Backfiring

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Backfiring

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:20 am

You might. Depends on how loud your Pipes are. Standing three feet away, you might not hear it.

Why would you try and listen for an exhaust leak from three feet away?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:30 am
Designer wrote:
You might. Depends on how loud your Pipes are. Standing three feet away, you might not hear it.
Why would you try and listen for an exhaust leak from three feet away?
I really shouldn't have to explain this. :uhh:

Because,...you are STANDING next to a HOT MOTOR.......and.......the Pipes are LOUD.

Why are you ignoring the rest of The Advice I Recommended ?
Designer wrote:
......To check if I had a leak, I used a the Carboard "tube" from the Roll of Paper Towels and put it right up close so as to "focus in" my listening, and tune out the Exhaust Note. REALLY made a difference!

Now,...let's get back to helping 00Vs1400GLP,.... and stop with your Needless Bickering Argumentation,........K? :space: :bow:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:44 am

I really shouldn't have to explain this. :uhh:

Because,...you are STANDING next to a HOT MOTOR.......and.......the Pipes are LOUD.

If you can't stand closer than 3 feet to your motor because it's too hot then you've got much bigger problems going on.

And the exhaust pipes usually point out the back of the bike nowhere near where you would be to listen for exhaust gasket leakage.

It's really not that hard once you've done it a couple of times.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

Designer wrote:

Now,...let's get back to helping 00Vs1400GLP,.... and stop with your Needless Bickering Argumentation,........K? :space: :bow:
By all means, keep it up. It’s entertaining🤣. You all have given me good tips for when I can get back to wrenching on it. Thanks.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:46 am

By all means, keep it up. It’s entertaining🤣
Glad you can see the funny side of it :ShitGrinandThumb:

Do me a favor - post a pic of you standing 3 feet away from your bike with a paper towel roll stuck to your ear whilst trying to listen for exhaust leaks :lmao:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:37 pm
Designer wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:44 am
I really shouldn't have to explain this. :uhh: Because,...you are STANDING next to a HOT MOTOR.......and.......the Pipes are LOUD.
If you can't stand closer than 3 feet to your motor because it's too hot then you've got much bigger problems going on. And the exhaust pipes usually point out the back of the bike nowhere near where you would be to listen for exhaust gasket leakage. It's really not that hard once you've done it a couple of times.
hillsy, I didn't say that regular engine heat prevents standing closer than 3 feet.

When I mentioned standing 3 feet away, I was referring to the situation that standing next to your bike, you might not be able to FIRST detect if there even was an Exhaust Leak when just standing there at Idle with Loud Pipes. If you had real professional experience, you'd know that some Exhaust leaks are not that loud at all,...and thus, are not easy to detect from that distance in that situation.

And referring to the Heat, my mentioning that aspect was in reference to the fact that getting closer to the Exhaust Header right at the Cylinder Head (which is where we are talking the leak might be) might not be comfortable to some. It is VERY hot right there (over 500 degrees).
Seems such an obvious thing as that is lacking in your experience also.

So, it's would be best for the all us Board Members here on the Tech Board if you didn't choose to be such a jerk,..... and refrain from your needless argumentative messages, born of your lack of experience and understanding.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:08 am

So, it's would be best for the all us Board Members here on the Tech Board if you didn't choose to be such a jerk,..... and refrain from your needless argumentative messages, born of your lack of experience and understanding.
Dude - you're the fucking jerk here. I mentioned you should be able to hear an exhaust leak at the headers....which is quite easy to audibly detect even if it IS small...and you go on some dumbass crusade about loud pipes and being 3 feet away from the engine with a paper towel roll stuck to you ear? What the fuck is that?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:17 am
Dude - you're the fucking jerk here. I mentioned you should be able to hear an exhaust leak at the headers....which is quite easy to audibly detect even if it IS small...and you go on some dumbass crusade about loud pipes and being 3 feet away from the engine with a paper towel roll stuck to you ear? What the fuck is that?
Dude,...there ARE exhaust leaks that ARE virtually undetectable when standing next to and idling Motorcycle with Loud Pipes. ANYONE who has ANY REAL Mechanical Experience knows THAT.

But,...I guess if your specialty is fixing flats,...that would be A LACKING :dunno:
hillsy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:06 pm
The last few tyres I did was with zip ties. I made a bead breaker out of some scrap steel and the steel post in my garage.
It's pretty easy.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:29 am

Dude,...there ARE exhaust leaks that ARE virtually undetectable when standing next to and idling Motorcycle with Loud Pipes. ANYONE who has ANY REAL Mechanical Experience knows THAT.

Maybe you should take the paper towel roll out of your ears then....

:lmao:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:32 am
Designer wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:29 am
Maybe you should take the paper towel roll out of your ears then....
AH,..so you admit your LACK of Mechanical Experience with the Exhaust LeaK issue I mentioned in the quoted words of mine you chose!

