03 VS1400 won’t turn over after stator/pickup coil replacement

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: 03 VS1400 won’t turn over after stator/pickup coil replacement

Post by Herb »

What is the battery voltage when cranking the engine?

Does it sound like the starter is turning the engine as fast as it did before the problem?

I had a problem with corrosion on the starter terminal.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Post by plyr1 »

Not sure about the voltage and I don’t have a meter, I just used my batterie chargers light to tell combined with the fact I tried the batterie with another bike and it started up just fine. It defiantly sounds the same from what I can tell, It usually starts right up though so hard to tell.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:57 am
plyr1 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:02 am
When I press the start button it clicks a bit then sounds like it’s trying to start.
Battery fully charged? Sounds like it may not be?
You say it clicks, then tries to start....
I have to agree that it is a battery issue...or dirty corroded connections.
Using jumper cables to another battery usually doesn't work well because the jumper cable clamps have a minimal contact area.
9 times out of 10 a weak battery / connection will not supply sufficient current to power the starter and the plugs.
As recommended sand all of your battery/frame/starter connections.
Take your battery to an auto parts store and have it LOAD TESTED, it is probably weak.
These bikes run on electric, the engine is just there to charge the battery. :ShitGrin:
JMO.

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by plyr1 »

Will do

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

plyr1 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:23 am
Will do
Like Nav said have the battery Load Tested before you waste time doing anything else. If the battery is bad you are wasting your time.

If you are pressing the start button with the clutch out it should only prime the system and should not try to start unless of course your clutch switch is bypassed.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by plyr1 »

I believe I was able to get it figured out, the bike is running seemingly well now but I only rode for 5 min or so, I’ll go out for a longer ride tomorrow. Thanks a million to y’all for helping a fun fun like me out, it makes riding a much more enjoyable experience.

All I did was replace the battery, I was really hung up on the idea that it had to be the pickup coils due to just having replaced them and then the sudden issue but given so many here mentioned it and I found a hole leaking fluid in my main battery I decided to give it a shot. The big mistake I made was assuming that because I hooked up the bike to my car battery which I know works, the battery could not be the issue, I did not realize that using jumper cables limits the power that can go through and I was using the cables to make connecting the battery easier given I was doing it a lot. In the end The battery in the bike know is one I tested before but it’s no longer connected through the cables. Hopefully this is in fact the main issue and there is not something else causing my battery to go bad, I’m going to get a meter tomorrow and check the charging system. Again, thanks for the help.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Thanks for letting us know what the problem was.

It's really easy to get wrapped around the handle on a problem that seems related to something we just did.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:12 pm
Thanks for letting us know what the problem was.
It's really easy to get wrapped around the handle on a problem that seems related to something we just did.
Thank you sgtcall, navigator and Herb for your Good Call about it being the Battery. Looks like plyr is going to be in good shape.

What Herb said about first focusing on .. "something we just did"...only makes sense when diagnosing the problem. Interesting how the battery issue cropped up at the same time.

Coincidences do happen!

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!