Horns

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

Horns

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

Twice over the last two riding days a cage tried to change lanes into me. The stock VS1400 horn just doesn’t get their attention very well when they’re blasting music and not paying attention. What do you all have aftermarket that can actually make some noise? Any good recommendations?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Horns

Post by hillsy »

There is an adjustment screw on the horn which can be turned to adjust the volume. Maybe yours just needs some tweaking?

Having said that the horn on my LC was pretty weak - not sure if it's the same on the 1400's but I never really used it anyway.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:18 pm
Twice over the last two riding days a cage tried to change lanes into me. The stock VS1400 horn just doesn’t get their attention very well when they’re blasting music and not paying attention. What do you all have aftermarket that can actually make some noise? Any good recommendations?
I wired in one of those air-horns with relay.. Think was Wolo badboy.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

+1 wolo badboy or stebel nautilus...both come with a relay.
And they are LOUD.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

I put on a couple of Bosch car horns (through a relay), slightly larger than the original but loud as all hell.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

hillsy wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:25 pm
There is an adjustment screw on the horn which can be turned to adjust the volume. Maybe yours just needs some tweaking?

Having said that the horn on my LC was pretty weak - not sure if it's the same on the 1400's but I never really used it anyway.
Never knew that. I’ll have to look into it.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:59 pm
hillsy wrote:

On the back....

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

That screw is for frequency (tone) adjustment not volume.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Lechy wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:10 pm
That screw is for frequency (tone) adjustment not volume.
If you screw it right in the horn will not work. Call it what you like but it's adjustment will affect the volume.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:59 pm
hillsy wrote:
There is an adjustment screw on the horn which can be turned to adjust the volume. Maybe yours just needs some tweaking? Having said that the horn on my LC was pretty weak - not sure if it's the same on the 1400's but I never really used it anyway.
You can,...but any volume possible increase that may happen will not do the job you are looking for if you want to overcome this:
00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:18 pm
With what I have experienced,....you are best off if you go with what was posted about other Horns.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Meh - if you got time to hit the horn you got time to brake. I rarely use the horn - but when I do it's mostly just to say goodbye when I'm leaving somewhere :ShitGrinandThumb:

But yeah - there's plenty of better horns out there than the stock ones. If you get one with a high power draw you might want to use a relay.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:58 pm
Meh - if you got time to hit the horn you got time to brake. I rarely use the horn - but when I do it's mostly just to say goodbye when I'm leaving somewhere :ShitGrinandThumb:
This displays an overly generalized summation about situation(s) encountered when Riding.
Braking alone DOES NOT always prevent a car from running into you,... or you off the road . A louder horn CAN help prevent the type accident.

This LACK of knowledge within your Cavalier Attitude shows you how much you care about the safety of 00Vs1400.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:14 am

This LACK of knowledge within your Cavalier Attitude shows you how much you care about the safety of 00Vs1400.
Dude - do you even ride?

First rule of riding - you are INVISIBLE. Dont fucking EVER rely on someone else seeing you. If you follow that rule you should by default not put yourself in a compromised position.

By all means get the loudest horn you can find if it makes you feel safe - but don't count on it to save your ass.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I was in stop and go traffic when a woman decided that the space I was in was clear. My lane was barely moving and she was moving into my space. The horn wasn't loud enough, stopping wasn't an option because the traffic wan't moving fast enough in her lane to help.. Moved as far to the next lane as I could. Finally got her attention when I kicked the back door on her car.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:47 am
Dude - do you even ride?
This feces is not even worthy of direct response.
Grow up hillsy,....really,...do that.
hillsy wrote:
...First rule of riding - you are INVISIBLE. Dont fucking EVER rely on someone else seeing you. If you follow that rule you should by default not put yourself in a compromised position.
I learned this when I First started Riding back in 1971....Back before you even started.

BUT,...even all this does NOT mean that a Loud Horn will not HELP.
hillsy wrote:
By all means get the loudest horn you can find if it makes you feel safe - but don't count on it to save your ass.
You'll say anything to TRY TO gloss over your faulty advice here;
hillsy wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:58 pm
Meh - if you got time to hit the horn you got time to brake........

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

hillsy wrote:
Designer wrote:

Dude - do you even ride?

First rule of riding - you are INVISIBLE. Dont fucking EVER rely on someone else seeing you. If you follow that rule you should by default not put yourself in a compromised position.

I always try to ride so I have an “out” if this type of situation arises, and on the interstate here it does happen. That is why I managed to live to ride another day for so long. I want the horn to get their attention so they know they screwed up. Partly in hopes that they’ll learn from this mistake and look for motorcycles next time, and partly as a “F you I’m trying to not get killed here”.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:29 pm
hillsy wrote:
Designer wrote:

Dude - do you even ride?

I always try to ride so I have an “out” if this type of situation arises, and on the interstate here it does happen. That is why I managed to live to ride another day for so long. I want the horn to get their attention so they know they screwed up. Partly in hopes that they’ll learn from this mistake and look for motorcycles next time, and partly as a “F you I’m trying to not get killed here”.
+1 :cheers:
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:10 pm
00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:29 pm
Designer wrote:
+1 :cheers:
00Vs1400. That's the mindset I use when I Ride also. Added to the idea that cars/trucks do not see me.

I have used my Loud Horn while I am making evasive maneuvers to notify errant drivers that I am here. And more often than not, they "Wake Up" and move away from me as I move away from them. Thus, I applaud your quest for a Louder Horn. It can help you Save Your Ass.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

While I have been too cheap and/or lazy, to install one, a loud horn is a good idea. Anything that gets people's attention can't hurt.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

This is the one I always wanted to use. There was a guy with a slingshot that had one and it was a lot louder than even a stock car horn.

forgot to put the link in...

Wolo (619) Big Bad Max Air Horn - 12 Volt, Black

BTW, he had recently moved from bikes to the slingshot. He said that while the slingshot was no more visable to cars than the bike it is a whol lot less manauverable than the bike. The loud horn really helped avoid trouble.