Where to purchase a new key for my 2002 Intruder

Rockdoc
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2002 VS1400GLP

Where to purchase a new key for my 2002 Intruder

Post by Rockdoc »

Hi all y'all,

Fortunately, I do have an ignition key for my 2002 VS1400 Intruder. However, I've been stymied several times trying to find a spare key for the bike. What I heard from the local Suzuki dealer in Sierra Vista AZ is that Suzuki no longer supplies the needed key blank. They suggested a local locksmith. When I went to the locksmith, not only did he not have the proper blank but said that it was no longer available through his supplier.

Does anyone, anywhere, know where I can purchase a the proper key blank for my Intruder?

Steve

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Where to purchase a new key for my 2002 Intruder

Post by navigator »

There were 4 different key blanks for the ignition, based on the groove locations and widths.
Ebay has a ton of them, but you would need a good picture / description to get the correct one.
I would suggest a different locksmith, I ran into a similar situation and found that Yamaha key blanks work.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

If you can find a pair of keys that match hillsy did a good thread on how to re key the locks.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13520&p=203894&hil ... ng#p203894
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Rockdoc
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rockdoc »

Dang, you guys are good! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'm currently spending the holidays with my daughter in Denver but I'll be ordering a new key blank this evening. BTW, it appears to be F.

Thanks again!
Steve

PS if you've ever read Elspeth Beard's book Lone Rider about her early 1980's trip around the world on her 1974 BMW, when she needed a new key while in India a locksmith made her a new key from scratch out of a piece of aluminum bar stock!

Rockdoc
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rockdoc »

The key blank I ordered arrived a few days ago and when I visually compared it with the key I already have it appears to be the correct blank. However, I'm currently in the Denver area spending the holidays with my daughter. When I return to Arizona I'll ride the bike into town and have a new key made from the blank I just purchased.

I'll let y'all know, probably in early January, if the new blank I purchased is good or not.

Steve

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Sounds like it's good.
Enjoy the holidays! :cheers:

Rockdoc
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Rockdoc »

Dang, time flies! When I got home the first week in January I had my new key cut and it works just fine. I used it to start the bike and then I rode it 20 miles into the country to a small craft brewery I enjoy and had a bowl of chili and two beers to celebrate, a stout and an IPA. Since then it's been a little nippy to do much riding. This living in far SE Arizona turns you into a real weather wimp!

Steve

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Glad it worked out, I love craft beer and stouts. :cheers: