hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:07 am
azazelakira wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:34 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:16 pm
"needlessly welding" ?

Just wow.
If he hasn't welded in 20 years and he says is not rusting, then no weld is needed. Now if you think different, you are entitled to it.
It's not about rusting - it's about structural integrity of the swingarm. There's a bunch of sharp corners there without any radius for a start which are prone to attracting cracks. There's really a stack of red flags with that idea but feel free to copy by all means.
I will, Thank you
More RPMs please :putput:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Swingarm Mods

Post by Designer »

azazelakira wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 pm
I for sure will be asking more questions when the time comes, I am still an OTR driver until next month, then I will be a broke Electician Apprentice, but been that I will have the time to play with my toys, the big thing will be the paint I think I will send it to powder coat depending on color. Will figure it out when that time is comming. Thank god we still have you here otherwise all this knowlege had been lost.
Just to clarify, this Mod does not require repainting/ refinishing. After the cutting, I smoothed out the surfaces cut and radiused the edges, thus left the paint as it originally was. After done, I buffed out the paint, and touched up the "road nicks" and all is well! :ShitGrin:

As to structural integrity, there are no issues. The cut pretty much removed just the flat metal portion of the Swingarm, which is nowhere near 1/3 the diameter of the Swing Arms " leg". Furthermore, when everything is all bolted together, (Wheel/Tire, Axle, Rear Drive, etc.) there is no torsional/ deflectional forces strong enough that would cause any cracking at all. And over 160,000 miles of Riding pretty much proves that. :wink:

I lean this Bad Boy deep in corners and that is when any such twisting of the Swingarm Assembly would occur. (Axle versus Swing Arm Pivot)

nothing. :dunno: So,....No Worries Mate! :ShitGrinandThumb:

When you are ready, I'll be there for you,...just ask. :bow:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Good luck with it. You may or may not need it.

Do yourself a favour though azazelakira - if you know someone at a machine shop go and ask them if this is a good idea. Pretty sure we all know what the answer will be and at a minimum they would probably recommend welding a plate in to minimise any potential cracking points and retain strength.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

I received a PM about this Mod from the OP and to keep it preserved so all can learn how to create this for themselves, I am posting the contents of his message here on his Thread.
Designer wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:22 pm
azazelakira wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:24 pm
Mr. I would like to see if you can sell me 2 of those plates for the swingarm. Also I am curious if you have any other products for the VS1400 for sale?
That Plate was made for this Project only, so I don't have one for sale.

However, they are easy to make. And I can tell you how when you are doing this project.

Let's move this conversation over to your Thread, so I have more room and we can "record" this project for all to see and learn from, okay? -Ed

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

azazelakira wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:17 pm
Hey guys like some of you know I been looking to fit a little bigger tire and wheel on the rear, but I don't want to expend an arm and a leg on Modifications. Does somebody knows how to fit a 18x5.5 wheel on the rear with the original swingarm? Or making minimal Modifications?
Now that we established the Swing Arm Mod that is Time Tested ( 20 years) and Mileage Tested ( 160,000 Miles) to be Solidly Structurally Sound and that will keep that Hard-Earned $2500 in your pocket, let's discuss the Tire Size you were thinking of installing. That is a Design Factor that is fundamental, after all. :wink:

azazelakira
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: VS1400 2002

Post by azazelakira »

Designer wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:02 am
azazelakira wrote:
Hey guys like some of you know I been looking to fit a little bigger tire and wheel on the rear, but I don't want to expend an arm and a leg on Modifications. Does somebody knows how to fit a 18x5.5 wheel on the rear with the original swingarm? Or making minimal Modifications?
Now that we established the Swing Arm Mod that is Time Tested ( 20 years) and Mileage Tested ( 160,000 Miles) to be Solidly Structurally Sound and that will keep that Hard-Earned $2500 in your pocket, let's discuss the Tire Size you were thinking of installing. That is a Design Factor that is fundamental, after all. :wink:
So my idea is to mount a 200 size tire, like you advise I may look in the metzeler one, I have a front wheel inferno that is for a harley, I need to get a blank wheel 18x5.5 and make it look similar to the front, and then rechrome both of them, that is why saving that quantity of money is needed. Here is a pic of the original inferno.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

azazelakira wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:18 pm
Designer wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:02 am
azazelakira wrote:
So my idea is to mount a 200 size tire, like you advise I may look in the metzeler one, I have a front wheel inferno that is for a harley, I need to get a blank wheel 18x5.5 and make it look similar to the front, and then rechrome both of them, that is why saving that quantity of money is needed. Here is a pic of the original inferno.
R C components did make a solid Rear Wheel for the 1400, but a quick check of their Site didn't come up with it available.

