Tube to tubeless tire conversion

mikebet45
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2001 Intruder 1400

Tube to tubeless tire conversion

Post by mikebet45 »

This has probably been discussed elsewhere on this board but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I had to replace the rear tire anyway so while I had it off decided to go tubeless. Main reason for this was for easier roadside repair with "sticky string" patches if I picked up a nail or something. I have used them before with good luck. Anyway I sealed each spoke seat hole individually with black silicone sealant, then put a couple of wraps of Gorilla tape over all. I used the 90 degree valve stem from the old tube and sealed it into the hole with more black silicone, then snugged down the holding nut. Did this about six months ago and up to now the rear is actually holding air better than the front, only down a pound or two when I checked a few days ago and that may have been due to the cold weather now. I'm not recommending or endorsing this idea for anyone else, but just relating my experience in case anyone is interested. I'll do the same with the front when I get around to changing the tire.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Tube to tubeless tire conversion

Post by sgtcall »

Glad it worked out for you and your method seems much easier than others I have seen.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.