mile commute, and everything went dark. No power, no crank, no lights, nothing at all. I am not sure who first pointed out the ground cable, but after a week of trying to trace down the problem, they were correct (if only I had found this forum then...). Ground off the Neg. terminal had arced out. After a new battery, checking countless connections, etc. that was all it was.

~Stretch
Well I just pulled and checked all the fuses and all were good. Then I went back to the ground wire unbolted and cleaned and retightened....still no lights no power no starter no horn ....nothin....this is very frustrating all ideas are welcome :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Pull the ignition switch, clean it and put some dielectric grease (Vaseline will work) on the connections. Also clean the battery connections and make sure the cables are tight. Sometimes they seam tight but are not.

Also check the kill switch. I saw on another forum that someone went through hell with the same issue and it was a broken kill switch. It was always off no matter how it was flipped.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Is there a main fuse somewhere that is not in the fusebox? :confused:

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

sgtcall wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:01 pm
surass wrote:
Stretch wrote:

~Stretch
Pull the ignition switch, clean it and put some dielectric grease (Vaseline will work) on the connections. Also clean the battery connections and make sure the cables are tight. Sometimes they seam tight but are not.

Also check the kill switch. I saw on another forum that someone went through hell with the same issue and it was a broken kill switch. It was always off no matter how it was flipped.
Will check these things Thanks!!! :bang:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

surass wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:00 pm
Yes
#4 is designated "Battery" it also powers other components
I thought you check and had power at the fuse box

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:31 pm
surass wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:00 pm
Yes
#4 is designated "Battery" it also powers other components
I thought you check and had power at the fuse box
Not sure if I had power to the fusebox I just checked to see if they were blown or not and they were good. How would I check to see if power is coming up there? :confused:

Is there a separate fuse coming off the Positive battery cable before going to the ignition switch? :bang:
Kinda looks like that on one of the schematics :bang:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Grnd a test light the the Battery Negative and probe the fuses
Or Grnd the negative side of your volt Ohm meter and probe the fuses

If no , power you can hot wire the fuse box
connect a peace of wire to the positive terminal on the battery Pull a fuse slip the wire in the slot and replace the fuse
This is not a fix but it will help you locate bad grounds (If you have bad grounds)

I use a test light or power probe for 90% of wiring diagnostics If I have current then I would use a volt meter if I believe the current is low.
My power probe has a volt meter Light and buzzer built in Also has power and ground at the flip of a switch and a ground wire Also a built in breaker. Its just a fancy test light but handiest electrical tool I have in my box

Also you may have a relay in between yous battery and fuse box

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:28 pm
Grnd a test light the the Battery Negative and probe the fuses
Or Grnd the negative side of your volt Ohm meter and probe the fuses

If no , power you can hot wire the fuse box
connect a peace of wire to the positive terminal on the battery Pull a fuse slip the wire in the slot and replace the fuse
This is not a fix but it will help you locate bad grounds (If you have bad grounds)

I use a test light or power probe for 90% of wiring diagnostics If I have current then I would use a volt meter if I believe the current is low.
My power probe has a volt meter Light and buzzer built in Also has power and ground at the flip of a switch and a ground wire Also a built in breaker. Its just a fancy test light but handiest electrical tool I have in my box

Also you may have a relay in between yous battery and fuse box
Yes, I have been thinking about relays to check too. Sounds like a good tool to have. Where can I get one? :bang: Thanks! :bang: :bang:
Do you know if there is a fuse between the positive batt and the ignition? :confused:

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Post by FinTruder »

Designer wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:44 am
I have a Mod that will eliminate the residue/Dirt/crap that ends up accumulating all over the Front Cylinder Head from this Vapor.

I would love to. Let us see that mod!
Disassemble, assemble, repeat

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FinTruder wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:55 pm
[/quote]

I would love to. Let us see that mod!
[/quote]

think so....maybee....you on the right place man? :blink: :blink: :bonk:

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Do you know if there is a fuse between the positive batt and the ignition? :confused: :bang: :donno: :bang:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The wiring for the 1400 has changed very little over the years. Things have been changed/added, the ignition box wiring, the addition of the boost sensor, the fuel pump prime circuit, and the 4-way flasher system. The basic power system is the same throughout the 1400 production.

The following 2 wiring diagrams should help sort out what is happening. The color code diagram is the easiest to use for this purpose.

The power goes from the battery to a split, one goes to the start solenoid the other goes to the fuse panel at the battery fuse. It then goes out to the ignition switch, then from the switch, it goes back to the rest of the fuses in the panel, then out to the systems.

The first check is to check for power at the battery fuse, if it is there and not at any of the other switches then it is somewhere between the panel and the circuit returning it to the panel from the switch. A broken wire, broken switch, or the connector behind the switch.

It is possible to get to the connector behind the switch and check for power on the red wire, if it is there then jumper the red to the other 3 wires and all systems should work.

I had a switch fall apart, on the inside, and in order to get home, I had to cut the wires from the back of the switch and tie them all together.

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Herb wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:11 pm
The wiring for the 1400 has changed very little over the years. Things have been changed/added, the ignition box wiring, the addition of the boost sensor, the fuel pump prime circuit, and the 4-way flasher system. The basic power system is the same throughout the 1400 production.

The following 2 wiring diagrams should help sort out what is happening. The color code diagram is the easiest to use for this purpose.

The power goes from the battery to a split, one goes to the start solenoid the other goes to the fuse panel at the battery fuse. It then goes out to the ignition switch, then from the switch, it goes back to the rest of the fuses in the panel, then out to the systems.

The first check is to check for power at the battery fuse, if it is there and not at any of the other switches then it is somewhere between the panel and the circuit returning it to the panel from the switch. A broken wire, broken switch, or the connector behind the switch.

It is possible to get to the connector behind the switch and check for power on the red wire, if it is there then jumper the red to the other 3 wires and all systems should work.

I had a switch fall apart, on the inside, and in order to get home, I had to cut the wires from the back of the switch and tie them all together.

Wow this is awesome information and I will be checking this out in the Morn!!! Thanks so very much Herb!!! :bow: :bang: