Sheared off head bolt

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Sheared off head bolt

Post by Designer »

Dominiquer wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:58 am
I tried postimage, but I get an error when I enter my email to create an account.
Hmmm,....maybe it can sense if you might have Cooties? :uhh: :space: :space: ( I'm pulling your leg) . :bow: :lolfall:
But really,..... that's unusual.
There are other free Picture Hosting sites that have been mentioned here on our Board. Perhaps someone who uses them can step in and let you know what they are?
Dominiquer wrote:
I sheared off the easy-out trying to get the broken bolt out! :bang:
WOW! That must have been a shock.
How did you end up getting it out?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Dominiquer wrote:
I tried postimage, but I get an error when I enter my email to create an account.

I sheared off the easy-out trying to get the broken bolt out!
:bang:
I use https://imgbb.com/ for an image host. It's free and pretty user friendly.

So, did you got the bolt out or are you still working on that?

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by Dominiquer »

Thanks, all! Put it on hold for a bit. I've been soaking it in Kroil while I've been working on opening the pool, etc. We'll give it a turn tonight!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Dominiquer wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:34 am
Thanks, all! Put it on hold for a bit. I've been soaking it in Kroil while I've been working on opening the pool, etc. We'll give it a turn tonight!
So there's still some shaft left on the bolt to try and turn? That's good news. Try turning it both ways (not just lefty loosey) to see if it will 'crack' the threads. Then back and forth. If you can get just the slightest of movement that will allow the Kroil to get in there further.

A couple of whacks on the bolt can also help....as well as heat.

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by Dominiquer »

It's been a long time coming, but I've made progress!!!
After (literally) months of trying to get Kroil into the threads, heating the aluminum casing, soaking in Kroil, repeating over and over, filing the broken thread flat on 2 sides for better grip, using a metal wheel to cut a slot in the broken bolt's mangled remains and more, nothing would budge that bolt! I bit the bullet and started drilling (funny, auto- complete put "drinking" in there!). I started small and slow- speed, eventually got the broken bolt all drilled out!!! Filings were normal metal at first, but once I broke through, the shavings were rust! Now, a metric tap to clean up the threads and work on the rebuild can resume! Thanks for all the advice along the way, guys!