Decomp issue? Only cranks sometimes.. Also leaking fuel pump.. Lol

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Decomp issue? Only cranks sometimes.. Also leaking fuel pump.. Lol

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Hey Designer; saw this in the other recent post about damaged AF screw and didn't want to take away from that thread.
Designer wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:12 pm
Hey! So good to hear from you again. Thanks for the Update.

About your Decomp system....I had once some issues,...so I gave mine a "tune up". I lubed the Cables with a Liquid Graphite Lubricant that is used for Mountain Bike Cables. It goes in liquid,...the liquid dries,..and leaves behind Dried Graphite Lubricant.(pretty slippery stuff) A good choice for these cables, kinda-cuz Greases tend to attract dirt and hold it.

And,...I took off the Decomp Return Springs at each Cylinder Head Decomp Lever.....and flexed them "out" to so when installed, they created a bit more "closing power". The power of the Decomp Solenoid is MORE THAN enough to overcome the small amount if increased closing effort the "flexed" Return Springs now created. Never had any problems in 14 years now.

My offer still stands for your Carb. And,....for you?.....NO CHARGE!! :cheers: :clap: :ShitGrinandThumb:
What causes the issue with not starting.. The not returning to resting place or?
This bike will click, and the lever will move but not fully return and every few or several hits of the starter button will result in it turning motor to try starting.. Then go back to click and not crank.. Repeat.
And the stock pump is leaking.. Theirs no fix for that right? Lol.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Decomp issue? Only cranks sometimes.. Also leaking fuel pump.. Lol

Post by Herb »

The decomp solenoid can get dirty and cause it to hang up. it is kind of hard to get to with all of the emissions crap on it but you might try spraying some PB Blaster in on it. Also make sure the cables are adjusted properly.

As for fixing the leaking fuel pump, I doubt that the problem is fixable. You can pull it off, take it apart and see where it is leaking to find out.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Thanks brother.

Seems I'm also leaking fuel from the petcock under tank and the petcock by ignition too.. guessing from where it turns on and off.. :bang:

No fix for those either right?.. Lol.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I just went to Cheap Cycle Parts and looked. They don't have actual rebuild kits but there are some O-rings on the stems that might be the leaks. From the diagram it appears that there are only 2 places it can leak from that it the mounting and stem O-rings.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempart ... /fuel-cock

If it is leaking around the stem for the valve it might be the O-rings. O-rings do get hard with age and then leak.

Wipe them down good and put some toilet paper around the them and see if you can figure out where the gas is coming from.

BTW, the fuel cocks are $144.49 apiece...

I would try replacing the O-rings first...
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Herb wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 pm
I just went to Cheap Cycle Parts and looked. They don't have actual rebuild kits but there are some O-rings on the stems that might be the leaks. From the diagram it appears that there are only 2 places it can leak from that it the mounting and stem O-rings.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempart ... /fuel-cock

If it is leaking around the stem for the valve it might be the O-rings. O-rings do get hard with age and then leak.

Wipe them down good and put some toilet paper around the them and see if you can figure out where the gas is coming from.

BTW, the fuel cocks are $144.49 apiece...

I would try replacing the O-rings first...
Thanks brother. Def going to try the o-rings first. Lol.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Just for general information...

I add about an ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil to a tank of gas. It helps keep the O-Rings and seals soft, prevents corrosion from attacking fuel system parts and helps keep the carbon from building up in the engine.

Both of my pet cocks and fuel pumps are original to my 99 and I still don't have any leaks.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Not sure if this is just for the tank tap...or both....but this is a "rebuild kit" for a 1400....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151563909405

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

By the way - has this bike been sitting with ethanol fuel in it? Could explain why everything has gone at once.

If so you probably should inspect / replace your fuel hoses - particularly the one after the fuel pump because it's under pressure (albeit only 2-5psi). It's bad news all round if that ruptures whilst the engine is running.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Herb wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:29 pm
Just for general information...

I add about an ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil to a tank of gas. It helps keep the O-Rings and seals soft, prevents corrosion from attacking fuel system parts and helps keep the carbon from building up in the engine.

Both of my pet cocks and fuel pumps are original to my 99 and I still don't have any leaks.
How often you do that? Any different than seafoam?
hillsy wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:48 pm
By the way - has this bike been sitting with ethanol fuel in it? Could explain why everything has gone at once.

