Clutch tool question

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

Clutch tool question

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

New battery on the way. Once the bike is running, I will need to replace the clutch plates and springs. It was slipping last time I had it running. For future planning, what do you guys use to keep the clutch pack from spinning when you break/torque the bolts? I don’t need anything fancy if something cheap will work. Just trying to get an idea of how much this project bike is going to cost me to get it riding again ( hopefully things go ok and I don’t have to replace too many parts).

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Clutch tool question

Post by hillsy »

Just having the bike in gear should be enough to stop the hub spinning. You aren't torque-ing those bolts very tight - only around 10 ft/lb.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:32 pm
New battery on the way. Once the bike is running, I will need to replace the clutch plates and springs. It was slipping last time I had it running. For future planning, what do you guys use to keep the clutch pack from spinning when you break/torque the bolts? I don’t need anything fancy if something cheap will work. Just trying to get an idea of how much this project bike is going to cost me to get it riding again ( hopefully things go ok and I don’t have to replace too many parts).
Just put it in gear if it tries to turn. I always just held it with my hand.

BTW, I am willing to bet that the plates are well within specs. Your problem is the springs, not the plates. I wasted a bunch of money on clutch plates.

How many miles on the bike.

Contact Designer on this board for a decent set of springs and bolts. The stock springs are poorly made and lose their strength very quickly. When I first started riding the 1400s I was replacing the plates and springs about every 13-15 thousand miles. About the 3rd time I got smart and checked the plates with a mic and they were almost perfect so I started only replacing the springs. I did that for many thousands of miles. Then I found out about Designer's springs and got a set. The clutch I have on my 99 has over 240,000 miles on it and the Designer Springs have about 200,000 miles on them and still have no slippage.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

Herb wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:06 pm

BTW, I am willing to bet that the plates are well within specs. Your problem is the springs, not the plates. I wasted a bunch of money on clutch plates.

Contact Designer on this board for a decent set of springs and bolts. The stock springs are poorly made and lose their strength very quickly. When I first started riding the 1400s I was replacing the plates and springs about every 13-15 thousand miles. About the 3rd time I got smart and checked the plates with a mic and they were almost perfect so I started only replacing the springs. I did that for many thousands of miles. Then I found out about Designer's springs and got a set. The clutch I have on my 99 has over 240,000 miles on it and the Designer Springs have about 200,000 miles on them and still have no slippage.
I didn’t even think about just putting it in gear🤣. The bike is at about 24,000 miles so it sounds like it’s possible you’re right about the clutch plates. I’ll probably just take the cover off and see what it looks like when the time comes. Thanks fellas.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Another thing to consider is the type of oil you are using - oils designed for cars tend to have friction modifiers in them that are not agreeable with wet multi-plate clutches.

However the 1400's are known to have weak clutch springs so upgrading them is more than likely the best option.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:50 pm
Herb wrote:

I didn’t even think about just putting it in gear🤣. The bike is at about 24,000 miles so it sounds like it’s possible you’re right about the clutch plates. I’ll probably just take the cover off and see what it looks like when the time comes. Thanks fellas.
If you take the clutch plates out, mic them and you will find they are well within the lower limit. Best bet, put good springs in, you don't even have to take the clutch apart. Just change one spring at at time.

BTW if you are using the stock bolts, be very careful of the torque, they break easy.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:46 pm
00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:50 pm
Herb wrote:
Just put it in gear if it tries to turn. I always just held it with my hand.BTW, I am willing to bet that the plates are well within specs. Your problem is the springs, not the plates. I wasted a bunch of money on clutch plates. How many miles on the bike.

Herb is our Resident Clutch Longevity Expert and his Experiences I can attest to.

More than likely, your Plates are well within Specification. I jokingly suggested that you replace them about as often as the Frame. :ShitGrin:

I have sold over 2100 sets of Springs worldwide and everyone but two have kept their Plates and have permanently solved their slippage issues with them.

So,...save your Hard-earned $$$ and get only what you need to fix it.

Herb wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:46 pm
BTW if you are using the stock bolts, be very careful of the torque, they break easy.
And here's proof of what he says;

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!