Crank Case Vent with Pods

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Crank Case Vent with Pods

Post by Herb »

I feel sorry for Aequitas4. I am sure that he is overloaded with different theories about how the crankcase vent system works.

Aequitas4, please let us know what setup you decide to use and, after running it for a while, let us know how it works.`
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:36 am
I feel sorry for Aequitas4. I am sure that he is overloaded with different theories about how the crankcase vent system works.
Aequitas4, please let us know what setup you decide to use and, after running it for a while, let us know how it works.`
Yes, there wouldn't have been pages of this "theory" about venting through the engine had someone who hadn't done it just Listened to THEY WHO HAVE done it,.....and successfully, I might add.

I hope he doesn't leave because of what someone was caught trying to start about such a simple thing here;
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13253&start=10

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

This is what was on the 56 chevy v8.

The large section was the filter and was intended to condense the oil vapors and let them run back into the engine. It mounted on the back of the block.

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Its funny how some people think running the spent gases back through the combustion cycle is the best working arrangement when it was only ever introduced as part of emissions control.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Isn't it funny how someone who has not done something thinks they are an expert on how well it works.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
I think it is far more informative for him to hear about different ideas around the system then just "here - do this".

Understanding why the vent is there in the first place is integral to understanding what to do with it.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:30 pm
Herb wrote:
I think it is far more informative for him to hear about different ideas around the system then just "here - do this".

Except when the suggested "ideas" don't work as well as the original.

hillsy wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:30 pm
Understanding why the vent is there in the first place is integral to understanding what to do with it.
And that was covered pretty much here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13253&start=3

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Herb wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:37 am
This is what was on the 56 chevy v8.

The large section was the filter and was intended to condense the oil vapors and let them run back into the engine. It mounted on the back of the block.

The Crank case vent is much shorter(about an 1 1/2 ) on the V 8s to clear the fire wall and bolted to the rear of the block next to the distributor with a 4 inch 3/8 bolt
The pipe you posted is more likely to have come off of a 235 in line six

P.S. Known as a road draft tube

Honestly guys
WTF

You can bake a cake from a mix or bake a cake from scratch in the end you both baked a fucking cake
Or you can buy a cake and pretend

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Nope, that one came off of a '56 265. I did enough engine changes on the early V8s, to know it went from the back of the block, there was one bell housing bolt that had a stud on the end that used a nut/washer to bolt the pipe to.

The 6 cylinders didn't have the extra bends on them and the downpipe was much longer.

The following video shows the vent pipe at about the 1:45 mark

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Nope
Not enough room for the distributor

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Oh Yah

Me To

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Here is a Draft tube on a 1st Gen Cheve V8

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:24 pm

Not the 56 265. I went through too damn many of the piston breaking things.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Herb wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:29 pm
FallenAngel wrote:

Correct
The draft tube goes through the block where the Oil filter cartridge would be.
Cheve didn't start using oil filter cartridges until 1955,I want to say Later in that model year.
Yah the 265 could go through pistons ring grooves More then likely had something to do with Timing??,trying to much advance to gain better of throttle response with poor castings? The potential was there just not enough engine
It wasnt un common to get a 265 with 1 or 2 over size pistons

Still I would love to find a 55 Cheve Belair with the original matching numbers 265 still in it
Couldn't afford it but would love to find one

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

That is the 55 model. Like this one, which didn't have the oil filter system.

The early 56 or maybe late 55 had the oil filter boss but it wasn't machined out for the filter. An oil filter that was a by-pass type of filter was a dealer-installed item.

The early full-flow oil filters were canister type and a PITA to change. Chevy didn't go to spin on type filters until 67-68.

Go to the video I first posted and it shows the oil filter boss at the 1:20 point and you can see the pipe is outside the block I believe it is around the 1:40 point.

Chevy went to side motor mounts in 58.

BTW, overwind a 265 and it would break a piston at the wrist pin, I did that with 3 different engines. When I switched to the 283 I never had that problem again.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:12 pm
Nope
Not enough room for the distributor
BTW, that appears to be a 327 and it is NOT a stock 265 distributer. They had the small cap and a button rotor. The early distributer stood higher off the block It also has the early PVC system on it that went in where the old vent tube plugged in.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

All this banter is a shit load more interesting than just talking about cutting a hole in a pod to stick a hose in.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:57 am
All this banter is a shit load more interesting than just talking about cutting a hole in a pod to stick a hose in.
Not an unlikely response since you are all butthurt that a Good Positive-Crankcase-Venting Suggestion was made and your envy made for your attacking it.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:22 pm
Herb wrote:
FallenAngel wrote:

Correct
Cheve didn't start using oil filter cartridges until 1955,I want to say Later in that model year.
Yah the 265 could go through pistons ring grooves More then likely had something to do with Timing??,trying to much advance to gain better of throttle response with poor castings? The potential was there just not enough engine

Still I would love to find a 55 Cheve Belair with the original matching numbers 265 still in it
Chevy didn't put the v8s in until 55.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Herb wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:04 am
FallenAngel wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:22 pm
Herb wrote:
FallenAngel wrote:

Correct

Chevy didn't put the v8s in until 55.
Herb
Discussing anything with you and designer is like herding cats.
Crank case ventilation is impotent regardless of HOW it is vented
The topic "Crank Case Vent with Pods" is the discussion
Designer posted a solution of how he vented the crank case with pods by cutting a small hole and attached the tube. Done problem solved.
Hillsy suggested just venting to atmosphere another good suggestion that works. Done problem solved
The suggestion came up to vent after the carbs as the preferred method. Good suggestion

Then the discussion turns into a debate and you post a draft tube from a 6 cyl and make the clam that it is off of a 265 v8. Not sure why you would post a ugly rusty distorted peace of pipe in a motorcycle forum with out having it chromed or at the very least paint it.
SO
As the discussion is now a debate I posted No that isnt off of a v8 it "LOOKS" like it came off of an inline 6 and there isnt enough room for the distributor and I mistakenly posted an image of a 327 (without Photo shopping the 327 out of it) to show why it wouldnt work on the v 8 and I post an image of a 1955 265 with the draft tube installed .
You still cant let it go and post a video??? of yet another crusty peace

So what is your point anyway?
You have to be right??
Or you have to prove me wrong
Frankly I could care less Yu can be right and Ill be wrong
One thing I do know for a fact is the draft tube you posted is off of a inline 6 not a v8 of any year
I certainly hope Aequitas4 got the information he was looking for and maybe the suggestions provided here help him work out a solution that works for him