Shaking and fingers missing

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Shaking and fingers missing

Post by FinTruder »

Hello. I have a question for all of you fellow riders in here. How did you reduce or prevent tremor from your bike. My driving stance is perfect and bike is builded right, but my fingers are missing pretty fast while riding. I dont have any spine or nerve issues and my riding gear is fine. I'm starting to think these handlebars are maybe bad? Is here anyone that experienced similar issues and maybe figured out better solution?

Thanks.

My bike and handlebars:
Disassemble, assemble, repeat

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Shaking and fingers missing

Post by Lechy »

Try a carb synch to smooth out the engine vibrations. Do a fork service, check wheel bearings.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

You can install anti vibration bar end weights but you may have to relocate the bar end signals. Here is an example, but you would have to find some that fit your bar size. https://www.amazon.com/NBX-Replacement- ... %3D&sr=8-5
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

What Lechy says is fundamental in finding out what is wrong.

May I ask,....when you say,..." my fingers are missing"....are you talking about your fingers going numb (having less feeling? ).

If so, does one hand feel more numb than the other? Are you right-handed, or left-handed ?

Does your Left Handlebar Grip vibrate more than the Right one? ( the mirrors will indicate this )

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling

Post by FinTruder »

Designer wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:27 am
What Lechy says is fundamental in finding out what is wrong.

May I ask,....when you say,..." my fingers are missing"....are you talking about your fingers going numb (having less feeling? ).

If so, does one hand feel more numb than the other? Are you right-handed, or left-handed ?

Does your Left Handlebar Grip vibrate more than the Right one? ( the mirrors will indicate this )
Yeah, they go numb, both hands and all fingers. This issue comes always with almost any bike that have wrong handlebars, no matter if it's chopper or stock superbike. When it hits 80km/h fingers go numb.
Maybe I'm too sensitive who knows. Funny thing is that with dirt bikes i feel less numbish..

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

This is a bit off the wall, but what you are describing could be a blood circulation problem. Do you wear the same jacket when riding? Does your shirt or jacket bunch up under your arm pits? Try a different position, the one I find most comfy is to sit with my body slightly bent forward, with the bar height about 4-6" lower than shoulder height, 28" wide bars (I have a 38" chest so make an adjustment for your body size) with a 10-15 deg turn back for my wrists, no turn down, OEM foot pegs (but I'm a shortarse so original suits me just fine).
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

I had the same type of thing happen to me. You might have what is called Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20355603

The first thing I tried was to dampen the Handlebars' vibration by making my own insert into the handlebar.

Using the principle of a Dead Blow Hammer, I made an insert that had BB's ( normally used in a BB gun) inside it.
It was a rubber tube almost filled ( but not totally) with BB's, with a plug on each end (so they didn't fall out). The idea is that the Handlebar's vibrational energy would be dissipated into the BB's bouncing inside the tube. Worked really well. But the numbness didn't go totally away.

So after extensive research into what causes the pain of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, I discovered vibration is only part of the problem. It has also to do with Ergonomics,..... and how your hand (and it's curved arches, tendons and muscles) fit the grip itself.

I tried two "barrel-shaped" curved grips,...they worked only okay,...and later found these;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324127437029?h ... Swdz9d7u4t

I LOVE THEM !! ..... :ShitGrinandThumb: Cannot ride long distances without them. :ShitGrin:

They have two rubber "bulges" that are placed asymmetrically ( for both left and right hands) so as to take into account the two biggest "arches" of your hands.( as they pertain to Motorcycle Grips.)

They WORK! :rock:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have the same kind of problem and the flatter the handlebars the worse it is.

I have found that, for me, the stock buckhorn bars on a1400 is almost perfect.

Sit on the bike holding it upright, let your hands hang naturally to your sides, raise your hands up to the bars without twisting your wrist. Getting bars that come as close to the position your hands are in and the width of the spread of the arms will end up making things much bettter.

One more thing, wearing padded gloves, that are not real tight will also help.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

In addition to the aforementioned bar end weights, I installed a Bar Snake.
http://www.barsnake.com/
You would have to relocate your signals, and it won't work with internally wired bars.
Good luck in your trials.

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling

Post by FinTruder »

No healthy issues here. Trust me, 20y of working in healthcare as paramedic I've been in very many many many times in all kinds of examinations and tests. I'm healthy as man can be. I've been thinking that dirt bike thing that those usually have plastic/thick 'n semi-soft bars.. Not for cruiser style tho..

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Another thought. I can't see the bottom of your risers in the pictures. Do you have rubber spacers between the risers and the triple tree? If you are metal on metal that would cause more vibration.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling

Post by FinTruder »

sgtcall wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:47 am
Another thought. I can't see the bottom of your risers in the pictures. Do you have rubber spacers between the risers and the triple tree? If you are metal on metal that would cause more vibration.
Good point dude! Only metal spacers!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

FinTruder wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:55 am
sgtcall wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:47 am
Good point dude! Only metal spacers!
I would add a rubber bushing to the risers. something like this example. https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-special ... 594683.sku

At the very least add a thick rubber washer between the riser and the triple tree. Something to absorb the vibration. Washers could be a 2 Euro fix but the bushings for 10-20 Euros would be better. At least worth a try before you go to crazy on other stuff. But a carb sync would not hurt either.

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling

Post by FinTruder »

I just got my bike from mechanic and carbs are rebuilded and synchronized. One thing i have to do is change my back tire.. it is... Well seen it's glory days. Burned flat and 5y old so i assume that it can also be one of reasons why bike vibrates. Here in Finland we need to store bikes pretty long time because long winters and i think previous owner didn't care about right storage temps.

Thanks for bushings link, i think i need those for sure.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The bar end weights are designed to minimise vibration. Not sure if that is your issue but they would probably help.

The1Chef
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Vs1400 and Warrior 1700

Post by The1Chef »

It happens to me as well. I am always hanging one arm down and shaking it and let it rest then the other. Some riding positions are worse than others but it seems the more downward my weight is the faster and more often they go numb. I wont ride a sport bike because of it.

I assume circulation is part of it and carpel tunnel? syndrome as well but I just deal with it.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

The1Chef wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:11 am
It happens to me as well. I am always hanging one arm down and shaking it and let it rest then the other. Some riding positions are worse than others but it seems the more downward my weight is the faster and more often they go numb. I wont ride a sport bike because of it.

I assume circulation is part of it and carpel tunnel? syndrome as well but I just deal with it.
You describe exactly what I was doing to try to stop the numbing while Riding.

Please see my message above about my experiences with Vibration/Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

When I discovered I had it, I had no health "issues" at all. Certainly none to indicate I had CTS. It was some other folks got.

But then........ :dunno: