Headlights and daytime runners out.

JaredWarne93
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 93 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Headlights and daytime runners out.

Post by JaredWarne93 »

I have a 93 1400 and about a month ago I was heading home from work and suddenly slowing to a stoplight my low beams went out. Luckily my high beams still worked. I checked the bulb and saw it was still ok. Odd. So I rode pushing full brights for a few days and then bam. No high beams. Awesome. I've looked into the bulb again and now it's actually burnt out and my bulb connector is slightly melted. So I purchased a new connector. This one only had 1 wire for each pin. Where as the old one had 2 hots and 2 grounds to each. Rewired it to the new one with bullet connectors and nothing. No lights still No fuses blown. Cleaned small amount of corrosion on switch.. No visible grounds loose. I'm at a loss. Wire diagram available here I've seen multiple times. Can't find an issue. Any tips?
Ps. Also horn doesn't work. I can jump the horn with a paperclip. But switch is shot? Turn signals work just fine.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Headlights and daytime runners out.

Post by Designer »

Electrical is most always a headache.

Without going through a Wire-by-wire continuity testing procedure. I'd first make a quick check the switches/wires on the Handlebars. They hang out there in the weather, and might be your problem-source.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have had a lot of trouble with the horn and headlight switches, mostly because when I was working the bike sat outside all day, rain and shine. I have also gone through 3 horns.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Uxbridge Brule
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 S83 83 750Maxim 06 WR250

Post by Uxbridge Brule »

Was the bulb you replaced the correct wattage or a higher wattage? Could be you were drawing higher watts than the wires could handle and you burned up the wires in the circuit. The week on constant high beam could have put it over the edge. Are you getting power to the new connector?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Uxbridge Brule wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:06 pm
Are you getting power to the new connector?
After you verify you have power at the fuse and they are good this is where you start to troubleshoot.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I always run highbeam during the daylight hours, never caused a problem.

Is there a chance that you lost the ground somehow?

I would start tracing the power backwards from the head light. if you have power at the headlight then start checking the ground.

I think you said you have the wiring diagram that is on this site, if not let me know and I will post it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Uxbridge Brule
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 S83 83 750Maxim 06 WR250

Post by Uxbridge Brule »

I just mentioned the high beam because if the bulb that was taken out was of a higher watt than standard that can put a strain on the wires. The connector was melted which makes me wonder if the bulb was of the right watt.