Valves noise with warm engine

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 90 Suzuki VS 1400

Valves noise with warm engine

Post by Juan71 »

Hi folks,
get a problem with my 1995 vs 1400.
after a few kilómeters at 140 kmh on the highway, or after a while riding high rpm, i ear a valve noise.
I check the oil and have to refill 300/350 ml.
the noise still there.
I think it's a liftener/s problem.
the question is:
I have to get off the engine from the bike to work on the valves lifteners?
Now I'm using Motul 5100 10w40 the all time oil i have used on my bike and all was good.
P. S. the valve noise starting after the mechanic change the chain tensioners and pistons rings and i try to use the Motul 5100 15w40 that suggests the mechanic.
I live in Canary Islands.
Hoping Someone can give me a hand or opinión.
Thanks in advance
Lamp

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Valves noise with warm engine

Post by Herb »

First of all try changing to 10w40, which is recommended by Suzuki. I tried running the 15w40 and found that I got a lot more valve noise. The ports for the hyd adjusters are very small and the heavier oil doesn't seem to circulate as well as it should. If the temp is below 30C switch to 10w30 for an oil change and see if that helps.

Yes you will need to pull the engine to work on the lifters. Do you have a manual for the bike?

There is a section of the valve cover that is not supposed to have sealant on it. If the mech put it where it doesn't belong there is a chance that it could starve the lifters of oil. I have a pdf of the manual, if you need it pm me with your email address and I will try to send it to you.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

The1Chef
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Vs1400 and Warrior 1700

Re: Valves noise with warm engine

Post by The1Chef »

Herb is correct that the engine has to be removed BUT I found a way to leave it in the frame to do this job. Still everything needs to disconnect and the right side of the frame removed. It only saves you lifting out the motor. I used ratchet straps to hold it up with the frame. This allows you to turn the motor in place. As for the hydrolic tappets in the lifters, if they make noise it is likely that they have seized and offer no cushion. If the mechanic did not bleed them this is likely the case but they may have been seized already. You can revive them. To bleed them you need kerosene paper clip. Luckily mine seized in the fully open position so I was able to use a vise the close them. After that they worked fine and would close and spring back open. Use the paperclip to open the tiny hole on the bottom as you pump the tappet while it is submerged in kerosene. You will see the flow of kerosene coming out of them. When I bought my bike new in 96 it already made noise. The dealer said it was normal and not to worry about it. It bothered me and I did not trust his reply but I rode it this way with no damage for 10 yrs until I had a head gasket leak. When I reassembled and bled the tappets myself, I no longer had lifter noise. I assume that they were not bled properly from the factory. Then recently I had to do it again after the bike sat for many years. Now I have purchased another 1500 that had been sitting years and it also is very noisy. I will bleed them this winter.