Fork oil

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

Fork oil

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

I recently changed the fork seals and refilled with 10wt oil because that is what the manual called for. I feel like my forks move way too freely. How much effect will different weights of oil have? I guess I’m wondering if I go to 15wt will of make a pretty noticeable difference?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Fork oil

Post by Designer »

When building the Forks on my two Choppers, They had quite different Rake angles between the each of them. and steeper angles than Stock.
I wanted the best possible Ride I could get, so I read up on Fork Oil Viscosity and was amazed to find that what the Oil Weight advertised on the Container was more often than not,.........not the actual Weight installed.

Here's a chart that I hope will help you.;

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

You'll probably find the biggest improvement you can make is new / uprated springs.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

ATF worked fine for me and is easier to find.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

sgtcall wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 4:14 pm
ATF worked fine for me and is easier to find.
Yeah - I ended up buying a 4 litre container of DEX3 which was the same price as one litre of fork oil. Should be enough to do over 6 sets of forks.

Seems to work OK - in fact that's what was specified to use by a lot of bikes back in the 70's when dedicated fork oils were pretty hard to find so it would work fine on Intruders. Not a really high tech fork on these bikes - hence the biggest improvement would be upgraded springs.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

For many years I have had good service from EP68 Hydraulic (not gear) oil. Easier to find over here than fork oil and not expensive.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Lechy wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:17 pm
For many years I have had good service from EP68 Hydraulic (not gear) oil. Easier to find over here than fork oil and not expensive.
That's a pretty heavy oil from what I can see? ATF viscosity is far lighter and closer to regular fork oils.

Not doubting it would work - but there are probably better options for this application.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Hydraulic oil is a lot thinner than than the number implies, the reason I said NOT GEAR. I tried EP 32 just to see how it compared, OK for a well maintained highway but way too thin for the canal roads I usually ride. Probably looking at the difference between SAE 5 and SAE 20. Hydraulic oil is specified by ISO standards, SAE and ISO use two different scales to measure viscosity. SAE 10W is equivalent to ISO 32, SAE 20 is equivalent to ISO 46 and 68, and SAE 30 is equivalent to ISO 100.
Hope this clears things up a bit.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Lechy wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:44 pm
Hydraulic oil is a lot thinner than than the number implies, the reason I said NOT GEAR. I tried EP 32 just to see how it compared, OK for a well maintained highway but way too thin for the canal roads I usually ride. Probably looking at the difference between SAE 5 and SAE 20. Hydraulic oil is specified by ISO standards, SAE and ISO use two different scales to measure viscosity. SAE 10W is equivalent to ISO 32, SAE 20 is equivalent to ISO 46 and 68, and SAE 30 is equivalent to ISO 100.
Hope this clears things up a bit.
So your ep68 is equivalent to 20 weight? If thats the case then its a pretty heavy oil.

But yeah - if it works for you - all good :cheers: