Harley Style Turn Signal Controls

Aequitas4
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 97 Intruder 1400

Harley Style Turn Signal Controls

Post by Aequitas4 »

I am trying to switch out my current handlebar controls for some black control boxes. (Trying to match new black bars)

The new controls I was trying to use are "Harley" style that have a turn signal button on each side rather than a slider/cancel button combo. From what I can tell the Harley's normally use some kind of bank sensor to turn the turn signals off which my intruder doesn't have.

I'm pretty confident I can get the wiring sorted but I'm concerned that pressing the turn signal button on the new boxes will only momentarily keep the signal on until I release the button. Doesn't appear there is any sort of latch on.

Has anyone tried swapping to these Harley style controls or have any suggestions on how I could make this work?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Harley Style Turn Signal Controls

Post by Designer »

Those look kinda BIG. :blink:

When I was making the New Bars/Gauge/Grips/Mirrors/etc. for Black Thunder, I switched to using Controls from Joker Machine. They had the Turn signal Switch Buttons one-on-each each side like you mentioned.

However, they were Momentary Switches though, and needed an electrical "latch" to maintain the connection that actuated the blinking action.

Might want to check to see if those units need something like that.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Pretty sure you will need a HD turn signal relay as well.....and the extra wiring to go with it.

BMW had a similar set-up and it was the relay that allowed the different L/R switches to function / latch. The Suzuki relay is a simple thermal relay and will not do this.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I had a friend that had a sportster that had thos kind of t/s switches but there was no latch, if you let go of the switch the T/S stopped. I don't know if all HDs were the same or it was just his bike. BTW, It was like that when he bought it new.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:41 pm
I had a friend that had a sportster that had thos kind of t/s switches but there was no latch, if you let go of the switch the T/S stopped. I don't know if all HDs were the same or it was just his bike. BTW, It was like that when he bought it new.
They are momentary switches but the signals are supposed to stay on until you press them again - in other words your friends Sportster was faulty in that regard.

I think some of them time out but I can't remember. I'm not a HD guy.

Loudassbrett
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder vs1400

Post by Loudassbrett »

Yea I’ve done the swap on mine and they’re just on while being pressed. I don’t use mine much always but it’s worth the swap vs factory switches. I have 21 street glide bars on it so wiring went through it fine.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Loudassbrett wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:30 am
Yea I’ve done the swap on mine and they’re just on while being pressed. I don’t use mine much always but it’s worth the swap vs factory switches. I have 21 street glide bars on it so wiring went through it fine.
I posted a method that makes these momentary switches work better;
Designer wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:01 am
Those look kinda BIG. :blink:

When I was making the New Bars/Gauge/Grips/Mirrors/etc. for Black Thunder, I switched to using Controls from Joker Machine. They had the Turn signal Switch Buttons one-on-each each side like you mentioned.

However, they were Momentary Switches though, and needed an electrical "latch" to maintain the connection that actuated the blinking action.

Might want to check to see if those units need something like that.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!