Best you stick to your Specialty of Fixing Flats hillsy, :wink: ..........let The Adults With Experience discuss Mechanical Issues. :Cool:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:35 am

AH,..so you admit your LACK of Mechanical Experience with the Exhaust LeaK issue I mentioned in the quoted words of mine you chose!

:funnylast: Nope.

Dude - I can't help it if you don't know what you are doing - but don't fucking try and discredit my advice when it is just REALLY BASIC stuff. Anyone who's been anywhere near a motorcycle for more than 5 minutes would be able to hear an exhaust leak at the headers - if fact, the smaller the leak, the more pronounced the sound (like a tappet "tick" at times).

Just go back to your political threads and stop trying to cause shit in the tech folders.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

I ain't ever used a bog roll to troubleshoot, but a meter of fuel line is real handy as a poor man's stethoscope.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:20 pm
Designer wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:35 am
:funnylast: Nope.
Dude - I can't help it if you don't know what you are doing - but don't fucking try and discredit my advice when it is just REALLY BASIC stuff. Anyone who's been anywhere near a motorcycle for more than 5 minutes would be able to hear an exhaust leak at the headers - if fact, the smaller the leak, the more pronounced the sound (like a tappet "tick" at times).
Man, you will say anything. :uhh:

I,...for A FACT,...have been around bikes,..WITH LOUD PIPES that have had tiny exhaust leaks that were undetectable because of,...brace yourself,..THE LOUD PIPES.

Most of the Owners were, like 00Vs1400GLP,... having backfire problems, some didn't even know they HAD an exhaust leak, some did. Some tried to cure it with Carb adjustments,...with mixed success.

You get this way whenever you "feel" what someone else posts threatens your notion that only YOU have the right answers,...You seem to think that because you are given a paycheck of working on motorcycles, you have ALL the experience...and no one else has ANY to add.

A Truly Professional Mechanic knows that HE DOESN'T "know-it-all" and that he is Always Learning ,......and knows he CAN LEARN from the Experience Of Others.

Best you take your endlessly bickering little ego and display it on the political threads,.....stop Strutting Around The Tech Board as if you are "The Burning Bush"......Mr. "Electrical Switches" :space: :wink:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Lechy wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:39 am
I ain't ever used a bog roll to troubleshoot, but a meter of fuel line is real handy as a poor man's stethoscope.
That would work well. :ShitGrinandThumb:

At the Time, I didn't have any large enough in diameter to be effective on hand,...so I grabbed the Paper Towel Tube because it's longer than a "Bog Roll" tube. :bow:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

When I worked on the North Sea, many years ago, we got a new Toolpusher who had a load of trouble with my surname, he took to calling me "Electricswitch". A nickname that stuck with me for many years.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:50 am

I,...for A FACT,...have been around bikes,..WITH LOUD PIPES that have had tiny exhaust leaks that were undetectable because of,...brace yourself,..THE LOUD PIPES.

Most of the Owners were, like 00Vs1400GLP,... having backfire problems, some didn't even know they HAD an exhaust leak, some did. Some tried to cure it with Carb adjustments,...with mixed success.

Like I said - I can't help it if you don't know what to listen for. Exhaust leaks at the headers are quite easy to hear in my experience and are usually quite distinctive in their sound. If putting a bog roll against your ear helps your hearing then go for it.

And for the record we have no idea this bike has an exhaust leak at this point anyway.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 3:58 pm
Like I said - I can't help it if you don't know what to listen for. Exhaust leaks at the headers are quite easy to hear in my experience and are usually quite distinctive in their sound. If putting a bog roll against your ear helps your hearing then go for it.
:roll:
As I said;
Designer wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:50 am
...I,...for A FACT,...have been around bikes,..WITH LOUD PIPES that have had tiny exhaust leaks that were undetectable because of,...brace yourself,..THE LOUD PIPES.

You get this way whenever you "feel" what someone else posts threatens your notion that only YOU have the right answers,...You seem to think that because you are given a paycheck of working on motorcycles, you have ALL the experience...and no one else has ANY to add.

A Truly Professional Mechanic knows that HE DOESN'T "know-it-all" and that he is Always Learning ,......and knows he CAN LEARN from the Experience Of Others.
So,...cut the endless bickering you are doing. :space: :space: It serves no constructive purpose.

This is going to sting,...but,...you ARE NOT The End-All-BE-ALL experience with Motorcycles.

LISTEN and LEARN from both Lechy and I.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:31 pm

So,...cut the endless bickering you are doing. :space: :space: It serves no constructive purpose.

Dude - you fucking started it. I said you should be able to hear a leaking header gasket and then you started rambling on about not being able to hear it because you were 3 feet away ....or loud pipes ....or you had a bog roll stuck in your ear or something....

Endless bickering? You're it, son... :HatTip:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

ferfuxake, all I did was to point out one possible cause of backfiring which hadn't been addressed in this thread and all hell breaks loose.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Lechy wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:32 pm
ferfuxake, all I did was to point out one possible cause of backfiring which hadn't been addressed in this thread and all hell breaks loose.
Yeah, happens all the time.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.