How To: Steering Head Bearings

Pegdragger
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 S83 Boulevard

Re: How To: Steering Head Bearings

Post by Pegdragger »

Good write up. Only thing I would say is if you do it just replace the outer races... There a pita for sure to get out hard to get in. But I'd much rather keep the same bearings together just so you know your good to go... You dont want premature wear then have to do it again 10000 miles down the road. I replaced mine at 42000 miles... What a huge difference. Would of never known they were that bad.
:putput: Instagram - pegdragger . Uncorked vs1400 stage 3. Progressive fork springs. 12" rear shocks. Custom made handle bars, blinker housings, seat, drag pipes. Designer springs. Ride 1k in a day . blue ridge, tail of the dragon from Vermont 2x. Yellow stone, estes park, million dollar hwy, moab, window rock, grand canyon, death valley, serria Nevada's, US rt66, US rt 50 rider.

Pvt_Nemesis
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2006 S83 Boulevard

Post by Pvt_Nemesis »

Well, at least for the S83, you have no choice but to totally remove the headlight and disconnect EVERY wire that comes from the bikes main loom. Since this penetrates the lower triple clamp there is not the length available to remove the bearing shaft from the steering stem. Each wire and connection has to be fed back out of the lamp to the triple clamp and the upper has to be lowered to feed clutch cable through lower!
Ya hya chouhada!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Pegdragger wrote:Good write up. Only thing I would say is if you do it just replace the outer races... There a pita for sure to get out hard to get in. But I'd much rather keep the same bearings together just so you know your good to go... You dont want premature wear then have to do it again 10000 miles down the road. I replaced mine at 42000 miles... What a huge difference. Would of never known they were that bad.
Holy shit - only just seen this now but yes - ALWAYS change the races with the bearings. That's a no brainer.