Brake/Turn wiring issue...

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Brake/Turn wiring issue...

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

:Umm:
I can't figure this out and hoping you guys can offer some insight. Lol.
I'm wiring in some led run/turn signal lights in the rear and want them to brake/turn. I put the ground wires to grounds, run wires to the brake wire and turn wires to each turn signal wire. For some reason; The lights will signal fine but not brake.. And will brake only if I disconnect the signal wires.
I disconnected the signal wires, press brake to light them and tap signal wire to that brake wire and it gets brighter like it should work with the signal wire so I'm a bit confuse why it cancels out the brake light wire when hooked to signal wire. The bikes brake light stays working as should regardless.
Thoughts...?

Sunday Feb 13th
Diode kit just came today.
So..
Rectifier diodes -or- Schottky diodes
1a 50v. 1a 20v
3a 400v. 3a 40v

Leaning towards Schottky because less voltage....?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Brake/Turn wiring issue...

Post by navigator »

My guess is that the run/turn units you are installing have an internal circuit that only allows one mode to work at a time.
When you apply the turns it cancels the feed to the run, (or your brake). and vice versa.
Similar circuitry in new vehicles cuts the power to one headlight when that turn signal is activated.
remotely attach the wires to a battery to see if this is the case.
Good luck with your project.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Nope. I tried it directly to battery and it works both circuits. Lit for run and brighter for turn. This happens when I had the run wire to brake while pressed and lit, tapping turn wire on that same brake line would make turn light brighter and not cancel run lamp. It only cancels run (or brake light) when I plug the turn into bikes turn wire.. Doesn't matter if turn signals are active or not either. Freaking me out.. Makes no sense. Lol.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

I had a theory and tried it on battery.

I suspect and seems like it is the case.. That the turn signal wire is acting as a ground when not active and keeping the run light (hooked to brake) from lighting up even when powered.

On battery:
I put black to ground, white run to power and it lights up.
I then tap red turn on power and it blinks brighter.
Then I put that red turn on ground and it cuts the light off even though power is still supplied to white run wire.

How do I deal with this? Lol.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

navigator wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:24 am
Good luck with your project.
And thank you.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:13 pm

I suspect and seems like it is the case.. That the turn signal wire is acting as a ground when not active and keeping the run light (hooked to brake) from lighting up even when powered.

On battery:
Then I put that red turn on ground and it cuts the light off even though power is still supplied to white run wire.

Put a diode in line with the turn signal wire so you dont get any earth leakage.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

hillsy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:17 pm
BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:13 pm

On battery:

Put a diode in line with the turn signal wire so you dont get any earth leakage.
Never messed with diodes before... Any one will do or am I looking for certain specs etc?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

It's for a LED so the current draw is going to be pretty low. You can Google it - there's heaps of articles about using them for LED indicators. Probably a 2A 12V diode will do - you can go higher like 6A and it will still work.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

hillsy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:53 pm
It's for a LED so the current draw is going to be pretty low. You can Google it - there's heaps of articles about using them for LED indicators. Probably a 2A 12V diode will do - you can go higher like 6A and it will still work.
Thanks brother; much appreciated!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

As I understand your bulbs it has a side for the brake light and gets brighter with the T/S turned on.

Standard T/S systems use the brake light for the T/S by actually switching off that side's brake light and then routing the T/S power to the same bulb.

Are you using the standard flasher unit? If so it will never work with led bulbs. You need an electronic flasher unit to make led bulbs flash.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Herb wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:07 pm
As I understand your bulbs it has a side for the brake light and gets brighter with the T/S turned on.

Standard T/S systems use the brake light for the T/S by actually switching off that side's brake light and then routing the T/S power to the same bulb.

Are you using the standard flasher unit? If so it will never work with led bulbs. You need an electronic flasher unit to make led bulbs flash.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Main post updated.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

:Umm:
The diodes allow the signals to brake and the turns to function but they both flash.. Dunno why. D is the diodes in headlamp too. Still no worky. Lol.
:ahha: