Pod air filters, big Jets and open headers?

JosephPotwin
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1993 Suzuki intruder 1400

Pod air filters, big Jets and open headers?

Post by JosephPotwin »

Do I need to put baffles in my 93’ 1400 if I’m running open headers and pod air filters with bigger jets?, right now I’m running open headers and stock air box, stock jets, I’m planning ongetting bigger jets and getting pod air filters for the bike as well, any advice?, will this work well?, I’m thinking of going with a 145 front and a 160 rear? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Pod air filters, big Jets and open headers?

Post by hillsy »

How does it run now? If it runs poorly, then there's your answer.

Also - define open headers? Are you running full length unbaffled pipes or were the mufflers just cut off and you have only half length pipes?

JosephPotwin
Tricycles are Cool

Post by JosephPotwin »

It has pipes up until where the mufflers would attached I would say half length pipes then, it actually runs really good on top end, at low rpms when I go straight to WOT it can have a bog but then picks up quite well after

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

JosephPotwin wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:34 pm
It has pipes up until where the mufflers would attached I would say half length pipes then, it actually runs really good on top end, at low rpms when I go straight to WOT it can have a bog but then picks up quite well after
Sounds like you might need bigger pilots / shim the needles.

JosephPotwin
Tricycles are Cool

Post by JosephPotwin »

Is My plan for running 145 front and 160 rear jets feasible with pod air filters and half pipes, I haven’t installed the 145 front and 160 rear main jets yet, I’m trying to uncork my bike as best possible, also I’d rather not have to install a lollipop baffles as well, also do you have a specific size pilot jet you’d recommend for my specific application when I upgrade to the main jets I just described above?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

I might like to say, before you take up on the jetting suggestion, you might want to address your Pipes first.

I had a lack of power in the Mid-range back when I first installed my Straight Pipes that no amount of re-jetting could retrieve.

After reading up, I found out that there was a Reversion Shock Wave that was the culprit. It starts at the exit point of the exhaust pipes and travels back up the pipes and into the combustion chamber too. You can learn about it at Big City Thunder. I bought their Thunder Monster "baffle" and after installing them, it was easy to fine tune the jetting for a smooth and wide Power Band.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

JosephPotwin
Tricycles are Cool

Post by JosephPotwin »

Thank you for the lead designer, those baffles look like they will definitely help after I did a little research on their page, could I also achieve similar results with a simple lollipop baffle as well?, thank you

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The biggest issue will be the tuned length of the pipes (or lack thereof).

Baffles and lollipops may help but it's kind of a compromise all up. I tried lollipops in my LC shotgun pipes and they did nothing. I ended up with a V&H 2-1 system but that's another story.

You have adjustability with pilot / midrange fuelling in the carbs (jets / needle shim) so you may find this might help.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

JosephPotwin wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:12 pm
Thank you for the lead designer, those baffles look like they will definitely help after I did a little research on their page, could I also achieve similar results with a simple lollipop baffle as well?, thank you
The "lollypop" solution has been tried as a cost-saving measure,.....and has had mixed results. Seems the guys who said it didn't work were the ones that didn't know much about Exhaust Tuning.

However, the Tuned-And-Tested Thunder Monster works so well, right off the bat.

When I thought of my Riding Time, I opted for immediate success....and it saved me time in jetting too. Because you'll never know if the lollypop actually worked as you try re-jetting to get the Power Back.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Holy crap - $50 for a lollipop in a tube?

https://bigcitythunder.com/collections/ ... er-baffles

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Like I said JosephPotwin,...the guys who's lollypops didn't work don't have much Mechanical/Technical Knowledge about what all's involved with Exhaust Tuning. :dunno:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Probably easier to muck around with lollipops than to break the carbs open so good luck with it.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

JosephPotwin wrote:
This is classic Reversion Shock Wave Power-Robbing.

Depending on when you want to be Riding Well again, you can muck around a long time with lollypops, with no guarantee of success, and probably end up unsuccessful like hillsy did.......or you can buy The Professional Exhaust Tuning Experience of Jim Maybeck @ Big city Thunder and hit the Bulls-Eye Right away.

One thing I know from Carburetor Jetting Experience, if you want to go with Pod Air Filters and Rejetting, you'd be wise to make sure the Exhaust Tuning is reliably taken care of first.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

JosephPotwin wrote:
Might need some pics to clarify - do you mean the pipes stop where the original mufflers would have joined? Are the pipes the stock headers? If so you're wasting your time trying to baffle them. You will need more length in the pipe for this to work effectively.

JosephPotwin
Tricycles are Cool

Post by JosephPotwin »

That’s exactly what I mean, the stock headers are all that’s on the bike, I looks like the previous owner already drilled holes in the bottom of them to put in some lollipops but never installed any, I put some lolipop baffles in tonight and it’s actually pulling better from the bottom but I have noticed some significant loss in my top end power, still a slight bog from time to time when I go WOT in 1st gear around 5-10mph, but my cruising mid range torque has improved, and my bike isn’t as obnoxiously loud anymore, I still feel I need to rejet and install pod air filters for my application, any more thoughts on this?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Yes, I might suggest that you first I would install a Straight Pipe onto your Stock Exhaust Headers...no lollypop. I don't know if you want chrome or not, but I would make it no less than 18" long. No need for a Cross-over pipe.
Then install the Baffle about 6" up from the end of that New Pipe. Perhaps it's best hold off on any Air Filter/RE-jetting until you are satisfied with a Nice wide Uninterrupted Power Band. You may get lucky and have those lollypops do that for you.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

JosephPotwin wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:39 pm
I still feel I need to rejet and install pod air filters for my application, any more thoughts on this?
If you want to keep the pipes as they are then you will need to rejet the carbs to see any improvement (but you may not see any). You really need either some mufflers or some extended pipe on there. The stock system LENGTH is key to the way the bike is tuned more than anything else so if you are running half length exhausts you are compromising - as you've discovered with adding lollipops and getting slightly better mid range but strangling the top end.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

JosephPotwin wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:39 pm
That’s exactly what I mean, the stock headers are all that’s on the bike, I looks like the previous owner already drilled holes in the bottom of them to put in some lollipops but never installed any, I put some lolipop baffles in tonight and it’s actually pulling better from the bottom but I have noticed some significant loss in my top end power, still a slight bog from time to time when I go WOT in 1st gear around 5-10mph, but my cruising mid range torque has improved, and my bike isn’t as obnoxiously loud anymore, I still feel I need to rejet and install pod air filters for my application, any more thoughts on this?
Designer wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:05 pm
Yes, I might suggest that you first I would install a Straight Pipe onto your Stock Exhaust Headers...no lollypop. I don't know if you want chrome or not, but I would make it no less than 18" long. No need for a Cross-over pipe.
Then install the Baffle about 6" up from the end of that New Pipe. Perhaps it's best hold off on any Air Filter/RE-jetting until you are satisfied with a Nice wide Uninterrupted Power Band. You may get lucky and have those lollypops do that for you.
Hey Joseph,...any Updates on your Problem-solving?