Front cylinder misfire

MarcJr
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1992 Suzuki intruder vs1400

Front cylinder misfire

Post by MarcJr »

I’ve run into a problem with my 92 vs1400. The front cylinder is not firing. When choked both cylinder seem to fire but when off choke the front cylinder does not. I took out the spark plug and grounded it to the head and it has spark. I cleaned both carbs and it has fuel but still seems like the front is starving for fuel. There is compression and the exhaust valves are moving. I can’t figure out why is it missing and why it only seems to miss unchoked. If anyone has any thoughts ide love to hear em.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Front cylinder misfire

Post by hillsy v2 »

Is it only at low revs / idling?

If so could be a block idle / pilot jet circuit.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

You mentioned you cleaned both carbs, did you get them re synced properly?
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

MarcJr
Tricycles are Cool

Post by MarcJr »

sgtcall wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:51 pm
You mentioned you cleaned both carbs, did you get them re synced properly?
I did not re sync them correctly yet it had the issue before I removed and cleaned the carbs.

MarcJr
Tricycles are Cool

Post by MarcJr »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:37 pm

It seems to only be at low speeds and ideling
Choke on bike runs good revs nice and has good throttle response
Choke off bike does not Rev well what so ever and has trouble getting to high speeds
Carb rebuild kit I got didn’t have the jets just the gaskets so I replaced what I could and cleaned the rest. It didn’t seem to have a blockage anywhere and the jets seemed open.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

MarcJr wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:22 am
hillsy v2 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:37 pm

It seems to only be at low speeds and ideling
Choke on bike runs good revs nice and has good throttle response
Choke off bike does not Rev well what so ever and has trouble getting to high speeds
Carb rebuild kit I got didn’t have the jets just the gaskets so I replaced what I could and cleaned the rest. It didn’t seem to have a blockage anywhere and the jets seemed open.
The passageways behind the pilot jets and idle screws are notorious for getting blockages and these can only be cleaned out with compressed air and carb cleaner. Some people have had luck with getting the gunk out with an ultrasonic cleaner but results can vary.

You say this condition was there before you cleaned the carbs? I'd say there is still some crud in the passageways. We had one guy with the same problem a while back and he ended up having four goes at cleaning the circuits before the bike ran well. Last one he tried was ultrasonic.

You have to be thorough with this stuff. You can't really see if you have all the crap out so you kinda have to go overboard with the cleaning.

BTW - did you remove the idle mixture screws when you cleaned the carbs? From the factory they are covered with a plug but they are here (random pic I stole from Google search):