Though it may not be listed, they probably still have the CNC Machining Program and can make one for you. Do you have the machining Shop that could make it look like the Inferno Front Wheel you now have?

As to Tires, can you tell me which one you had in mind? I can then check it's dimensions.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

As far as wheels go - why don't you get some wider rims laced up to your VS hubs? Would look a lot classier than some OCC wheels and far easier to fit.

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

I been looking at tires, I am a fan of Avon Cobra Chrome. But I came to find out yesterday that the factory closed the doors in December. So I am left with the option of the Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra in 200/50R18. I think is the best looking one. Altho the place where I am going to buy the blank wheel looks to sell some other brand of tires. Here is the link for the site.
https://msiwheelblanks.com/tires.html

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:49 pm
As far as wheels go - why don't you get some wider rims laced up to your VS hubs? Would look a lot classier than some OCC wheels and far easier to fit.
I already bought the front wheel for the project, and I want matching wheels, I also need the front end from a Suzuki Marauder 800.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

azazelakira wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:20 pm
I been looking at tires, I am a fan of Avon Cobra Chrome. But I came to find out yesterday that the factory closed the doors in December. So I am left with the option of the Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra in 200/50R18. I think is the best looking one. Altho the place where I am going to buy the blank wheel looks to sell some other brand of tires. Here is the link for the site.
https://msiwheelblanks.com/tires.html
I will check this New Site out tomorrow for you. :bow:

What what could be more classy than an aluminum wheel? :dunno:

They never rust, nor even need alignment, and far easier to keep clean. I've been running mine of 20 years now and always get compliments on them.

You are On The Right Track. :wink:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:22 pm

What what could be more classy than an aluminum wheel? :dunno:
Spokey dokes are timeless - pretty much on anything. Those flame cut out aluminium things are SO dated.

I will admit however - your chopper wheels are pretty nice. Reminds me a bit of the Invader steel wheels from the 70's.

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

At Designer. I just like that design.

At Hillsy V2, I guess I am dated. I like more aluminum wheels than spoke wheels. That is just me.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

azazelakira wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:49 pm
At Designer. I just like that design.
Checked out the Site in the link, and I swear,....the tread design in the fist picture ( blackwalls) looks exactly like Metzlers ME 880!. ( not, of course, the MEE888). Is that why you like them?
azazelakira wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:20 pm
...... Altho the place where I am going to buy the blank wheel looks to sell some other brand of tires. Here is the link for the site. https://msiwheelblanks.com/tires.html
After looking over the Tire Size Chart, it sure does look kinda like they have the ME880 molds from Metzeler! :blink:

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

Very little difference, the bad part of the MSI is that they deal with whole sale more than individuals.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

azazelakira wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:18 am
Very little difference, the bad part of the MSI is that they deal with whole sale more than individuals.
Does that cut you out?

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

I am going to get the wheel from here, I have no Idea if they will sell me just 2 tires, I'll ask when time comes.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Any Updates on your quest?

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

No, like I said this is going to take a long time, I am in the process to get the wheel and send it to machine. That will take a good 6 months or so.
Meanwhile, how do you meassure where I should make the "notch" in the swing arm? I am going with the Metzeler tires

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

azazelakira wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:28 pm
No, like I said this is going to take a long time, I am in the process to get the wheel and send it to machine. That will take a good 6 months or so.
Meanwhile, how do you meassure where I should make the "notch" in the swing arm? I am going with the Metzeler tires
Get the tire. Measure the diameter at the widest tire section. Divide by 2. Use that measurement, Find the center of the axle opening in the swingarm. Measure from the axle centerline out to the point to be notched.