hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Bike is eating batteries

Post by hillsy v2 »

:putput:
thedaydreamer wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:26 pm
Its acting real strange, if i replace the fuse lights go on,plug under seat ignition in, blows fuse
Put new fuse in, plug back in, start bike, went about 50ft, bike turned off
Sounds like you have a short in the wiring somewhere.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Search the wiring to see if something is burnt. This includes unplugging every connector you can find and check to see if it is still good. You don't want to see something like this.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

thedaydreamer
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 Intruder VS1400

Post by thedaydreamer »

Ok is this mostly and inspection thing or is there some testing I can do with a mulitmeter?

It almost seems like a "loose" wire going to ground maybe, the key turns on with power, but sometimes when you go to start it it blows the fuse,,,,then I put another fuse it and pluged the under seat ignition in and blew the fuse,,,,THEN next fuse I put it bike actually started, rode about 50ft and bike totaly cut off with no power, how would you suggest I test from here?

TY

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

You have a major short to ground in th electrics. These can be a major pita to find. Start with a visual inspection of wiring. for burned/chafed wires, pinched wires, bare wires, burned plugs, etc.

BTW, it is not a good idea to plug or unplug electrical items with power on the system.

Make sure you check any place you have worked on recently, and if you have ever had the tank off check under it very carefully. There are a lot of wires under it that can get pinched/rubbed.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Herb is correct and I should have mentioned it. Please disconnect the battery before playing with the wiring.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

thedaydreamer
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 Intruder VS1400

Post by thedaydreamer »

Guys awsome stuff,,,,,I MAY have solved the issues but not sure 100%, if you know the Intruder 1400 the ignition is under the seat and there are 2 groups of wires that connect igniton and there are 2 groups that run under the seat along the metal fender,,,there was a 2in portion of those wires along the fender that were not taped and "smooshed" against the metal frame,,,I E-taped them up real nice, I lifted tank and took off seat and noticed that the ignition wires were not taped and looked at one point to be, I E-taped the ignitiion wires and made sure they were all nice, upon inspection of this bike the electrical system looks very clean, no burns or frayed wires,,,I fired it right up and took a good 10 min ride CLOSE TO MY HOUSE I dont want to push this 560lb bike home anymore LOL,,,,,all went really well,,,,I need to do more testing at this point I dont know how else to verify there are no more shorts outside of riding it,,,,,TY you guys again and I will keep this thread open until I am certain!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

thedaydreamer wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:25 pm
Guys awsome stuff,,,,,I MAY have solved the issues but not sure 100%, if you know the Intruder 1400 the ignition is under the seat and there are 2 groups of wires that connect igniton and there are 2 groups that run under the seat along the metal fender,,,there was a 2in portion of those wires along the fender that were not taped and "smooshed" against the metal frame,,,I E-taped them up real nice, I lifted tank and took off seat and noticed that the ignition wires were not taped and looked at one point to be, I E-taped the ignitiion wires and made sure they were all nice, upon inspection of this bike the electrical system looks very clean, no burns or frayed wires,,,I fired it right up and took a good 10 min ride CLOSE TO MY HOUSE I dont want to push this 560lb bike home anymore LOL,,,,,all went really well,,,,I need to do more testing at this point I dont know how else to verify there are no more shorts outside of riding it,,,,,TY you guys again and I will keep this thread open until I am certain!
That's good news.

Now - you should check your charging at the battery. Something like the short you have experienced could easily damage your RR and / or stator.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

thedaydreamer wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:25 pm
Sounds good. Hope it has solved all of your issues.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.