Main fuse keeps blowing

thedaydreamer
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 Intruder VS1400

Main fuse keeps blowing

Post by thedaydreamer »

Hi guys
So I came out today to troubleshoot the issues with the bike turning off, I decided to check the the fuses and the 25a was shorted, I replaced it, key turned on, got lights,,, got bike together, turned key and no power, again 25a fuse burnt,,,,when I went to put another 25 in the moment I put the fuse in it got zaped and burnt,,,,I noticed today when I chenged the battery I was getting a little sparks when I connected the terminal which I have never seen,,,so where should I trouble shoot from here? is there a ground issue or short somewhere? not sure what to do next,,,the only thing I did recently was take the bottom 8 bolt housing and let it drop down where the brake and clutch is so I could put in the new exhaust,,,any ideas what I should do next? TY

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Main fuse keeps blowing

Post by Herb »

Check the wiring to the sidestand switch and the brake light switch.

I didn't properly secure the wires to the sidestahd switch and they got against the exhaust pipe, melted and shorted out. someone on the old board had the wires to the brake light switch short out.

When ever you have a problem always check the area you worked in last.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

HAGARMOTO
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 Thumpa and 1997 VS1400

Re: Main fuse keeps blowing

Post by HAGARMOTO »

You 100% have a short Palmer.

Had the same thing with one of mine and it turned out to be the wiring in the control switches on the handlebars. One of the positive sides of a switch had gone brittle and snapped and was in contact with the handlebar. Everytime I turned on the ignition, POP, fuse blown.

The good news is, it's an easy fix...the bad news is finding it will be like a needle in a haystack.

I opted to build a full wiring loom. Lots of work and not cheap but rest easy knowing its all good for another 20-30 years now.

Best wishes,

H.