Fuel Pump Leak

1lowcountry
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Fuel Pump Leak

Post by 1lowcountry »

Hey y'all,

Are fuel pumps serviceable? I've got fuel slowly seeping out from around the top of the cap at the bottom of the pump (if that makes any sense). Is there a seal inside that can be replaced?

Thanks...

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Fuel Pump Leak

Post by Herb »

I don't remember anyone posting about a sucessfully servicing a leaking fuel pump.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

I pulled one apart a while back - they seal by the crimps on one half of the body (refer 2nd pic) so getting them back together without leaks would be pretty hard.

You can get rebuild kits for some but these are just the electronic points - short answer is no, not rebuildable.

1lowcountry
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1lowcountry »

So yeah, it seems like the crimps are the only things sealing the unit... and that's where the leak was coming from.

Needless to say, I went ahead and wrapped the area with teflon before putting it back together and crimping it... no leaks so far.

Not sure how long this will hold, but it's good to know at least that it can be done.

Thanks for the advice

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

So, we now know that they can be repaired.

Thanks for letting us know what you found.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

1lowcountry wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:27 pm
So yeah, it seems like the crimps are the only things sealing the unit... and that's where the leak was coming from.

Needless to say, I went ahead and wrapped the area with teflon before putting it back together and crimping it... no leaks so far.

Not sure how long this will hold, but it's good to know at least that it can be done.

Thanks for the advice
I'd be wary of a "patch" fix on these things - you might still get fuel leaking into the area where the points are - they spark in normal operation.

1lowcountry
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1lowcountry »

Y'all were right... I was wrong... thing started leaking the next day. So new fuel pump it is.

I don't think sparking at the points is an issue because it was just seeping out at the bottom around the crimps so it's not like the gas was getting closer to the points.

Thanks again.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

1lowcountry wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:49 pm
Y'all were right... I was wrong... thing started leaking the next day. So new fuel pump it is.

I don't think sparking at the points is an issue because it was just seeping out at the bottom around the crimps so it's not like the gas was getting closer to the points.

Thanks again.
Good call - last thing you want is a fire starting while you are out riding - just ask Colin how that feels.......

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

I fitted one of these, US$ 30 made in Taiwan. Suited to small Mitsu's and Nissans, all I had to do was to cut off the mounting eyes then it fit perfectly. No problems in 3 years,

Grow old disgracefully young man.

mikebet45
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2001 Intruder 1400

Post by mikebet45 »

Just be sure you don't replace the pump with a fuel injection type. That 40-60 psi will have gas spraying everywhere. Hmmm...I may have stumbled onto the premise of a sabotage murder mystery plot. Hollywood here I come!