Decomp issue? Only cranks sometimes.. Also leaking fuel pump.. Lol

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Decomp issue? Only cranks sometimes.. Also leaking fuel pump.. Lol

Post by Herb »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:07 pm
Both petcocks are open and fuel flows freely as I opened it to check before hooking to pump.
OK, How about the fuel flow out of the pump and through the lines to the carbs? The manual has a flow amount that there is supposed to be. I did the test once by pulling the line off of the front carb and using a plastic splice attached a longer hose so i could run it down to a container to measure fuel flow.

If it isn't one of those things it has to be in the carbs. When you cleaned the carbs did you pull the float valve seat out and check the little screens under it?

If it will fire off with fuel in the cylinders, there has to be a blockage somewhere. Considering that both cylinders refuse to run it SHOULD be before the carbs.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

:uhh:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

I'm guessing you don't have an inline fuel filter? Pretty handy - especially for fuel pump set ups because if you draw that kind of crap into a pump it can fail pretty quick. Run it straight after the fuel tap / before the pump.

Something like this:

You can also get the gauze filter element ones - but the paper element ones filter best IMO.

Designer will be along soon to tell you it's not needed because the strainer in the fuel tap is more than enough - but you can see otherwise from the crap you've already dumped out :ShitGrinandThumb:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Looks like that is your problem.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Got it running. The float needle was also stuck closed. Freed it up and now starts easy and rumbles. :rock:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:03 pm
Got it running. The float needle was also stuck closed. Freed it up and now starts easy and rumbles. :rock:
:rock: :cheers:

Now put a fuel filter on it :ShitGrinandThumb:

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Where'd you route it to fit and access filter easily?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:24 pm
Where'd you route it to fit and access filter easily?
I've only ever put one on an LC as opposed to a 1400, but there may be room just behind the fuel pump depending on how big the filter is?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:54 pm
Designer will be along soon to tell you it's not needed because the strainer in the fuel tap is more than enough - but you can see otherwise from the crap you've already dumped out
Here it is guys ....MORE total proof of WHO IS THE PROBLEM person on this board.

hillsy,....show us all where in this Thread that I said anything about Inline filters,,,.or even mention anything about filterig,..like,..AT ALL?

You can't.

There is no Constructive Help for Bronx Intruder to gain from within what you posted above,....Nothing.

All you are doing with saying this is,.....TRYING TO START AN ARGUEMENT.

I can post SEVERAL examples of Needless and Destructive Arguments,...... ALL STARTED BY YOU.

When are you going to stop posting your Negative and Angry Attitude ?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:58 am

hillsy,....show us all where in this Thread that I said anything about Inline filters,,,.or even mention anything about filterig,..like,..AT ALL?

You can't.
Of course you hadn't mentioned them - but it would only be a matter of time before you did.

I mean, after all, you deleted your last post in this thread about the strainer....plus you went back and edited your post from 2019 here....

viewtopic.php?p=143238#p143238

:Cool:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:44 pm
Designer wrote:
You can't.
Of course you hadn't mentioned them - but it would only be a matter of time before you did.
My Gawd! Your Arrogant Self-righteousness knows no bounds!
What a total crock of shit! :roll:

Not only do you think you are..." THE Know it All" ...of the Tech Board,.....now you think You Know What Other Folks Are Going To Do ! :blink:

This is the Second Time you have tried to make needless argument here. Your Demeaning and Insulting behavior attacking others here is inexcusable;
BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:28 am
I have no idea what that is... Or what it's supposed to be used for..
hillsy wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:30 am
- you obviously have fuck all experience with lubing cables...if you dont know what a cable lube tool is .....
What the hell is wrong with you? :roll:

In conclusion,...that you cannot show us all that I mentioned anything about Inline Filters herein proves to us all,...YOU ARE WRONG.
And..confirms all that I have said about your actions.
Designer wrote:
There is no Constructive Help for Bronx Intruder to gain from within what you posted above,....Nothing.

I can post SEVERAL examples of Needless and Destructive Arguments,...... ALL STARTED BY YOU.

When are you going to stop posting your Negative and Angry Attitude ?

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:45 am
hillsy wrote:
Designer wrote:

You can't.

what atotal cropck of shit!

Not only do you think you are the.."know it All" ..of the Tech Board,.....now you think you know what other folks are going to do!

I mean, after all, you deleted your last post in this thread about the strainer....plus you went back and edited your post from 2019 here....
[/quote]

Dude - you been drinking? :dunno:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:48 am
Dude - you been drinking?
You are selectively quoting in a deliberate attempt to evade facing ALL that I said.
Designer wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:45 am
hillsy wrote:
Designer wrote:
You can't.

Not only do you think you are..." THE Know it All" ...of the Tech Board,.....now you think You Know What Other Folks Are Going To Do ! :blink:

This is the Second Time you have tried to make needless argument here. Your Demeaning and Insulting behavior attacking others here is inexcusable;
BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
hillsy wrote:
- you obviously have fuck all experience with lubing cables...if you dont know what a cable lube tool is .....

In conclusion,...that you cannot show us all that I mentioned anything about Inline Filters herein proves to us all,...YOU ARE WRONG.
Designer wrote:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

:funnylast:

So are you saying an inline fuel filter is a good idea?

:Cool:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Hey Bronx - I'm thinking a lot of that crud in your carbs may have been from fuel varnish or even perishing fuel lines from sitting with ethanol fuel.

If it was me I would change out the fuel lines - or at least remove / inspect / clean them. The inline filter will stop crud going into the fuel pump and beyond - but if there is still rubbish past that point it will end up in your carbs again.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Yeah.. I changed the lines too so all should be good now. Lol. Thanks all.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:55 pm
So are you saying an inline fuel filter is a good idea?
By posting this,...you are admitting all this is true;

Designer wrote:
You can't.
hillsy wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:55 pm

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
hillsy wrote:

Designer wrote:

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

hillsy wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:05 pm
Hey Bronx - I'm thinking a lot of that crud in your carbs may have been from fuel varnish or even perishing fuel lines from sitting with ethanol fuel.

If it was me I would change out the fuel lines - or at least remove / inspect / clean them. The inline filter will stop crud going into the fuel pump and beyond - but if there is still rubbish past that point it will end up in your carbs again.
You know.. You probably right. Probably from lines and inside of pump. Maybe that's why it started leaking.. Cleaned all the varnish/sealer out. Lol

I'm going to try opening that pump up and see if I can replace a seal. Coulda swore that someone did that before and wrote about it in the old purple board.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

I know you can get kits to replace the electrical contacts on some fuel pumps - but I can't say I've heard of replacing the seals.

I've never had one apart to check if that's possible but I think I still have an old one in the shed somewhere - if I can find it I'll try and pry it open to see what we're dealing with.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hmmm.

If,."The Crud" we are speaking of were from decrepitating fuel lines,..wouldn't it be Black, (like Fuel lines are)......not Brown (like rust)?? :Umm: