03 VS1400 won’t turn over after stator/pickup coil replacement

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 03 VS1400

03 VS1400 won’t turn over after stator/pickup coil replacement

Post by plyr1 »

A few days ago I replaced the stator and the pickup coils on my 2003 VS1400, after replacing them I rode about 5 miles at 40mph and then a few hours later I rode about 20 miles at highway speeds(70-80mph) when the bike backfired and then lost power, I have not been able to get the bike to turn over since. I’ve checked the battery and switched the plugs but still nothing. I’m not very mechanically inclined but my thoughts were my problem is probably with the pickup coils and not the stator but why would it have ran fine for 25 miles if that was the case. I bought a gasket and am going to take the cover off again and flip the position of the coils, in the manual it says the flat part goes down but I think when taking it apart they went up, does anyone know the correct direction? Or if this is even plausible as my issue? I wanted to ask first and see if anybody else has any ideas before spending $50 in oil and a gasket. I fear something may have came loose and the engine is toast so I’m holding out for a hero, Any help is much appreciated.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: 03 VS1400 won’t turn over after stator/pickup coil replacement

Post by Lechy »

Trace the wires, make sure that the connector hasn't come apart.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by plyr1 »

Connectors are good.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Start easy.

Check the kill switch.

Check the clutch and kickstand switch. If the clutch is bypassed make sure it is still wired.

Check the fuses.

Negative ground to the frame.

Battery cables tight.

How old is the battery?
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by plyr1 »

Battery is about 4 months, I’ve tried a couple though and none are working including one I know works on another bike, all the other stuff was checked as well.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Clean all the battery connections to ground. Some of the smarter guys will be on soon to give you better details. Until then read through this topic. http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... 10&t=12901
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Please clarify when you say "the bike won't turn over"

Do you mean the starter engages and turns the engine......but doesn't fire.....or nothing happens when you hit the start button?

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by plyr1 »

That starter engages and the bike tries to turn over but it just won’t catch.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

How is the fuel level in the tank? Turn on the reserve, prime it (see below) and try to start it.

Assuming your clutch safety is not by passed.

Turn the key on, leave the clutch out and press the starter. Can you hear the fuel pump clicking? (This is how you prime the bike)

How are the spark plugs? Are you getting spark?

Hillsy is here and I am sure others will be in shortly. Lots of smart people on the site, I just keep guessing until I figure it out.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

sgtcall is on the right track - check your fuel pump is working / flowing fuel and then check you have spark.

Don't check the fuel flow and the spark at the same time though... :OhNo;

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

There's three things you must have in order for the bike to run.
1. Fuel
2. Compression
3. Spark

If you're missing any of these things, forget it until you find the cause of why your not getting one or more of them.

So, 1. Is there fuel getting to the carbs? If not? find out why. Debris may have clogged up the needle valves.
2. Remove one of the spark plugs and either use a compression gauge or, put your finger in the spark plug hole and crank her over. You 'll know if you're getting compression. This one is a major bummer if you're not getting, but these bike are pretty strong.
3. Plug the removed sparkplug back into the coil wire and lay in on the head of the bike. Crank her over and observe the spark at the spark gap. If there is not spark, start be checking your fuses, wiring and the like.

Having a helper might be beneficial when cranking her over.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Not understanding the problem.

Does the starter turn the engine over but it won't fire/Start?

Have you checked all of the fuses? Check them for continuity with a multimeter, don't just visually inspect them.

If so, does it have spark? Pull a spark plug and attach the wire to it then ground the outside of the plug to the head where the gap between the 2 electrodes can be seen. Crank the engine over and watch for spark.

Let us know what you have and we will take it from there.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by plyr1 »

Yes the starter will turn the engine over but it just won’t catch, compression and spark are good, I checked all the fuses with a tool and they were fine, the carbs are getting fuel as well. When I press the start button it clicks a bit then sounds like it’s trying to start.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

You aren't getting fuel. Pull the plugs and using a straw drop just a drop or two of fuel in. Reseat the plugs and turn it over. If it fires start tracing the fuel system.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Oops.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

plyr1 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:02 am
When I press the start button it clicks a bit then sounds like it’s trying to start.
Battery fully charged? Sounds like it may not be?

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by plyr1 »

Yes it is, I’ve tried a few batteries and hooked the bike up directly to my car battery.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Okay maybe try some starter fluid whilst cranking. If you have spark then you should get it to fire.

If it fires with starter fluid then your carbs aren't getting gas.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Can I ask why you changed the stator and coils?

Okay from what you've posted, you change the parts and it ran fine for roughly 50 miles, then backfired and died. So I would keep this really simple.
1. Make sure none of your recent work has produced a short. Not just at the parts changed but traced back anywhere the wiring might contact the frame.
2. Check for good spark
3. Check battery output. I know you said it's charged but what does it read when the starter's pushed.
4. Is it pumping fuel? See my previous suggestion.

From being around the forum for year's a couple common themes. Backfire and dead NORMALLY indicate a battery issue on the vs. So make sure the battery itself isn't grounding out!!!!

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by plyr1 »

The stator was dead and was not charging the battery and when I went to change it out I could not get the wires out of the grommet so I just bought the whole assembly (stator+pickup coils) and installed it. I’ll check the wire if again but all I had to do was plug the connectors together.