Help me with Surging issues please

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Help me with Surging issues please

Post by Herb »

An exhaust leak or to open of exhaust can cause popping on decel and surging. This is especially true at the point the carb is transitioning from the idle circuit to the main.

Another thing that can cause it is pinholes in the piston diaphrams.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

thedaydreamer wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:36 am
sent you email, let me know if you got it
yesss-SIREE! :ShitGrin: :space: I got it and responded. :ShitGrinandThumb:

I believe it would be most goodest if we worked on your two issues here on The Board. :space: That way everyone can be a part of it (should they want to) ....and it gets kept in our "library" of problem-solving motorcycle issues.

About the Popping, were you able to discern of it was one or both cylinders ?

I know that what Herb says about an Exhaust Leak is true for popping, but I have not had a surging problem so I cannot speak to that. :space: The leak I had was right at the Header-to-Cylinder Head joint. I tightened the two Header Bolts and,....no more popping. :space:

Could you check yours and see? If they are tight (and not leaking) the next thing that can be a causation of popping on decel is the Coasting Valve. Certainly though,...both issues are not caused by an ovaled Main Jet, so let's refrain from all the work/hassles of taking the Carbs off for now.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

thedaydreamer
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 Intruder VS1400

Post by thedaydreamer »

Hey Designer, Can we talk about your springs here? I didnt see any messages in my inbox but can talk here if you like

The decel seems to "pop" just once at times upon decel out of the left side I think, but it doesnt really concern me as much as the surging and speed that just does not feel like it should

I cant find any leaks at the head, I pulled the diaphrams again and they look good,,,

Im feeling like I may have to pull the carbs again and inspect the jet oraface for "ovaling"

I have the cobra slash cut slipons and frankly they are not ballsy enough on sound, and on the right muffler you can actually grab the end and you can rotate it a bit, but NOT the left side

I feel like I want a full exhasut solution, I can get my hands on these jardine full exhasut drags with some baffling, I hear they are great pipes, Id like some more agressive sound, and if tuned with the dynojet needles it could rock

I wouldnt mind getting a new set of diaphrams and the dynojet needles so I can play around and see if that fixes it

You think maybe the OEM pilots are too small and to step them up one notch?

thedaydreamer
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 Intruder VS1400

Post by thedaydreamer »

Do any of you guys have experience with the dynojet upgrades? its mostly the clip and the needles

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

thedaydreamer wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:34 pm
Do any of you guys have experience with the dynojet upgrades? its mostly the clip and the needles
I tried the stage one system with a more open exhaust system. It sucked. Top end power went down, gas mileage went down, and it was too damn loud.

Took it off and went back to the V&H Classic II's. The only thing I left was the drilled out slides and the bike ran really well.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

thedaydreamer wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:32 am
Hi all
2000 Vs14000, came to me a bit dirty and with no mufflers

I did full maitnence on this bike, both carbs fully disasembled meticulusly cleaned, all OEM components except for new bowl gaskets and float needles and I added one extra shim underneath the OEM one, carbs synced both high and low speed

I added cobra slash cut slipons, jets are all OEM and mixture screws are 2.5 out in front and 1.75 rear
Bike is fast for sure, but I am expericecing slight surging at low speeds, top end and throttle response is great with no flat spots or issues
AND is seems like the idle is off, not clean and erratic and the left muffler does not sound like the right, its weaker and piffy at times
Comprression is 165 on both cylinders, new plugs, and oil

I cannot dectect any vaccum leaks and it feels like some sort of idle circuit issue and when I was doing the low speed sync and bringing the sync guages close, it seems like the closer I got the more erratic the idle got, I have no reason to belive the guages are off, but should I tune to the guages or my ear?

Any ideas from here or am I missing something?

TY all
Just a thought. Have you tried Seafoam? Add 3-4 ounces to each tank of gas for the next 3 fill ups and see if that helps. Also add an ounce or two to a tank every couple of months just to keep it cleaned out.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.