Intruder to Harley back to Intruder

joeConnectALL
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 87 Intruder 1400

Intruder to Harley back to Intruder

Post by joeConnectALL »

I’m not sure where to begin. I’m not even sure which forum to post this in so I picked technical because essentially; it comes down to what keeps the wheels turning.

Back in 1987, I was in the market for a motorcycle. I was 24 years old, worked 60 hours a week, was in a union… I wanted a Harley. So I went looking; after talking to a couple of ‘sales people’ that acted as though they were doing me a favor by letting me sit on a couple of bikes- I made my choice. Was told I’d have to go on a waiting list and I needed to put down $1000 for the ‘privilege’. I asked how long and the guy said ;maybe’ by the middle of August- It was May of 1987.

Thankfully; something didn’t sit right with me and I decided to hold off. I wanted a bike in a week, not 16 weeks; and I don’t even know how much it’s going to cost yet. Never got that far in the convo.

I then went to a Suzuki dealer in my own town; I liked the Intruder but the sales guy was a jerk. But sitting on and seeing that Intruder 1400, got me. I ended up going to another Suzuki dealer about 20 miles away 2 towns over. This time; I dealt with a very motivated salesGIRL. I even remember her name - “Jessica”. She was actually the owner’s daughter I found out later. Well Jessica made me feel like, you know, a customer. She answered my questions, knew what she was talking about and then we talked numbers, financing and drive away date. She helped me fill out the paperwork for the loan- ZERO DOLLARS DOWN, and she told me the bike could be picked up “tonight before closing” - not 120 tonights - but TONIGHT. I told her I can wait until the next morning. BTW; I paid $5800 OUT THE DOOR; for a bike with over 70HP. No waiting list- no games with MSRP. Compare that with a 58HP Harley Softail at over $9000 MSRP and who knows what the real price would have been and what the real delivery date would have been.

So between 1987 - 2012 I put over 88,000 miles on the bike. Never had the top end off. The bike never stranded me other than a rear tire flat. Been cross country, back and forth to Florida a couple of times and across Canada. The bike always got me home. Went through 2 stators, 2 clutch packs and I replaced swingarm bearings at about 45,000 miles. Everything else was normal wear and tear; brake pads, tires, oil changes and 2 sets of fork seals. I do all my own wrenching; even do my own tires including static balance. And yes, of course I use Designer Springs :) I did have to rebuild the carbs but that was only because it sat dormant for over 4 years. BTW- This forum was a great help getting it running again… very grateful.

So 2012 arrives and I decide to buy a Harley; I bought a used 2000 FXST and I loved it. Within 2 weeks, needed a stator- ok, I fixed it. Then the bike was fine until I got rear ended while at a stop light. The frame got bent; bike totaled, insurance company treated me fairly. While waiting for settlement; bought a used 1996 FXSTC. Beautiful bike. Insurance money from 1st Harley came in, decided to be the owner of 2 Harleys; saw a great deal on a 2006 Nightrain so I bought it. Both Harleys were private sale purchases.

So for the next 10 years; yes I put a lot of miles on those Harleys but I also put a lot of money into them that shouldn’t have had to. I could go on and on with a list of repairs; including 2 flywheel rebuilds (connecting rod bearings & races), broken piston skirt, head gaskets, stators, hydraulic lifers, can tensioners, etc. Oh, and the ‘special’ tools you need to do even the simple stuff like replacing clutch plates… eye opening— and wallet draining.

I realize I’m preaching to the choir but truth be told, the Intruder is the better bike. I’d like to think it’s probably the most underrated cruiser of all time. Think about it- 70+ HP off the showroom floor 35 years ago for a little over half the price of a Harley. Do you know how much money you have to spend on a Harley in ‘upgrades’ to get to 70HP? The Intruder is more responsive and MUCH more reliable, I thankfully held on to my 1987, got it running again and it is NOW my daily once again. In fact - in the last 12 days- I put 2000 miles on it just to get ‘reacquainted’. Great way to spend a vacation.

I’m currently selling my 1996 Harley FXSTC and my 2006 FXSTBi (Nightrain). They are now running great- I will never sell anybody a bad anything. I also built a custom Harley that I’m keeping. The bike has more Made In USA parts on it than anything coming out of Harley’s showrooms today.

Regardless of what you ride, Ride safe.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Intruder to Harley back to Intruder

Post by Designer »

:clap: Thanks for The Reading. I enjoyed your Stories told.

I too, agree with what you say. I have been the Ride Leader for my Local Riding Group for some 19 years now. And it never fails that you will hear of some serious breakdowns/costly repairs, etc. similar or worse than yours amongst the Harley Riders.

Not knocking the Brand, I like them. Just relating what I have seen that echoes what you said.

I have a 1987, 1996, 1997 1400. The 1997 was really an "donor" bike for my Spring Tail Chopper that was based on a Special Hard-tail looking Frame from Germany.

Keep us informed about your Riding!

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Gotta Love the Intruder!!! :ShitGrinandThumb:
IIRC Jessica was Hot. :cheers:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I kind of miss my Intruder but it has a good home now and I have cruise control and a fuel gauge. At fist the fuel gauge was my favorite upgrade but I am liking the cruise control more and more.

If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

joeConnectALL
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 87 Intruder 1400

Post by joeConnectALL »

navigator wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:59 am
Gotta Love the Intruder!!! :ShitGrinandThumb:
IIRC Jessica was Hot. :cheers:
If we're talking about the same Jessica, at the time... I was too 'smitten' by the Intruder to take full notice but yes... she was indeed easy to look at :) I'm assuming you're from the same place where the watah is fine and everything is 'wickid excellent' :cheers:

BABIS
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Post by BABIS »

I loved this story! I really like to talk with "first hand" intruder owners
We declare that the splendour of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing automobile with its bonnet adorned with great tubes like serpents with explosive breath ... a roaring motor car which seems to run on machine-gun fire is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

BABIS wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:53 pm
I loved this story! :space: I really like to talk with "first hand" intruder owners
Me Too! :ShitGrinandThumb: :space: In fact,...I have had conversations with some of them from, .......:ahha: .....ITALY! :ShitGrin:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!