If so you probably should inspect / replace your fuel hoses - particularly the one after the fuel pump because it's under pressure (albeit only 2-5psi). It's bad news all round if that ruptures whilst the engine is running.
Yeah.. That's it I guess. Will do; thank you.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

the aussie has a good point.. As much as I hate to admit it.

Actually I add the MMO at almost every fill up. Sometimes, on trips I skip it because it is too much of a PITA to carry the MMO.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:33 pm

Maybe you should practice what you preach and keep the bitching out of the tech forums.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:25 am
Herb wrote:
Maybe you should practice what you preach and keep the bitching out of the tech forums.
Pot,....Kettle. :roll:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:21 am
hillsy wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:25 am
Herb wrote:
Pot,....Kettle. :roll:
Is that all we're getting from you? This thread was aimed at you to offer your advice on the decomp.

How about you offer some insight from your many years of experience to help a brother out?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:12 pm
Is that all we're getting from you? This thread was aimed at you to offer your advice on the decomp. How about you offer some insight from your many years of experience to help a brother out?
Well, my,.."Decomp Tune up" that was quoted pretty much does all that is needed to get the Decomp Cables part of the System working to it's Best, most Reliable Mechanical Performance. :dunno:

And all that Herb has posted addresses the Fuel Pump issues to the fullest extent that anyone can....short of replacement, I guess.

An FYI,....IIRC, there was a Recall for the Fuel Cock under the tank for a leakage situation.,,,FWIW

There,...you going to settle down now?

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

So nothing else to add?

Figures.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:52 am
So nothing else to add? Figures.
When my Description of what to do and why in my .."Decomp Tune Up"...covers all you need to do,...why add more that you do not need to do? :dunno:
It is Accurate Information about the Cable Part of the System that was "Dug Up" from a past Tech Thread. Info that is Important to know,... so you do what will be Long-term Effective with the Cable/Levers portion,....and don't end up doing what will not be of help.

And,....Herb's Expertise covers just all you need to do for the Fuel Leak Situation....so why add more to that? :donno:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:48 am
When my Description of what to do and why in my .."Decomp Tune Up"...covers all you need to do,...why add more that you do not need to do?
So you've actually said nothing about the solenoid apart from you've never had problems with them:

Designer wrote:
The power of the Decomp Solenoid is MORE THAN enough to overcome the small amount if increased closing effort the "flexed" Return Springs now created. Never had any problems in 14 years now.

So your "decomp tune up" is pretty much useless to Bronx here :dunno:

Unless you have some other info??

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:12 am
Designer wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:48 am
When my Description of what to do and why in my .."Decomp Tune Up"...covers all you need to do,...why add more that you do not need to do?
So you've actually said nothing about the solenoid apart from you've never had problems with them:
Designer wrote:
The power of the Decomp Solenoid is MORE THAN enough to overcome the small amount if increased closing effort the "flexed" Return Springs now created. Never had any problems in 14 years now.
So your "decomp tune up" is pretty much useless to Bronx here Unless you have some other info??
Man,...you are really an angry attacking person today, aren't you? :uhh:

Please,...Mr. butthurt,...tell us all how all the Tech Info/Procedure in my Decomp Tune up is ...useless...to BRONX INTRUDER given the symptoms he described.

We'll wait. :popcorn:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:22 am

Please,...Mr. butthurt,...tell us all how all the Tech Info/Procedure in my Decomp Tune up is ...useless...to BRONX INTRUDER given the symptoms he described.

We'll wait. :popcorn:
You never even MENTIONED testing the solenoid - you just said "the power of the solenoid is more than enough, blah, blah, blah..." So much for being the "expert" here - all you've contributed so far is "Pot. Kettle"

Here you go Bronx - this is for the 1500 but would be the same for the 1400. The test isn't rocket science but given the intermittent nature of your symptoms it's worth doing.

And you will no doubt be digging into the fuel system / carbs so you should have access to the solenoid to hit it with some lubricant if it's sticking / hanging up.

BABIS
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Post by BABIS »

not sure if this will help but years ago I found that my 270 CCA agm battery can start the bike with the decomp system unwired..
We declare that the splendour of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing automobile with its bonnet adorned with great tubes like serpents with explosive breath ... a roaring motor car which seems to run on machine-gun fire is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.