Sheared off head bolt

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Sheared off head bolt

Post by Dominiquer »

So, I had this profuse oil leak (more like spraying) from the forward cylinder after I got the bike back from a local shop for a tune-up. I just didn't have time to do it myself this year. Well, needless to say, I found many other small things wrong, so I'm not going back to them for anything! I spoke to some friends who mentioned breather hoses, and plugs as well as the gasket between the cam cover and cylinder head. Herein lies problem #1: I tried hard not to, but I sheared off one of the loooong bolts while removing the chrome cover. I tried Kroil, heat, vibration, but it sheared. Now I have to extract that bolt from the engine case. I'm assuming I'll have to remove the engine to get it out. Yes? Does anyone (ha!) have advice / experience with this?

No oil leaking from breather hose, seam between the cam cover and cylinder head that I could see. Now I can't get the bike to start. It cranks, but only fired off once, (I was getting hot exhaust from both mufflers) and it was running so rough I shut it down after a minute or two. At this point, I'm figuring I'll get started on a complete overhaul (rings, carbs, etc.) as I tested compression and it's at 120, with 114 as the service limit.

I bought a 2008 C50T to ride while my 96 VS1400 is undergoing this project. This will be my first tear-down, so I'm collecting info before getting started.
Thanks, y'all!
Rick

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Sheared off head bolt

Post by Herb »

Which cylinder and side of the bike is the bolt broken on.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Dominiquer »

Hi Herb,
Thanks for replying. Its the forward cylinder, left side, rear bolt.
Rick

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The manual says you need to remove the engine to get the heads off.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

The bolts on that cover only really seal the cam chain tower. They are not head/cylinder bolts. They are much smaller and have a much lower torque than the head/cylinder bolts.

I had a friend in San Diego that rode one with the front bolt on the rear cylinder cam chain tower broken for over 3 years with no adverse effect. His broke about 4 inches down. He squirted penetratingly oil in the hole to help get it out when he got around to fixing it and just put some RTV on it and shoved it in so the bike wouldn't look funny and to keep water and dirt out so that when he took it apart it wouldn't be any worse. You could probably ride it for years with no problem.

He had a transmission problem and fixed it when he tore it down for the tranny repair.

BTW, in order to get to it, the engine has to come out of the frame and the cylinder has to be removed, a total pain in the butt.

How far down did it break off?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Dominiquer »

Herb,
Are you sure about the purpose of these bolts? In the four covers, there are 2 sets of thinner bolts, and 2 sets of thicker ones. I sheared off a thicker one at the top of the threads (way down there).

Sounds like I'm doing a full rebuild as long as I have to take the engine out.
Thanks!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Dominiquer wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:44 pm
Herb,
Are you sure about the purpose of these bolts? In the four covers, there are 2 sets of thinner bolts, and 2 sets of thicker ones. I sheared off a thicker one at the top of the threads (way down there).

Sounds like I'm doing a full rebuild as long as I have to take the engine out.
Thanks!
Uh, yeah, pretty sure. I had the engine apart on my 99 2 times to do trans repairs.

How important they really are? All I know is that one guy ran his for over 3 years before he tore it down, with no adverse effects. Not sure of the miles he put on it but it was in San Diego county and he used it for a large portion of his transportation

Front cylinder left, side is the cam chain tower. There are actually 4 cylinder bolts and the 2 for the chain tower that go all the way through. The chain tower bolts also help hold the cam cover on that side but there are other bolts that will help with that. There are 2 studs that stick down from the head that have nuts on the cylinder itself. They are right under the intake and exhaust ports, they are removed AFTER the cylinder and head are removed. There are other bolt holes on the cylinder head for the cam cover bolts. The actual head/cylinder bolts are the 4 that have to be accessed after the cam cover a is removed.

In my manual page 3-13 shows it pretty well.

Do you have a manual for the bike? If not I have a Suzuki shop manual in a PDF that I can send to you. If you want it PM me your email address.

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Dominiquer »

Herb,
Thanks! I have a Clymer manual and a Suzuki Manual ( off this site when I first got the bike ). I'm sure if I hadn't gotten the C50T to ride this summer, I'd get this done quicker!

Happy riding!
Rick

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Dominiquer »

So I've been working on taking this bike apart, and I'm up to the last step before removing the engine. I have looked through all the OEM parts diagrams, but I cannot find the part number for the long bolt I sheared off. It's not in any diagrams for cylinders, covers, etc. Can anyone help?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

as near as I can figure you are looking at item 20 on the oem parts list under cylinder head cover, not the cylinder head.

On the page of the manual that shows torque on the head and cover it lists the bolts separate and they have a much lower torque than the head bolts.

https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oempar ... head-front

BTW, when putting it back together you need to watch the head bolts. They have 2 different lengths and have to go in specific positions. The manual diagram shows the difference.

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Dominiquer »

Thanks Herb. I ordered parts, we will see if they are correct when they get here.
Thanks for the tip on the head bolts.
Rick

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Dominiquer »

So, I've gotten the engine out of the bike, and removed the cam covers, cam shafts and cylinders from the lower end. It was much easier to inspect the engine for signs of leaks with it out of the bike, it seems the liquid gasket used between the cam cover and cylinder head had been slow leaking for awhile. There was oil with dirt and grit in it, pretty dried up behind the oil cooler, which is where the big leak came from. I ordered rings and seals and the long bolts that Herb recommended. Thanks all for your input! This site is great! I hope to have this bike rebuilt and riding for my birthday in August!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Thanks' loads for the Progress Report!

I have been watching your plight from afar.

It sounds like you have not spilt the Engine Cases of the "lower end".....right?

Have you considered what to do about compressing the Piston Rings in order to get the Cylinders back on?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:30 pm
Thanks' loads for the Progress Report!

I have been watching your plight from afar.

It sounds like you have not spilt the Engine Cases of the "lower end".....right?

Have you considered what to do about compressing the Piston Rings in order to get the Cylinders back on?
I agree with the thank you for the progress report.

If you haven't considered the pisotn rings, I used a large screw type hose clamp to compress the rings.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

This is the best kind of clamp to be using:

Grow old disgracefully young man.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Or just use your hands? The bottom of the barrels are chamfered / tapered so its pretty east to slide them over the piston and just squeeze the rings in.

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Dominiquer »

I have split the cylinders from the lower engine. I did purchase a ring compressor like the one Lechy posted. I have trouble posting pictures, as I don't store my pics online anywhere, or I'd post some.

Now that I have it all apart, my OCD is kicking in and I think I might paint the bike and clean up chrome parts, etc. What is wrong with me?!!! I should just go ride!!!

Thanks for the input, guys!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Dominiquer wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 4:38 am
I have split the cylinders from the lower engine. I did purchase a ring compressor like the one Lechy posted.
Smart. :space: That is the Method that Professional Mechanics use. Makes the task much easier and go smoother.
Dominiquer wrote:
I have trouble posting pictures, as I don't store my pics online anywhere, or I'd post some.
Like you, I don't store my pictures online either. However, to show them to others via the internet, a Hosting Site is needed. I use a Free One called Postimages. It's Safe, Simple Easy and,.... did I mention?....FREE! :ShitGrinandThumb:

Here's a link;
https://postimages.org/

Dominiquer wrote:
Now that I have it all apart, my OCD is kicking in and I think I might paint the bike and clean up chrome parts, etc. What is wrong with me?!!! I should just go ride!!!
The Bike will ride smoother, faster and corner better after you do all the Cleaning and painting.............. :uhh: ........ :ShitGrin:
Dominiquer wrote:
....Thanks for the input, guys!
You are most Welcome! That's The spirit of our Tech Board......helping others.
Please,...Ride alot,.....post pictures,...and come back often .

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Dominiquer wrote:
I have split the cylinders from the lower engine. I did purchase a ring compressor like the one Lechy posted. I have trouble posting pictures, as I don't store my pics online anywhere, or I'd post some.

Thanks for the input, guys!
If your pics are stored on your computer or a USB drive, it is easy to use Postimage to put them here.

How aboout some pics of before and after your clean up and painting.

BTW, did you have a lot of trouble getting the broken bolt out of the case???

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Dominiquer »

I tried postimage, but I get an error when I enter my email to create an account.

I sheared off the easy-out trying to get the broken bolt out!
:bang: